LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Errrthang Desean Jackson Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
The cap is bout to have a major increase. No team is really going to be hurting that much going forward. Niners could have fit him in if they wanted to, and it wouldn't have killed them in the future..
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Well at least now we can move on past this and discuss a trade for Andre Johnson

Would rather this anyway. Andre/Crabs/Boldin/VD for a year would be unreal.
Originally posted by nj9er:
Not too upset we didn't get him for the 2nd time (Balmer face palm). It seems like we pushed harder for WR in FA than for cornerback.Talib, Revis or DRC were never really mentioned considering they got similar money to DJax. It's curious since we already have 2 quality WR and one good corner. I have to believe the WR in this draft that we like maybe out of our reach and after Watkins or Evans they aren't sold on this class for WR. Maybe they really like this class for CB. From what I hear we pushed for 3 or 4 WR since October and one CB. I think FO maybe hoping Evans falls to a spot they are willing to trade up to.

Very true. Or it could be a sign that they think negotiating with Crabtree back will be an issue. After the stunts he pulled negotiating his rookie deal. So you go out and push for Desean and if you got him then you have major leverage over Crabtree and can afford to let him walk b/c you already have his replacement. Or maybe they were just pushing for a dynamic player that would open this offense up. Hopefully they find that guy in the draft. I'm sure you can never be sold on any of these draft prospects til you get them in coach them up and see them perform. They might have wanted a proven commodity b/c they are in win now mode. Probably a combo of everything.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
DeShawn gets 3 yrs/$24M. $16M guaranteed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/02/jackson-deal-not-signed-yet-full-guarantee-will-be-16-million/
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:22 AM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/02/jackson-deal-not-signed-yet-full-guarantee-will-be-16-million/

Sooo, what's the over under on when he request a renegotiation?
Originally posted by Geeked:

Week 1
I would not want any part of this guy on my team. Time to move on.
So hes getting paid less than he was in Philly... lol
3 years 24 mill is a very fair deal. Not overpaid at all.
Originally posted by Geeked:

April 3rd, 2014.

Originally posted by gato80:
49ers are oh-fer this offseason when "showing interest" in receivers.

That's because they are lowballing all of them because they already have 2 starters, a good young player in Patton, and are just looking for another guy to stretch the field.

Jackson is probably the only one they were ever going to offer significant money to because he was the only one who was a game changer.

They were never going to break the bank on any of the other guys when they might very well be able to get what then need on draft day.

My thought from the very beginning with Jackson is not that the 49ers wouldn't have interest in him. It was that I didn't think he'd want to be in SF with Crab, Boldin, and Vernon taking catches away from him on an already run based offense.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Apr 2, 2014 at 8:10 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xela510:

Yeah, but Niners couldn't compete with that.
Originally posted by xela510:

Yeah, but Niners couldn't compete with that.

Hope Crabtree gets a similar deal to that
I dont know why we were ever in the running for D-Jax.

He has major off the field issues and is a royal pain in the ass on the field demanding more money while under contract, and who can forget him dropping the ball before he crossed the goal line!

Spending that amount of cash when you have Boldin and Crabtree is just not a smart move. We dont use 3WR sets often, and when we do, i think Patton (and more importantly) V. Davis should be lined up as 3rd WR with McDonald blocking. Everyone is quick to point out the mismatch Crooks or other small, speedy WRS would bring to opposing defences, but what about V.Davis mismatch?

I found the 49ers vs Falcons NFCC game from 2 yrs ago on my PVR. Davis was a beast down the field for us. Its great he caught 13TDs last year, but i think we can use him even more. get him 80+ catches.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i am glad this has been put to bed. we got two good guys right now and there was no need to get into a pissing war with this guy. what we need we can get in the draft, develop patton and jon b and maybe pick up a castoff after june first. the only people who are upset here are the people who actually fooled themselves into thinking we were going to get him. what is the phrase they use??BOOK IT i think
Share 49ersWebzone