LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Errrthang Desean Jackson Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Can't wait to draft and develop a receiver. We're so good at doing that... FML.

I'm sure we'll have one ready in 3-4 years lol
Originally posted by 4ML:
Originally posted by baltien:
I honestly don't understand this. Right now, our defense is playing lights out. This is our window. We need to go make a bold statement. We missed out big time on this. We need that spark on offense and DeSean was exactly what we needed. Seattle secondary hasn't done so well against smaller but fast and quick WRs.

Maybe he didn't want to play here for less money and a reduced role?

Why is that so hard for some of you to understand?

lol...he'd be as good as Crabtree or better had he signed with us. Doubt there was going to be a reduced role.

It hard for me to understand because there is a small window to win the SB and we needed to be aggressive. Philly stupidly let go of a Pro-Bowl WR and we failed to capitalize on their mistake.

This was our opportunity to strike big. Let Seattle know we're coming for them. We could have put a little fear in them. We missed that chance. I don't get why it's so hard for some of you to not understand that.

With what money? We barely have enough to pay the draft picks, let alone a money hungry receiver. If we had the cap space then i'm sure he wouldve been a niner by now.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
With what money? We barely have enough to pay the draft picks, let alone a money hungry receiver. If we had the cap space then i'm sure he wouldve been a niner by now.

We're gonna get plenty of cap relief on June 1st. We don't need to sign our draft picks before that. Also, couple of restructures would have done it. The way contracts are signed - you can easily structure the contract so the base salary is low in the 1st year and bonus is spread over 3-4 years.
I was wondering which way he was going to go, for the ring or for the cash. What's the over/under on when he'll want a new contract?
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Apr 2, 2014 at 12:31 AM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I honestly don't understand this. Right now, our defense is playing lights out. This is our window. We need to go make a bold statement. We missed out big time on this. We need that spark on offense and DeSean was exactly what we needed. Seattle secondary hasn't done so well against smaller but fast and quick WRs.

Maybe he didn't want to play here for less money and a reduced role?

Why is that so hard for some of you to understand?

lol...he'd be as good as Crabtree or better had he signed with us. Doubt there was going to be a reduced role.

It hard for me to understand because there is a small window to win the SB and we needed to be aggressive. Philly stupidly let go of a Pro-Bowl WR and we failed to capitalize on their mistake.

This was our opportunity to strike big. Let Seattle know we're coming for them. We could have put a little fear in them. We missed that chance. I don't get why it's so hard for some of you to not understand that.

We have plenty of money to sign our rookies. Not sure where you heard otherwise.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
We have plenty of money to sign our rookies. Not sure where you heard otherwise.

We have enough, but I wouldn't call it plenty.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Lol he stayed in the same division when the iggles couldve dealt him to the afc,and couldve got a pick for it??I hope he lights their asses up for many seasons to come.

nobody offered a pick for him bc they knew he was getting cut

I feel you fam.I was under the impression though that the iggels wanted a pick in the beginning.Then their position changed to they didn't want to dump him on someone and his so-called gang issues pop up on the new team.Therefore leaving the new team feeling burned from the iggels concealing these issues.

I wanna say I heard that on SC when this story first broke.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
We have enough, but I wouldn't call it plenty.

We only need 2.5 mil to sign our rookie class.

There's absolutely no way that DJax would come here and start over Crabtree. If you really think that our FO would let some guy off the street just walk in and get the nod over one of our core players (i.e. Crabs or Boldin), then you don't understand football (locker room dynamics, specifically).

Two, we simply do not have the cap space to get into a bidding war with, well, anyone. Which lined up with reports that Baalke was interested ONLY if DJax was willing to take a substantial pay cut. We didn't "miss" anything here. This isn't Madden where you can sign and release players based on some imaginary overall rating.

The odds that DJax was coming here were extremely slim to begin with. He had had a choice between winning games and getting paid. He chose to get paid. 99% of players in his situation would do the same.

Get over it.
[ Edited by baltien on Apr 2, 2014 at 11:25 AM ]
pretty obvious he wanted to go to DC to get revenge on Philly 2x a year

There's absolutely no way that DJax would come here and start over Crabtree. If you really think that our FO would like some guy off the street just walk in and get the nod over one of our core guys like Crabs or Boldin, you don't understand football (locker room dynamics specifically).

Two, we simply do not have the cap space to get into a bidding war with anyone, with lines up with the reports that Baalke was interested ONLY if DJax was willing to take a substantial pay cut. Obviously, he went where the money is.

So we didn't "miss" anything here. This isn't Madden where you sign and release players based on some imaginary overall rating. The odds were extremely slim that he was coming here to begin with.

DJax had a choice between winning games and getting paid. He chose to get paid. Get over it.

Well said. He was a FA, would have loved to have had him at the right price. If Philly didnt release him, no one would be saying we missed out on anything. Same can be said that we missed out on megatron or gordon.

He was an Eagle, now he's a Redskin. If he went to SEA, ARZ or STL, then I could see the arguement that we lost out on a player. He went to a team that is going nowhere (yes, they may win their division, as that division is dreadful), but he is no threat to us in the long run.

Having Crabs and Boldin gives us a good core as we generally use a 2 WR set, DJax would have been icing on the top, but we are fine without him.
DeSean Jackson's 3-yr deal with the Redskins is worth $24 million, including $16 million guaranteed, per @DarrenHeitner.
  • nj9er
  • Veteran
Not too upset we didn't get him for the 2nd time (Balmer face palm). It seems like we pushed harder for WR in FA than for cornerback.Talib, Revis or DRC were never really mentioned considering they got similar money to DJax. It's curious since we already have 2 quality WR and one good corner. I have to believe the WR in this draft that we like maybe out of our reach and after Watkins or Evans they aren't sold on this class for WR. Maybe they really like this class for CB. From what I hear we pushed for 3 or 4 WR since October and one CB. I think FO maybe hoping Evans falls to a spot they are willing to trade up to.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Well at least now we can move on past this and discuss a trade for Andre Johnson
The real question is what fantasy round to you pick him?

TY Hilton or desean Jackson?
Share 49ersWebzone