There are 168 users in the forums

Tarell Brown, please re-sign with the 49ers.

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Originally posted by Hopper:
He's not gonna re-sign because he's gonna ask for that 2 million that the niners jew'd him out of and the cheap ass Yorks dont wonna pay it.
He screwed himself. Read your contract.

This, the 49ers did absolutely nothing wrong. Participating in the OS program should not be a big deal when you're making 6 to 7 figures, especially when the 7th figure hinges on you participating in the program.

if he showed up in shape (which he did) they should have paid the man his money. His agent made a mistake, it was very low class of the niners to screw him like that. Eddie D would have taken care of him.

The problem with that is the organization wants the team to be on site and work out and practice together. If they give free passes to everyone who "made a mistake" it sets a bad precedence and you'll find more guys doing the same thing.

I'm not doubting Brown was geniunly mistaken, but it sets a bad example if the niers paid brown to those who showed up and worked for their paycheck.

I respectfully disagree, they can look at each situation on it own. Brown has been a model citizen with the niners. Do you think they would have done that with Frank, Pat or any other super star players. I think it sets a bad message in the locker room that the team will screw you over if you make one honest mistake.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Cortland Finnegan was awful last season. He'll come no cheaper than T. Brown and he's not as good. He got abused last season by bigger WR's. Same knock most of you have against Brown. Also Finnegan can't play inside for s**t. Brown can play all over the field.

This is why you don't sign corners to big money. It's a fickle position, and slight errors here and there can make you look like an All-Pro one year, and average the next year.
He's not gonna re-sign because he's gonna ask for that 2 million that the niners jew'd him out of and the cheap ass Yorks dont wonna pay it.

This, the 49ers did absolutely nothing wrong. Participating in the OS program should not be a big deal when you're making 6 to 7 figures, especially when the 7th figure hinges on you participating in the program.

if he showed up in shape (which he did) they should have paid the man his money. His agent made a mistake, it was very low class of the niners to screw him like that. Eddie D would have taken care of him.

The Yorks are willing to max out the salary cap. They hired a general manager to decide how to make the best use of that max cap money. It makes little sense in the salary cap era to say "owner is cheap", especially when they are maxing out the salary cap.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:

The Yorks are willing to max out the salary cap. They hired a general manager to decide how to make the best use of that max cap money. It makes little sense in the salary cap era to say "owner is cheap", especially when they are maxing out the salary cap.
the worn out phrase "cheap 49ers", cheap yorks, etc are so ten years ago.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

The problem with that is the organization wants the team to be on site and work out and practice together. If they give free passes to everyone who "made a mistake" it sets a bad precedence and you'll find more guys doing the same thing.

I'm not doubting Brown was geniunly mistaken, but it sets a bad example if the niers paid brown to those who showed up and worked for their paycheck.

I respectfully disagree, they can look at each situation on it own. Brown has been a model citizen with the niners. Do you think they would have done that with Frank, Pat or any other super star players. I think it sets a bad message in the locker room that the team will screw you over if you make one honest mistake.

Yes its always good to look at it as a case by case scenario. In this case, Brown plain didn't know about the term in his contract. That really is no one else's fault but him and his agents. Now, if he had a sudden family emergency or something was going on in his life as the reason, then they could show some leniency.

But in order for contracts to have any meaning, both parties have to abide by the terms. I doubt they would repay even those guys you mentioned based on the same principals i'm talking about.

I think its a worse message to the locker room that if you don't honor your contract, you will still get paid anyway, as long as it was one honest mistake. Things don't work that way. Guy will start questioning why they leave their families and personal lives to show up and workout with the team if they can get paid anyways, chalking it up to an "honest mistake." And there will indeed be guys who think like that. Its human nature.

Its a slippery slope. What happens next year when a player does the same thing? If you want to instill discipline in the organization, you have to enforce the rules.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Mar 6, 2014 at 6:07 PM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:

Lol remember dumpyork.com?
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by cciowa:

Lol remember dumpyork.com?

Lol and the dump york shirts
Bottom line Brown has started for like 7 years and has made all of about 10-12 million. He has been underpaid his entire time here. We threw out our best offer for a 29 year old and we are sticking to our guns. I don't blame Brown for wanting to go and get paid after 7 years of being underpaid. I don't expect him back but it would be nice. And your full of crap if you think the York's are still cheap. They let Baalke and Paraag handle their business and they just write the checks. If you want to call anyone cheap then it would be Baalke and what you guys call cheap I call being smart. If you want to blow money on free agency and watch it get you no where go be a fan of the Redskins, Dolphins, Cowboys, or half the other teams out there. This is one of the best ran teams in the league.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Bottom line Brown has started for like 7 years and has made all of about 10-12 million. He has been underpaid his entire time here. We threw out our best offer for a 29 year old and we are sticking to our guns. I don't blame Brown for wanting to go and get paid after 7 years of being underpaid. I don't expect him back but it would be nice. And your full of crap if you think the York's are still cheap. They let Baalke and Paraag handle their business and they just write the checks. If you want to call anyone cheap then it would be Baalke and what you guys call cheap I call being smart. If you want to blow money on free agency and watch it get you no where go be a fan of the Redskins, Dolphins, Cowboys, or half the other teams out there. This is one of the best ran teams in the league.

hes been a starter since about the time harbaugh arrived. before that guys like nate clements, walt harris, shawntae spencer, dre bly were all playing ahead of this guy.
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2014/03/49ers-tarell-brown-still-talking-as-free-agency-period-looms.html

Front office trying to get the deal done

It depends on how much he wants, 49ers won't sign him to a big deal like Grimes just got in Miami.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It depends on how much he wants, 49ers won't sign him to a big deal like Grimes just got in Miami.

exactly ...we are not a desperate team like the dolphins , we have options and don't have a gun pointed at our head to get a deal done right away
Honestly,

I don't want them to resign Brown anyways, guy isn't that good, he typically gets beat on the inside, and normally gets beat when he has to cover a big man. he's like Ike Taylor, they are always due to give up a big one at least once a game.

We have better guys, I like Brock, Culliver is my dude, and he if comes back healthy like he was, he's in as a starter, don't forget the rookie from last season Morris.

We have 3 solid corners, the rest we'll draft and get from FA, let everyone else go. That includes Cox, Rogers, Brown, Wright! Save the cap.

As for Whitner, i'd like him to stay for the right price. guys 31, we can't pay a guy who's gonna be past his prime already.
Originally posted by crabman82:
hes been a starter since about the time harbaugh arrived. before that guys like nate clements, walt harris, shawntae spencer, dre bly were all playing ahead of this guy.

Yeah don't know what I was thinking but you are right but either way he's been way underpaid. He was a 5th round pick so only had a few mil for his first contract of 4 years then we extended him for 7.125 mil for 3 years and I'm not even sure he got all that because of the 1.7m he lost, after the 300k we gave him, do to missing workouts. So he has made around 8-10 million for 3 years of starting and another 4 years as a backup. Even if you put aside the rookie contract 7 mil or whatever he got for 3 years of starting is dirt cheap for a very solid CB. He should have been making 2.5 times that. I'd say he played like a 3 years 15-18 million dollar CB. So like I said I don't see him being back because this will be his last contract most likely and he is looking to make up for all those years of being underpaid. I think we threw out our best offer and odds are someone else out there will give him more. If not I'm sure our offer will remain on the table and he can come back. And I gave my thoughts on Brown I'd like to have him back for 2-3 years at a discount of like 3-4 mil a year but at 29 years old we can't be paying him 3-5 years at 4-5 per. I think we will be fine with Culliver/Brock and a 1st/2nd rounder.
I'd take Tarell Brown over Carlos Rogers ANYDAY and TWICE on SUNDAYS. And he'd be cheaper too.
Share 49ersWebzone