LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 432 users in the forums

Is Seattle going to have cap casualties?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Someone post Vance trucking Sherman gif

Thank you!

Vance being a rookie didn't realize that he should have given Thomas the business as well there
Originally posted by Touchdown49ers2014:
Seattle is going to regret tying up that much $$$$$ in two defensive backs.

Especially Thomas' contract. Why would you pay a safety that much? Good safeties can always be found in the draft for far less money. Safety is not a position you can spend a lot on in the salary cap era.

No DB is worth that money in the salary cap era.
Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:
??? The Thomas deal was a great deal for the front office, the Sherman deal not so much... All that was reported was how the players and front office secretly valued Thomas more..

Best part is the .nut dbags trying to spin spin spin... DRRRRRRR it only affects over 14 million worth of cap space one year, the rest are only around 13.5 after 2014..... HAHAH they are even saying they f'd the league over by forcing other teams to sign db's for 13-15 mil...

What are the ".nut bags"?

Well I don't know about cap space, I would bet money that it forces other teams to pay more for a quality corner. Not that much more, but that was DickySherm. Revis was signed for more and then hosed, but any corner at that level is probably thanking TrickyDick for his numbers. Does a team have to pay it? Of course not and I am positive the Niners won't. We also won't likely be claiming that the secondary is solid for 4 more years either. It could happen, I would settle for 1 year.
The secondary is where your smart money should be in a passing league. If the league migrates back to run first then the D-line is more critical but if your set up to stop the run while teams tear up your secondary, you'll struggle a great secondary also provides more time and opportunity for the front seven.
As for driving up the price. Does anyone think Revis will take less than Sherman on his next contract? That is next year.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 12thfan:
As for driving up the price. Does anyone think Revis will take less than Sherman on his next contract? That is next year.

I think he will. Revis has to know he's on the decline.
The secondary is where your smart money should be in a passing league. If the league migrates back to run first then the D-line is more critical but if your set up to stop the run while teams tear up your secondary, you'll struggle a great secondary also provides more time and opportunity for the front seven.

Pass rush makes any secondary look good
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

I think he will. Revis has to know he's on the decline.

Except he's not. He graded out as the best cover corner last year and that was despite not being completely healthy (by his own admission). However, his age may soon start to work against him when negotiating his next contract.

All the same, provided he has a(nother) great year, it is very possible that he could exceed Sherman in terms of salary, at least in the short term.
[ Edited by baltien on May 8, 2014 at 9:39 AM ]
The secondary is where your smart money should be in a passing league.

Uh boy.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

No more than the other way around. Forcing the QB to hold the ball longer is the same as forcing him to release it quicker. The rating for elite QB's against our secondary has been very poor even before we drastically improved the D-line.

Originally posted by Existence:

Uh boy.

Please elaborate if you disagree. The proof is in our trophy case right now.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

No more than the other way around. Forcing the QB to hold the ball longer is the same as forcing him to release it quicker. The rating for elite QB's against our secondary has been very poor even before we drastically improved the D-line.

it works both ways. if u have a great secondary sure it can be hard to move the chains against them. but we saw it in 2012 with the seahawks. they had less of a pass rush (no bennett or avril) and while they certainly were good, they had more hiccups. roddy white toasted sherm/kam deep. chris givens has sherm doing the drunk stumble on a deep completion in st louis, brady rolled up 400+ yards on you, titus young made your secondary his b***h and so on and so forth. now in 2013 with added boost to the pass rush these examples were fewer and far between. in short, a great secondary can prevent some things, but not everything. a great pass rush can make a great secondary legendary and an average one very very good. i'd take elite pass rushers above elite cover guys if i had to make the choice.
Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 2m
#Seahawks CB Richard Sherman's cap numbers: $3,676,606 in 2014, $12.2M in 2015, $14.769M in 2016, $13.631M in 2017, $13.2M in 2018.

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 1m
Sherman got an $11M signing bonus. He'll make $12.431M in Year 1. Base salaries: $10M in '15, $12.569M in '16, $11.431M in '17, $11M in '18.

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 25s
Combined cap hits for Sherman/Thomas never reach $25M in any given year. For as big a deals as they were, not overwhelming to cap either.

[ Edited by crabman82 on May 8, 2014 at 10:27 AM ]
Originally posted by Existence:

Uh boy.

Please elaborate if you disagree. The proof is in our trophy case right now.

Then why was it that last year before SEA bought a pass rush and Clemons went down, SEA got burned to toast by ATL and lost the divisional playoff? In fact, the secondary last year was better then this year wasn't it? And don't tell me Ryan, White and Jones are that much, if at all, better then Manning and company.

Pass rushers importance >>>> DB importance. This is a time tested truth in the NFL. I wouldn't expect you guys to know that with your single trophy and all.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on May 8, 2014 at 11:06 AM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Someone post Vance trucking Sherman gif

Thank you!

Vance being a rookie didn't realize that he should have given Thomas the business as well there

Good play, but highlights really lose their value when you lose the game. i.e. AP had a VERY impressive like 90 yard run or something on the Seahawks in the 2012 season, but they still lost that game.

Arizona got picked off like 4 times this season at the game in the Clink, but hard to be proud of that when we lost that. Same thing when CK got picked off when the Hawks played at Candlestick.
[ Edited by zaghawk on May 8, 2014 at 11:11 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone