There are 236 users in the forums

Report: Vikings, Norv Turner "close" to agreement

Shop 49ers game tickets
49ers coach Jim Harbaugh channelled Johnny Cash this week when he said that the 49ers have "been everywhere" over the last few seasons.

Norv Turner doesn't wear all black, but he may also identify with Cash's tune after working for eight different teams in nine different stops over the course of his NFL coaching career. It looks like he'll be adding another team to the list.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Turner is "close" to an agreement to become the offensive coordinator on new coach Mike Zimmer's first staff in Minnesota. The Vikings' interest in Turner was initially reported on Wednesday, shortly after Zimmer agreed to become the head coach.

One of Turner's biggest jobs in Minnesota will be the identification/development of a quarterback who can lead the team more effectively than the Christian Ponder/Matt Cassel/Josh Freeman trio did in 2013. Adrian Peterson should feel good about the success running backs have had in Turner's offenses over the years, although the lack of a better option at quarterback would hamstring the offense even with another strong year for Peterson.

Norv has some weapons to work with , A.P , Patterson, Rudolph ...this could work
Good f'ing hire for them.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
49ers coach Jim Harbaugh channelled Johnny Cash this week when he said that the 49ers have "been everywhere" over the last few seasons.

Norv Turner doesn't wear all black, but he may also identify with Cash's tune after working for eight different teams in nine different stops over the course of his NFL coaching career. It looks like he'll be adding another team to the list.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Turner is "close" to an agreement to become the offensive coordinator on new coach Mike Zimmer's first staff in Minnesota. The Vikings' interest in Turner was initially reported on Wednesday, shortly after Zimmer agreed to become the head coach.

One of Turner's biggest jobs in Minnesota will be the identification/development of a quarterback who can lead the team more effectively than the Christian Ponder/Matt Cassel/Josh Freeman trio did in 2013. Adrian Peterson should feel good about the success running backs have had in Turner's offenses over the years, although the lack of a better option at quarterback would hamstring the offense even with another strong year for Peterson.

Norv has some weapons to work with , A.P , Patterson, Rudolph ...this could work

That's a big step. A defensive-minded coach needs a strong offensive mind at coordinator, and he's got that now. I don't think the Vikings will contend next year, but they could be a surprise if they land a good QB.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

That's a big step. A defensive-minded coach needs a strong offensive mind at coordinator, and he's got that now. I don't think the Vikings will contend next year, but they could be a surprise if they land a good QB.

a strong pocket passer will do wonders for that offense ...I bet Matt Cassel could run Norv's offense with precision, Josh Freeman and Ponder are probably on their way out , But Cassel is the best fit for Norv's Zampese/Coryell style offense , but I imagine the Vikes will draft a QB .....can you imagine that offense with Bridgewater ...wow
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

they'll be a good offence, go somewhere between 7-9 10-6, people will s**t themselves over turner, and the browns will fire their guy that goes 6-10 and hire norv. destroying both teams at once.

ahhh history. it writes itself
[ Edited by GreenReaperTT on Jan 16, 2014 at 9:43 AM ]
Good move for them.

Where do they pick in the draft?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Good move for them.

Where do they pick in the draft?

top 10 somewhere, i think they only won 5 games
Great hire & I doubt Norv Turner will sniff a coaching job again for a long time. I wouldn't hire him to be an HC at least.
Share 49ersWebzone