There are 246 users in the forums

raiders miscellany

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
These guys have an undying flame for signing our leftovers.

purgatory before retirement
Originally posted by MaleMammal:
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
2013 Starting Corners for the 49ers:

Carlos Rogers and Tarell Brown.

2014 Starting Corners for the Raiders:

They want Brown and DJ Hayden to start...Rogers will play the slot.

Hayden will get benched.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

As it stands right now, that actually seems much better than what we have as far a CBs go. We got it much better at the safety positions, though.

It can get much better for us, but coaches/players got a lot of hard work ahead of them.
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
2013 Starting Corners for the 49ers:

2014 Starting Corners for the Raiders:

Now they just need aldon, pwilly, bowman, brooks, the cowboy, etc. and they'll be on their way to having the best defense in the league
Originally posted by LVJay:

As it stands right now, that actually seems much better than what we have as far a CBs go. We got it much better at the safety positions, though.

It can get much better for us, but coaches/players got a lot of hard work ahead of them.

Well, a couple things:

I think Brown and Rogers won't be nearly as effective without the front 7 we have here in SF. I know the Raiders brought in guys like Tuck, Woodley, Smith to strengthen the d-line, but it seems like a mish-mash of older players on the decline. Our front 7 took years in the making to become the dominant group that it is, and the secondary benefited greatly from that.

I do think Brock/Culliver would be an upgrade over Brown/Rogers. Brock proved to be our best corner last year, and if Culliver ever gives up his love for potato decision making, he has the size/speed/skill/youth to be an upgrade over Rogers. Add in a 1st round pick, and we look pretty damn good.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Well, a couple things:

I think Brown and Rogers won't be nearly as effective without the front 7 we have here in SF. I know the Raiders brought in guys like Tuck, Woodley, Smith to strengthen the d-line, but it seems like a mish-mash of older players on the decline. Our front 7 took years in the making to become the dominant group that it is, and the secondary benefited greatly from that.

I do think Brock/Culliver would be an upgrade over Brown/Rogers. Brock proved to be our best corner last year, and if Culliver ever gives up his love for potato decision making, he has the size/speed/skill/youth to be an upgrade over Rogers. Add in a 1st round pick, and we look pretty damn good.
Now what. Is Brooks a good CB due to his quality or did he benefit from our front7?
Originally posted by communist:
Now what. Is Brooks a good CB due to his quality or did he benefit from our front7?

You mean Brock? Yes, I think he is a good CB. He played well in man coverage and made plays on the ball. I'm not trying to slight Brown/Rogers. I'm just saying I think Brock is an upgrade based on the fact he performed at a higher level than them last year behind the same front 7.

I think the entire secondary benefits from playing with our front 7. That is the strength of the defense. They can stuff the run without having to load the box all the time, and they can apply pressure with 4 rushers. Both of those things lets you devote more defenders to help in coverage.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Apr 1, 2014 at 4:04 AM ]

This. I don't know why we didn't make a play for someone like Thurmond etc. before the Culliver incident even happened; all the more so since that idiot got busted.

Fangio better learn how to dial up some blitz packages and get Lemonier and Carradine to make their presence felt because a la the Giants in 2007 and 2011, the pass rush is likely going to have to compensate for the secondary. I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet but I can't imagine it being as tight as it was in 2011 and 2013 considering the face lift it's received.
We will all get to see how Brown and Carlos perform playing against Payton, Rivers and Alex twice this year.

The Swiss Cheese secondary - full of holes.
a bunch of haters in here. Happy both found jobs, close to where they previously were.

I think they will do fine. These were good moves by the Raiders.

what the f**k? Webzone staff still playing games after all these years....real cute fellas..lol.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

This. I don't know why we didn't make a play for someone like Thurmond etc. before the Culliver incident even happened; all the more so since that idiot got busted.

Fangio better learn how to dial up some blitz packages and get Lemonier and Carradine to make their presence felt because a la the Giants in 2007 and 2011, the pass rush is likely going to have to compensate for the secondary. I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet but I can't imagine it being as tight as it was in 2011 and 2013 considering the face lift it's received.

It's gonna be an interesting draft/training camp....
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
It's gonna be an interesting draft/training camp....

• LVJay
  • Veteran

• LVJay
  • Veteran

Share 49ersWebzone