LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

KC: steal of the offseason?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Alex Smith isnt going to win you a Super Bowl. Colin Kaepernick can.
nick
Smith has been pretty average this year. Hes relying on his D and his lack of turnovers.

If anyone is suggesting that two 2nd rounders "wasnt enough" for Alex Smith, your delusional.

of course this is just rank speculation at this time--he had chance and didnt---i dont think this statement is true until he shows he can make plays consistently as a pocket passer--you cant build plays off a qb continually escpaing the pocket and looking for the big throw

Kap got his first chance in his first year mostly because of the way he played in those games. Without Kap, we don't get there and we don't even make that epic comeback.

Kap is an NFC champion. Give him some respect.

he deserves respect and has it from me---but it is no disrepsect to him to wait until he wins a super bowl before annointing him a super bowl winning qb
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by dj43:

Smith has been pretty average this year. Hes relying on his D and his lack of turnovers.

If anyone is suggesting that two 2nd rounders "wasnt enough" for Alex Smith, your delusional.

You obviously haven't watched many Chiefs games this year.

lol ive watched every televised one, which has been at least 5. My bro is a Chiefs fan, and we lived in KC for 6 years growing up. Ive followed them for 18 years now. Look at the numbers. Alex is playing safe, conservative football. Jamaal Charles could be league MVP. He leads the offense, and the KC D has kept them in games.

Well, I've seen them all, several via Rewind where I can see coach's film. Smith is playing Andy Reid WCO football (the closest living example of Walsh football). In that scheme of things, he has taken quite a few chances, put some balls into VERY tight windows and moved the chains. Along the way he has put OL in position to allow RBs do their thing. That is safe, WINNING football. If you want to consider that to be a negative in some way, be my guest.

interesting that chiefs made concerted effort to throw ball downfield more starting with the first broncos game...at that time Smith's completion % was at about 58%...since they have been throwing downfield more in these last 4 games his completion % has gone above 60%---
conclusion? he throws downfield better than many give him credit for, and the fact that he and his new teammates have had some time to play with each other has improved the offenses efficeincy
Anquan Boldin for a 6th round pick.

/thread.
We would never have been in that position with Alex. Kap very clearly improved the team last year, and was a HUGE factor for opposing defenses to plan for. No chance Smith leads that SB comeback even. He faced the Ravens on the previous Thanksgiving and did nothing. Kap was in his 10th career start, so criticizing his inability to win the Super Bowl when he came within a few feet is ridiculous. Especially since the refs decided to let the Ravens get away with everything...I cant believe people are really debating me on this. Smith made his only career title game in 2011, and totally crapped the bed against a good D. Now youre saying you dont know whos more capable to win their team a title? After Kap lead a SB comeback change that was a PI away from being successful? Come on...

That's what I'm saying all right! Kudos on the reading level! Kap in his first half a year as a starter or Alex with experience against this same Balt team? Yes, I think Smith might have had the advantage of having seen that been there. Of course if your point is that experience is totally meaningless, you can keep that opinion.

I can't believe you are so invested in bad mouthing Smith that you abandon all objectivity! Oh, wait...is that being judgmental about someone else's opinion?

Smith played reasonably well and had the game in hand until the ball was fumbled away by KW. Or is that his fault as well. LOL! Hate on...
Huh... Another Smith debate.

Well, all the doubters were wrong, I was right. Debate over. Alex is a good QB and the more anyone tries to negate that, the more credibility you take away from yourselves in the future. Give it a rest.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
We would never have been in that position with Alex. Kap very clearly improved the team last year, and was a HUGE factor for opposing defenses to plan for. No chance Smith leads that SB comeback even. He faced the Ravens on the previous Thanksgiving and did nothing. Kap was in his 10th career start, so criticizing his inability to win the Super Bowl when he came within a few feet is ridiculous. Especially since the refs decided to let the Ravens get away with everything...I cant believe people are really debating me on this. Smith made his only career title game in 2011, and totally crapped the bed against a good D. Now youre saying you dont know whos more capable to win their team a title? After Kap lead a SB comeback change that was a PI away from being successful? Come on...

That's what I'm saying all right! Kudos on the reading level! Kap in his first half a year as a starter or Alex with experience against this same Balt team? Yes, I think Smith might have had the advantage of having seen that been there. Of course if your point is that experience is totally meaningless, you can keep that opinion.

I can't believe you are so invested in bad mouthing Smith that you abandon all objectivity! Oh, wait...is that being judgmental about someone else's opinion?

Smith played reasonably well and had the game in hand until the ball was fumbled away by KW. Or is that his fault as well. LOL! Hate on...

Pretty sure it was the power outage which gave Jim more time to prepare.

I like how people dismiss a power outage in two 49ers games as a coincidence.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

/thread.

This was my first thought.

Boldin for a 6th is stealing, surprised the Harbros didn't get investigated lol.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

LOL you have no idea what youre talking about. I love how im a "Smith hater" now...

I was one of the ONLY people on this board who defended Smith for the entire 8 years he was here. I literally never once badmouthed him. Through the darkest years of him being booed out of the stadium because of his horrible OL, horrible coaches, horrible WR, and injuries, I had the common sense to see WHY he wasnt having success. At some point, I think 99% of the 49ers fanbase thought Smith was a total bust and a joke. Its funny that now that hes on another team, the same old pessimistic people are now pointing at the green grass on the KC side of the fence.

Now its flipped the other direction, and people are OVER crediting Smith, and im a "hater" for being realistic and pointing out reasons why he isnt a star QB. wow...

Anyways, Smith was a very good QB. Under Harbaugh he was able to gain confidence and continuity, and we got every bit of potential out of him in 2011 and half of 2012. Now hes moved on to another team that knows how to utilize his abilities, and hes making out well with his trademark style of playing turnover free football.

Alex Smith is NOT the kind of QB that LEADS a team to a Super Bowl title. Hes the kind of QB that, when complemented by a good D and a running game, can help get you to that title. I dont understand why this is such a hard concept to agree with.

I give Smith all the credit in the world for keeping a cool head through all the years that idiotic fans talked crap about him. But for people to act like he was worth MORE than TWO second round picks, or wouldve put us in a better position to win than Colin Kaepernick, is insane.

Kap gives us a whole different dimension to the offense. Hes a weapon that can take over games, and thats exactly why Harbaugh stayed with him last year. He threw a pick 6 on his opening drive in his first ever playoff game, and then responded by destroying one of the best teams in the NFL for the rest of the game. Then he went on the road for the NFC title game and won. Then almost led one of the biggest comebacks in Super Bowl history in his 10th career start. Alex Smith is NOT capable of that.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Dec 18, 2013 at 1:32 AM ]

I was one of the ONLY people on this board who defended Smith for the entire 8 years he was here.

I have no memory of you... and that's pretty telling on its own. Also, all of the absolutes you have used pretty much shine the light just fine. Sorry, is what it is. No worries. It isn't as if any of it matters.
Originally posted by mkmasn:
Huh... Another Smith debate.

Well, all the doubters were wrong, I was right. Debate over. Alex is a good QB and the more anyone tries to negate that, the more credibility you take away from yourselves in the future. Give it a rest.

Perfection. I envision Samuel L. Jackson with his "that's all you had to say" line in Pulp Fiction.

Originally posted by hofer36:
interesting that chiefs made concerted effort to throw ball downfield more starting with the first broncos game...at that time Smith's completion % was at about 58%...since they have been throwing downfield more in these last 4 games his completion % has gone above 60%---
conclusion? he throws downfield better than many give him credit for, and the fact that he and his new teammates have had some time to play with each other has improved the offenses efficeincy

... still sad to see KC's team drop % at 5th highest... and the offensive penalties? 2nd highest

... and even with that stated? KC is 13th best in offensive efficiency. Not too shabby. Offense could be damn scary good when they get the OL solidified and the WR/TE situation upgraded.
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

/thread.

This was my first thought.

Boldin for a 6th is stealing, surprised the Harbros didn't get investigated lol.

Why should they? They brought Goodell a s**t ton of money with the SB matchup.
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Dec 18, 2013 at 6:38 AM ]
LOL you have no idea what youre talking about. I love how im a "Smith hater" now...

I was one of the ONLY people on this board who defended Smith for the entire 8 years he was here. I literally never once badmouthed him. Through the darkest years of him being booed out of the stadium because of his horrible OL, horrible coaches, horrible WR, and injuries, I had the common sense to see WHY he wasnt having success. At some point, I think 99% of the 49ers fanbase thought Smith was a total bust and a joke. Its funny that now that hes on another team, the same old pessimistic people are now pointing at the green grass on the KC side of the fence.

Now its flipped the other direction, and people are OVER crediting Smith, and im a "hater" for being realistic and pointing out reasons why he isnt a star QB. wow...

Anyways, Smith was a very good QB. Under Harbaugh he was able to gain confidence and continuity, and we got every bit of potential out of him in 2011 and half of 2012. Now hes moved on to another team that knows how to utilize his abilities, and hes making out well with his trademark style of playing turnover free football.

Alex Smith is NOT the kind of QB that LEADS a team to a Super Bowl title. Hes the kind of QB that, when complemented by a good D and a running game, can help get you to that title. I dont understand why this is such a hard concept to agree with.

I give Smith all the credit in the world for keeping a cool head through all the years that idiotic fans talked crap about him. But for people to act like he was worth MORE than TWO second round picks, or wouldve put us in a better position to win than Colin Kaepernick, is insane.

Kap gives us a whole different dimension to the offense. Hes a weapon that can take over games, and thats exactly why Harbaugh stayed with him last year. He threw a pick 6 on his opening drive in his first ever playoff game, and then responded by destroying one of the best teams in the NFL for the rest of the game. Then he went on the road for the NFC title game and won. Then almost led one of the biggest comebacks in Super Bowl history in his 10th career start. Alex Smith is NOT capable of that.

Sorry if I hit a nerve, but you "give Smith all the credit in the world" for being what? You seem to think you know what Smith can do and can't do in the playoffs when he has played two games in the playoffs...one he led several come from behind drives--including a long run himself and an excellent pass to VD in the final minutes and seconds. The loss was a tough game that was bouncing back and forth based on field position (a Smith/Harbaugh specialty) until three incredibly bad mistakes by a young returner/receiver.

• Record since having a good coach, as opposed to incredibly incompetent coaches: 30-8-1.
  • His QB rating during those three years: 90.7, 104.1, 91.0
  • 2011, in a new offense, he led six game winning drives--clutch. Since then he hasn't had to come from behind...he's team has won most games.

So now you join the legion of nay-sayers who KNOW that Alex Smith is a "game manager" "limited" "so-so" "not championship caliber" "mediocre" QB who will never win the Super Bowl. Really? You suggest that I take issue with the trade when I have stated in this thread I thought it benefited both and was balanced...so why mislead by trying to lump me in with those who think the team should have received more? It suits your purposes?

As I stated in my original post, when you use absolutes it can come back to bite you as it has all those who said that Smith was a "loser" "inaccurate" "can't run" "can't hit long passes" "can't hit consistently" "can't see the field" "can't lead comebacks" and anything else he has disproved over the past three years. Don't care what kind of a Smith supporter you were, it has nothing to do with the post I take issue with here.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 18, 2013 at 7:11 AM ]

Where does everyone come up with this, "CK can win the Super Bowl, blah blah blah". Do you not remember that CK was already there and lost?

The selective memory on this site just blows me away.
Originally posted by 4t9ers:

Where does everyone come up with this, "CK can win the Super Bowl, blah blah blah". Do you not remember that CK was already there and lost?

The selective memory on this site just blows me away.

If you have time, could you go back and count how many posts have suggested the niners should have received more for Smith? I know that some have said, in hindsight, he is worth more. But I don't recall anyone stating they shouldn't have settled or words to that effect. There may be one or two I missed.
Share 49ersWebzone