LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 368 users in the forums

Who are your favorite and least favorite gameday commentators?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:
This. Who thought it would be a good idea to put Rodney Harrison (hated or unknown by everyone outside of Boston) and Tony Dungy (the morality police) together on the same set?!?

I really don't get the Harrison-hire at all. They should let him go & put Hines Ward in his place. Costas doesn't need a co-host for the 30 seconds a week he's on the air on SNF.

Watching Dungy and Harrison on the set together hurts my damn brain... Totally unbearable. That stupid-ass shoving each other they be doing is retarded as hell.
HATE:

1) Collingsworth (ass loves to hear himself talk)
2) Joe Buck (fkn homer & hater)
3) Aikman
4) Phil Simms

LIKE?
1) Mayock (i love his breakdowns!)
2) Gruden (keeps it fun)
3) Billick
ESPN crew is the worst...

Sorry Steve, but yeah.
[ Edited by vermonator on Dec 3, 2013 at 8:42 PM ]
Studio Guys:

Hate:
1) Costas (what a joke)
2) The black dude on Fox!! Lmao yeah i said the black dude. Not Strahan. The ing leader
3) Fox period! Crappy channel in general. too much s**t going on.

LMFAO:
1) Shannon Sharpe!!! Just keep talking baby lol
2) The NFL network crew... especially when Deion & Michael start going off in their lil world...
Dislike: Daryl Johnston. Anybody remember when Patrick Willis picked off a pass in Seattle, ran it back 80 YARDS for a td, and right before he scored, Daryl Johnston yelled out "Get Him Leonard!!!!". One of the Seahawks players was right behind Willis, and Daryl Johnston was rooting for a Seahawks player to tackle him. WTF was that!?
Then instead of talking about how amazing of a play it was for a middle linebacker to weave in and out of players, and take an interception 80 yards to the house, he discussed how Leonard gave a good effort in trying to chase down Willis.

I know he is a classic commentator, but I always thought Pat Sumeral was really boring. I remember Jerry Rice took an Elvis Grbac slant route 81 yards against Dallas, and Sumeral has absolutely no emotion when describing the call. Watch for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izT3sGTaDS8

Like: John Gruden. I love it when he breaks down plays, and he gets his coach speak going. I like to see him get fired up when breaking down plays!
Al Michaels
Chris Collinsworth
Troy Aikman (Surprisingly, he is a pretty good announcer)
Mayock is hella annoying. It sucks being a notre dame fan.
i love Gruden. Dude speaks highly of the niners and knows interesting stories about a lot of the players.

Cant stand collinsworth
  • mod
  • Veteran
Gruden talks highly of everybody lol... I can only stand listening to him when he talks about the niners.

Its actually pretty comical when you stand back and watch him. Gruden obviously knows wtf he's talking about and I do appreciate that, but his whole "I gotta tell ya Mike, >>insert name<<, this kid is really something!" gets old after a while.

The play by play guys I like -
Brad Nessler
Al Michaels
Mike Tirico
Gus Johnson (he's a crazy motherf**ker I know lol)
I like Brad Nessler and Mike Mayock. Nessler is a real pro and the action is the focus not his ego. Mayock is all business and knows his X's and O's. They also come across as liking each other's company.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Dislike: Daryl Johnston. Anybody remember when Patrick Willis picked off a pass in Seattle, ran it back 80 YARDS for a td, and right before he scored, Daryl Johnston yelled out "Get Him Leonard!!!!". One of the Seahawks players was right behind Willis, and Daryl Johnston was rooting for a Seahawks player to tackle him. WTF was that!?
Then instead of talking about how amazing of a play it was for a middle linebacker to weave in and out of players, and take an interception 80 yards to the house, he discussed how Leonard gave a good effort in trying to chase down Willis.

I know he is a classic commentator, but I always thought Pat Sumeral was really boring. I remember Jerry Rice took an Elvis Grbac slant route 81 yards against Dallas, and Sumeral has absolutely no emotion when describing the call. Watch for yourself:

Like: John Gruden. I love it when he breaks down plays, and he gets his coach speak going. I like to see him get fired up when breaking down plays!
Al Michaels
Chris Collinsworth

Pat Sumerall could afford to be low key because John Madden was so colorful. Damn I miss those two

Originally posted by swayze:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:

Al Michaels
Chris Collinsworth

Pat Sumerall could afford to be low key because John Madden was so colorful. Damn I miss those two

Madden and Summerall are the best EVER ....They made big games even Bigger , Pat's voice is the voice of football IMO ...plus Madden's humor and fan observations were funny and made bad games tolerable
  • kdogg
  • Veteran
umm... I'm just happy we get top tier crews nowadays. I recall the glut of Pitts, Baldinger, Johnston, etc..

I think Billick and Maycock are good.
joe buck wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't a homer.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
joe buck wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't a homer.

I dont even like the Eagles and I hate watching a game he calls for them....he cant even hide his unabashed hate.

Same problem I have with Collinsworth, his hate for the Niner's keeps him from calling the game even remotely impartial.

You get used to it in Hockey because the call is always done by somebodies local broadcast team...their homers, but in the NFL I expect better.

Tirico, Mayock and Billick I like quite a bit, Gruden wears thin on how he thinks everyone is a hall of famer but at least he knows the game, and Siragusa makes me laugh...dude is always just hanging out in an end zone stuffing his face with free food and commenting on the weirdest stuff.
I heart Al Michaels and miss when him and Madden used to commentate together. Sigh, no more Madden, no more turducken references on Thanksgiving. Sigh. Food has been mentioned and videoed a lot less since Madden left. I will be so sad when Al retires...all those MNF games..I heart him.

Miss Summerall too, sigh, sniff.

Dislike: Troy and Buck.

Speaking of Summerall, just watched 'A Football Life' clip..teared up actually, lol. *sniff*. Here's the link if anyone wants to watch:):

http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football-life/0ap2000000268189/A-Football-Life-Pat-Summerall-Alcohol-becomes-a-problem

Here are some additional clips of the airing:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football-life/0ap2000000268165/A-Football-Life-Pat-Summerall-The-5-tool-broadcaster

http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football-life/0ap2000000268185/A-Football-Life-Pat-Summerall-Summerall-and-Madden
[ Edited by Montana on Dec 4, 2013 at 10:22 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone