LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

Jon Baldwin Has Played His Last Game For The 9ers ?!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
Ginn was not coming back to the 49ers. Once Boldin came on board, the depth chart read like this: Crabs (not injured yet), Boldin, AJJ (who the staff wanted to see succeed), injured Ham that was slated to come back midseason. Boldin was acquired one day before the free agency period started. Once Boldin was a 49er, Ginn wanted playing time and knew he was the odd man out. Ginn made the wise choice and went to compete with a WR corp that consisted of an old Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, and I don't know who else.
[ Edited by thl408 on Dec 3, 2013 at 10:02 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Ginn was not coming back to the 49ers. Once Boldin came on board, the depth chart read like this: Crabs, Boldin, AJJ (who the staff wanted to see succeed), injured Ham that was slated to come back midseason. Boldin was acquired one day before the free agency period started. Once Boldin was a 49er, Ginn wanted playing time and knew he was the odd man out. Ginn made the wise choice and went to compete with a WR that consisted of an old Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, and I don't know who else.

its very easy to point to ginn and say we should have kept him, but hindsight is 20/20. i dont remember any niner fans wanting him back and if they did it was the return ability, not his wr ability.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Ginn was not coming back to the 49ers. Once Boldin came on board, the depth chart read like this: Crabs, Boldin, AJJ (who the staff wanted to see succeed), injured Ham that was slated to come back midseason. Boldin was acquired one day before the free agency period started. Once Boldin was a 49er, Ginn wanted playing time and knew he was the odd man out. Ginn made the wise choice and went to compete with a WR that consisted of an old Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, and I don't know who else.

its very easy to point to ginn and say we should have kept him, but hindsight is 20/20. i dont remember any niner fans wanting him back and if they did it was the return ability, not his wr ability.
This. People need to be honest with themselves. I can count myself among those that wanted Ginn gone which was the opinion of over 90% of the Zone it seemed.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I think it's true Baldwin has played his last game this season, barring injury. Crabs, Ham, Boldin, and Osgood (special teams) will be the 4 that suit up on gameday. In a 4WR set, VD acts as a WR so only three real WRs are on the field (Ham, Crabs, Boldin). There is no longer a need for Baldwin. The coaching staff has tried to give him the jump ball routes and they have all failed for one reason or another. Unlike when he was with KC and was targeted with poor results (2 years KC: 99 targets/41 catches - yahoo stats), the 49ers will not continue to force the issue with Baldwin. He had his chances and did not achieve any success.

From his comments when he came on board, I don't think work ethic is an issue. He seemed enthusiastic about coming to the 49ers, learning from Boldin, and catching passes from Kap. It just hasn't materialized. I really hope he works on his burst (first two steps after changing direction). I think that is what is most lacking in his game. Notice all the throws that came his way this season, they were all straight ahead routes. No routes that involved cutting and changing direction. It's because he sucks at it and would lose separation when changing direction. He has the size which you can't teach, he needs the coaching staff to step up and guide him. Then he needs Kap to give him a chance.

That's the point, isn't it ? Take Seattle for example, who were these Golden Tates, Jermaine Kearses and Doug Baldwins of the world ? They are all balling for the Seahawks. Why can't we do the same fr the younger receivers ?

Jon Baldwin hasn't been given his fair opportunity. Do you call 9 targets in 7 games "had his chances" ?? Seriously ??
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

This. People need to be honest with themselves. I can count myself among those that wanted Ginn gone which was the opinion of over 90% of the Zone it seemed.

i totally would have had the guy back as a returner but not one part of me misses his wr ability. hes had some nice catches and maybe we could have used them here while ham and crab were hurt, but i still know he'd be a p***y oon some plays and out right drop other easy catches, which he has done this year aswell.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Then I was probably the only one that wanted Ginn to stay, he was the most reliable PR I've seen for the 9ers in 14 years.
When was he ever good? Was he good in KC?
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Then I was probably the only one that wanted Ginn to stay, he was the most reliable PR I've seen for the 9ers in 14 years.

and thats fine, but u wanted him for the return ability, not wr ability right?
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

He was productive.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Do you mean to tell me he "sucks" as bad as Ted Ginn who is currently balling for the Panthers who beat us in our house ? Let's face it, there is no excuse for giving up on a player when the guy can perform so much better with another team. That tells me something is wrong with the 9ers.

Then you combine that with the FO, is basically a double whammy. On the one hand, they keep making bad picks such as Ronald Johnson, Kyle Williams and AJ Jenkins and at the same time they can't develop anyone. At this rate, Patton will probably be gone soon too.

Ginn was valuable to the team and he's having a nice year, but he's the fourth leading receiver on the 27th ranked passing offense. I wish we would have kept him too but lets not pretend like we let Calvin Johnson walk.

Nobody said anything about Megatron here. The point being is when Ginn was with the 9ers before he left, he had pretty much been demoted out of the receiving corps and only returned kicks and punts. By that time he was already pis*ed with the 9ers. If he can ball for the Panthers, that means he also could have balled for us, so there is absolutely no excuse. This just goes to show how inept the 9ers' coaching staff are.

Originally posted by pd24:

He was productive.

a 1st rounder who never had more than 325 yards in a season. thats like 50 yards better that the zones fav whipping boy kyle williams ever produced in a season.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

He was productive.

a 1st rounder who never had more than 325 yards in a season. thats like 50 yards better that the zones fav whipping boy kyle williams ever produced in a season.

Can you tell me exactly how are you supposed to produce with only 9 targets in 7 games ?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

He was productive.

yah on some crappy ass team. on a playoff caliber team that means inactive

He was productive.

Can you tell me exactly how are you supposed to produce with only 9 targets in 7 games ?

can you tell me why you cant read the context of this convo and realize we're talking about his time in KC?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

He was productive.

can you tell me why you cant read the context of this convo and realize we're talking about his time in KC?

I knew the context, but he is with the 9ers now. And with the 9ers, he has only been targetted 9 times in 7 games.
Share 49ersWebzone