LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

49ers In The Mix For Hakeem Nicks

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
why is everyone still talking about josh gordon? As far as i understand, the browns dont want to trade him and its done with.

Rick Spielman swore up and down that he wasn't going to trade Percy Harvin.....until he did. The Browns coach has been the only one to deny the trade rumors and he has jack s**t to say about it ultimately. I think that the Browns and a few other teams are playing a game of chicken, the Browns expecting that someone might break and throw some crazy compensation their way while other teams are waiting for the Browns to get desperate right before the trade deadline. By all acounts, neither Lombardi nor Banner want Gordon on the team, they don't think he's dependable and don't want to build around a guy as volatile as he is.
isn't hakeem nicks a glass man?
He's never healthy, even when he plays. But man...for a 3rd rounder it's tempting.
The more I think about this, the more I want the 49ers to go get Nicks. Gordon is better, younger and cheaper, the big thing with him is his off the field issues, I personally don't think the 49ers can't risk that with the Aldon Smith situation. Britt IMO is better than the 49ers current #2/3 WRs but not by much and Baldwin may even end up being better than him + he has his own issues.

This is why I think Nicks, rental or not is the best option. Rumors are he could be had for a 3rd round pick. The 49ers are in SB or bust mode now, why pass this up? The team will have extra picks all through the draft, make this happen and let's go for the gusto now.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
3rd round pick? that's it? Make that s**t happen.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

A 4 month rental of a guy who's never healthy? No thanks, 49ers can do far better with that 3rd rounder in the draft.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 13, 2013 at 11:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

A 4 month rental of a guy who's never healthy? No thanks, 49ers can do far better with that 3rd rounder in the draft.

hypothetically, if we ever drafted a wideout on day two.
Nicks is 25, would be a great rent. He'd flourish in SF.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Trade Crab and a 1st Rounder for Nicks and Cruz. Just so we can have the WR Core of 2011 NYG that beat us in the NFCCG
id rather have gordon. hes on a rookie deal for three more years and i think hes better than nicks

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
id rather have gordon. hes on a rookie deal for three more years and i think hes better than nicks

I'd rather have Gordon too. He's under contract through 2015 and adds that down field speed element we need to pair with Crabtree. Nicks is a great player but his skills are a bit redundant when you consider both Crabtree and Boldin are also big, strong receivers who are great in the short to intermediate area. We need another home run hitter to make the defense cover the entire field.
If we got Nicks he would be able to build chemistry with Kap quickly as the no 1 wideout. Then when crabs comes back for the playoffs we have a DEEP wr core that is ready to do damage... Q Nicks and Crabs.. With Vernon running all over the place.. Whew good luck trying to stop that train. Just hope Kap can spread the ball out
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by 49ersMVP:
So Nicks would be a rental at 1.4 for around a 3rd round pick then would want Wallace money 12 million per. 49ers can't pay that. Nicks has been fragile and looks somewhat tentative in games.

We need another stud outside in case Crabs does not return to form and Manningham is a slot receiver.

Nicks for a 3rd for half a season
or
Gordon for a 2nd.

Gordon? As I understand it, one more drug or alcohol mistake and he's gone for a year. Do you want the Niners to chance a 2nd for that? I don't. Hakeem Nicks is another Anquan Boldin. That may be a good thing, but I'm not really excited about it because we already have the best Boldin.

He'd be going to Aldon Smith's parties the 1st week no doubt....
Originally posted by swayze:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

hypothetically, if we ever drafted a wideout on day two.
Okay, first:

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW SHORT THE RENTAL IS IF IT ENDS WITH A SUPERBOWL WIN!!

I cannot stress this enough. It's not about "renting" a player, it's about not squandering our window of opportunity to win a superbowl. We are NOT going to beat top teams without a second WR threat. And Crabs and Manningham are still unknowns since they are recovering from serious injuries.

Second:

No, we can't "just draft one in the third." If we could "just draft" whatever we want then wouldn't have a WR problem right now, would we? The reality is WRs are hard to draft. And over the last 10 years the 9ers have been particularly bad at it (and yes, I know there's a whole thread debating this point, but it's true).

The 9ers need another WR threat. We're not trying to just win 10 games in the regular season. We're trying WIN A FREAKIN' SUPERBOWL!! To do that we have to be able to go toe to toe with Denver, New Orleans, and the other powerhouses. Pushing around the Rams and the Cards is not the same as winning a road game in New Orleans.

Whatever it costs, I hope they land one of these guys. Ideally Gordon. Nicks would be great too. Even Britt would be a solid move.
Is this why LMJ was inactive Sunday?
Share 49ersWebzone