LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 155 users in the forums

Should the NFL take steps to reduce crowd noise in stadiums

Shop 49ers game tickets

Should the NFL take steps to reduce crowd noise in stadiums

i lol @ the people who think its unfair. while seattles stadium is designed to hold in sound, they also were very loud back in the kingdome. any way you slice it, they're passionate fans who get into it and yell and scream during the games. of course fans of teams who dont do the same are going to see it as unfair.
Arent we gonna have an acoustically designed stadium designed to hold in that noise to?
Let them blow out their eardrums up in Seattle. They'll all be hard of hearing in their not-so-old age.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Psinex:
Let them blow out their eardrums up in Seattle. They'll all be hard of hearing in their not-so-old age.

They will then sue and force the NFL to mandate a top level decibel level for games just when Niners have the league's loudest crowd.

Edit: Also, the notion of this thread is silly. You make our fanbase sound like the whiners everybody calls us. Nobody was saying this s**t 3 years ago when Seattle had a loud stadium but now the NFL should do something about it because we've gotten smashed two straight times? This is embarrassing.

I get it, Seattle fans are annoying, but just deal with their b******t like a man and stop b***hing.
[ Edited by Antix on Dec 6, 2013 at 12:12 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Arent we gonna have an acoustically designed stadium designed to hold in that noise to?

Nope, the new stadium is a wide open design that will allow sound to escape freely into the air. There is very little reflecting the sound back into the stadium apart from the square green roof luxury suite section and maybe the north-facing scoreboard, which looks pretty enormous from the outside.
Originally posted by Antix:

They will then sue and force the NFL to mandate a top level decibel level for games just when Niners have the league's loudest crowd.

Edit: Also, the notion of this thread is silly. You make our fanbase sound like the whiners everybody calls us. Nobody was saying this s**t 3 years ago when Seattle had a loud stadium but now the NFL should do something about it because we've gotten smashed two straight times? This is embarrassing.

I get it, Seattle fans are annoying, but just deal with their b******t like a man and stop b***hing.

The whole spirit of sports encourages loud crowd noise. The only caveat when it comes to Seattle is that they've designed their stadium in such a way that the stadium amplifies noise by reflecting sound back down toward the field and the opposite side of the stadium. But there's nothing illegal about constructing a stadium to do that, so there's nothing wrong with fans cheering as loud as they can. But they will suffer the consequences later in life.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

Nope, the new stadium is a wide open design that will allow sound to escape freely into the air. There is very little reflecting the sound back into the stadium apart from the square green roof luxury suite section and maybe the north-facing scoreboard, which looks pretty enormous from the outside.

Well that's just wonderful. Why aren't we smart enough to just even the playing field ourselves and design our stadium like Seattles. It's pretty damn unfair that the offense can't even communicate with each other. Their fans aren't louder or better than anyone else's. Either no one should be subjected to that type of home field advantage or every stadium in the league should be capable of holding in noise that efficiently. Something needs to be done. I want to see Seattle get a taste of their own medicine and not be able to hear s**t in other peoples stadiums.
Originally posted by crabman82:
i lol @ the people who think its unfair. while seattles stadium is designed to hold in sound, they also were very loud back in the kingdome. any way you slice it, they're passionate fans who get into it and yell and scream during the games. of course fans of teams who dont do the same are going to see it as unfair.

Its not necessarily that its unfair because its not. Every venue is allowed the same advantage but you speak of it as though its not an advantage at all. lol at you too. One offense gets to communicate and one doesn't. That's not only an advantage its a HUGE advantage.
Originally posted by sspiker:
What a stupid idea.

Also if the NFL wants to limit crowd noise, they should look more at how stadiums are designed. Seahawks fans aren't louder than any other fanbase; they're just amplified due to the acoustics of the building.

The loudest fans are in KC. They rival Seattle's decibel levels in an open air stadium.
I agree that noise should be controlled somehow. Making rules that protect quarterbacks is for the betterment of the game. Similarly Crowd noise has nothing to do with one team being better than another and does nothing to improve the on field product. It has to do with one team not being able to hear themselves. . . It has more to do with location than competition. Why not just make the field slant one direction, or tie the away teams hands behind their backs?

Yell and scream as loud as you want. The whole point is to disrupt the visitors, but I think any kind of artificial element such as whistles or megaphones is bush. Other than that have at it.
watch, a (most likely crappy) player is gonna sue the league for going deaf during a game......................
Nope.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
watch, a (most likely crappy) player is gonna sue the league for going deaf during a game......................

what !
Originally posted by sspiker:
What a stupid idea.

Also if the NFL wants to limit crowd noise, they should look more at how stadiums are designed. Seahawks fans aren't louder than any other fanbase; they're just amplified due to the acoustics of the building.

Yeah the design has a lot to do with it but I have been and watched the Niners play at centrylink numerous times they pump crowd noise through th p.a. system .I can hear the feedback . Now I am not an expert but have been a musician for 30 years and I can tell
Share 49ersWebzone