LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Should the NFL take steps to reduce crowd noise in stadiums

Shop 49ers game tickets

Should the NFL take steps to reduce crowd noise in stadiums

• fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
not joking, when we're on offense people start screaming "LETS GO NINERS! clap clap clap clap clap" like it's a baseball game. It's gotten to the point where they air video of Joe Staley giving fans instructions of "when to cheer and get loud". lol

I think it's the bandwagon Giants fans causing all this.

I am sorry, are you telling fans not to cheer? This will be the end of the NFL!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Seattle and other teams are enhancing the noise artificially...and it should be banned. Cheering? Great! But enhancing it? Not so great. I don't go to Warriors games (and would love to see them) because they play loud obnoxious music all night long! That's not sports to me.

"Seattle and other teams are enhancing the noise artificially"

Absolutely proven false by the NFL on multiple occasions.
Originally posted by WINiner:
When crowd noise gets to where the decibels are at the point that it is physically difficult simply existing in it is not only dangerous but certainly unfair and teams should be allowed special allowances to protect themselves from the effects, but still able to operate their offense. A team should not be penalized for protecting themselves.

Should the Niners and 'Hawks not play in Jacksonville and in the Tampa heat and humidity ?

Or at the Pack in January where Aaron Rodgers is accustomed to playing in extreme cold and windy conditions and he's consistently won in that weather ? Maybe we shouldn't be playing in Denver because they can get altitude sickness ?
These factors all favor the home team.
Originally posted by fryet:
Since both teams have to play in the same conditions, I think it is fair. But when it comes to noise, the fans are intentionally noisy when the opponent's offense is on the field to try and disrupt them. The home team doesn't have to play in those same conditions. And of course, there isn't much we can do about the heat/cold, unless we want to mandate that every game be played in a dome.
Still, the packers are more used to play at low temperature than the Saints, the Fins, the Chargers and so on. That's a fact.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by seahawkblueforever:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Seattle and other teams are enhancing the noise artificially...and it should be banned. Cheering? Great! But enhancing it? Not so great. I don't go to Warriors games (and would love to see them) because they play loud obnoxious music all night long! That's not sports to me.

"Seattle and other teams are enhancing the noise artificially"

Absolutely proven false by the NFL on multiple occasions.

the way the stadium is built artificially enhances crowd noise. Seattle fans are no louder than KC or any other fans. it's just how Clink is designed.

so yes, your crowd noise is, by definition, artificially enhanced.
Originally posted by maltz88:
This thread cracks me up.

It's odd to me that everyone singles out Seattle for this. The Metrodome is only 5 or 6 false start penalties behind Seattle since 2007 and is very loud. What about Arrowhead Stadium? It's notoriously difficult to play there due to the crowd noise, and the intimidation factor of the complete sea of red.

If something is to be done about the noise, i'd also like to address the environmental factors.

Miami, Tampa Bay, Carolina, and Jacksonville are still awful in September, and they often force the visiting teams to wear their darker colors. This is not only unfair, but could be dangerous for visiting teams playing in the heat and humidity. While the home team is used to these temperatures.

New York, New England, Buffalo, Denver, Chicago, Green Bay, can be horrible places to play in December and January, and it's not fair for the visiting teams who aren't acclimated to the cold weather. Unfair advantage!

Wait a minute! Do you think that that's where the term "home field advantage" came from?

And in response to a few other posters, yes the Seattle fans actually are louder than other fans. I'm not claiming that other fans can't be as loud as the Seattle fans, I'm saying that they aren't as loud. Meaning the Seattle fans are ridiculous now with the 12th man thing, but the huge majority of them take it very seriously, and literally scream themselves hoarse at each home game. It was the same back in the Kingdome (which was much louder than the CLink by the way). It's also the same at Husky Stadium when they are playing good (as much as I hate them). The fans in this region just take it to another level. Which has really started to irritate me over the last couple years. It's now morphed into more about the fans than about the team for a lot of them! But I've been to games in San Diego, Dallas, Boston, New York, Baltimore, LA, Chicago, and Denver. So I've gotten to see a fair sampling of other teams stadiums, and none of them come close to the fans in Seattle. Like I said earlier, I'm not saying the they're super fans or anything, they just put a boat load of effort into it.

It's also pretty funny to see how many of you try to completely discredit Seattle as just being an average team with an unfair home field advantage.

Here are some of Seattles home records since Qwest field opened in 2002:

02': 3-5 at home 4-4 on the road.
04': 5-3 at home 4-4 on the road, and went to the playoffs.
06': 5-3 at home 4-4 on the road, and went to the playoffs.
08': 2-6 at home 2-6 on the road.
09': 4-4 at home 1-7 on the road.
10': 5-3 at home 2-6 on the road.
11': 4-4 at home 3-5 on the road, division champions!!! lol

If an average team could win out at home with Seattles unfair home field advantage, why have they been so.......average since the stadium opened? Perhaps the years that they are really tough at home might actually have more to do with the team than the crowd? Weird.

You make good points (and I, for one think the premise of this thread is pointless), however you neglected to mention that Seattle has the only stadium built specifically to amplify crowd noise and it inarguably has an effect on the visiting team.

Personally, I'm more of the "adapt and overcome" mindset so I am in no way making excuses for the 49ers....just saying.
No. No. No. No. No.

No.

No.

I totally agree. But I think the league is gonna have to loosen up on the rules here. There are a lot of loud stadiums, but Seattle is ridiculously loud. No team should have that type of competitive advantage where an opposing teams offense cannot communicate more than 3 feet away from the QB. Hand signals have their limitations. At some point players have to be able to hear (like tackles, TE's, slot players, and WR's). The Seabuzzards are a completely different team when they don't have the benefit of their home noise, and it shows in their game strategy. Their remaining away games are Houston, Indy, Cards, Rams, Atlanta, 49ers, and Giants. I see them winning - maybe - two road games (and I don't them winning against NO at home).

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame the fans. They should be as loud as they can get. But I do think that the league should really tweak the rules to equalize the competition for visiting offenses going to cities like Seattle. I admit that I'm not sure how the rules should be tweaked but I'm not in favor of penalizing the home team. I just don't like the idea of taking the fans out the game. But in my mind no team should have that type of home field advantage. Teams, even the best ones, or almost guaranteed a loss going up there. It's not good for the league when teams are nearly guaranteed a loss.

That's my take anyway

Because it deserves repeating
If the Niners had executed on offence a couple of times the crowd would have shut right up.

Quirks like this make sports fun, although it works against my team in this case I would definitely not want them to go back to giving penalties and stuff like that.

Candlestick has a bit of a home field advantage come playoff time too as it is usually a soggy mess! The Niners should know it better than the visiting team, and in this case the Seahawks will come to SF in late January and not be able to adapt after being used to their perfect field turf.
This thread might be the saddest thing I've seen since Ram Rules.

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
As teams make new stadiums, ticket prices and prices for merch and food will also increase, which will price-out the average Joe fan... the fan who screams and drinks 5 beers during the game...

So the new stadiums will become more orderly because of the cost of attendance.

Never gonna happen. You think the NFL is gonna squeeze out the average joe fan?
The average joe fan is why the NFL exists. Who's gonna fill all those bright and shiny new stadiums?

Use yer noggin, broseph.
Originally posted by bigfootballfan:
This thread might be the saddest thing I've seen since Ram Rules.

Best 1st post ever
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pahlerbj:

This is funny. And gay. Let the fans cheer as loud as they want, it adds to the character of the game.
Sherman's complete domination of Boldin was due to crowd noise?
A tipped ball and subsequent interception... Crowd noise?
The Niner D completely forgetting about Lynch and letting him walk into the endzone... Crowd noise?
A beautifully played ball and yet another INT (Yep, Sherman)... Too loud?
Gore not able to run on the Hawks since... What, 08? Too noisy?

Etc. and so on.
C'mon, really? Suck it up, the Niners just plain lost.
Hell no!!! It's Football.....

It is part of the game. If we had an HFA like the Seahawks (crowd), we woul be happy!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone