LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Should the NFL take steps to reduce crowd noise in stadiums

Shop 49ers game tickets

Should the NFL take steps to reduce crowd noise in stadiums

• fryet
  • Veteran
It seems like Seattle fan's defense is that other teams should do the same thing. It then becomes a competition of who has the loudest fans (or better designed loud stadiums). So let's say that the other NFL teams take this advice. Every stadium is as loud as Century Link. Home team wins 80% of the games. Visiting offense is regressive. Attending a game means you must yell the entire game so that your team wins. Fans suffer hearing loss.

I don't see how this benefits the NFL or the fan experience. The NFL wants close games. They want effective offenses and defenses competing against each other. They want the best football in the world to be found in the NFL. But if offenses just regress on the road, then you risk becoming a weaker league. Arena Football might even end up providing better football.

I don't think anyone wants the refs telling fans to be quiet. Fans should be able to cheer for their team. However, putting speakers in all of the helmets or putting sound dampening technology in a stadium doesn't prevent fans from cheering. Once fans realize they can't disrupt the offense, then they will cheer only when they are excited about a play, not all game long because they are expected to as a fan.
Originally posted by fryet:
It seems like Seattle fan's defense is that other teams should do the same thing. It then becomes a competition of who has the loudest fans (or better designed loud stadiums). So let's say that the other NFL teams take this advice. Every stadium is as loud as Century Link. Home team wins 80% of the games. Visiting offense is regressive. Attending a game means you must yell the entire game so that your team wins. Fans suffer hearing loss.

I don't see how this benefits the NFL or the fan experience. The NFL wants close games. They want effective offenses and defenses competing against each other. They want the best football in the world to be found in the NFL. But if offenses just regress on the road, then you risk becoming a weaker league. Arena Football might even end up providing better football.

I don't think anyone wants the refs telling fans to be quiet. Fans should be able to cheer for their team. However, putting speakers in all of the helmets or putting sound dampening technology in a stadium doesn't prevent fans from cheering. Once fans realize they can't disrupt the offense, then they will cheer only when they are excited about a play, not all game long because they are expected to as a fan.

As much as I dislike the Niners and how silly that "HFA initiative" thing was for the Hawks game. It obviously was a good move. That was one of the first games at the Stick where it really seemed like a field that had a HFA (i'm not saying that made us lose the game, I'm just saying it was actually nice to see at the Stick). If the Niner org and fanbase can keep that up, I really have a feeling the few (49% according to the poll on this forum) Niner fans who have an issue with crowd noise at stadiums will stop caring because they'll realize they have just as much HFA as any other team. As for decibel records, it's a gimmick, it's fun to say you have it. But honestly if a stadium is loud at 115 dB vs 120 dB (which is significantly louder), I don't think the louder stadium is going to suddenly have a higher HFA vs than the slightly less loud one. If it's loud and fans are screaming (during ALL FOUR downs) that's what matters most. The niner fanbase at the Stick had a great showing, and if it continues I think the few fans worried about noise at other stadiums will stop caring.

The GBOWR stated earlier this year that KC had a louder sustained dB level than CLINK. So it's not like the architecture of Clink is suddenly going to make Clink much louder than KC (and no one complains about their HFA) and they are open air just like Stick and I think Levis stadium is. The key is just getting the fans (or changing stadium policy to allow the fans) at the stadium to get loud on every down (not just third). If you listed to a Clink broadcast on TV vs another team. Honestly third down sounds about the same. Its 1st and 2nd down that's different, Clink 1/2/3rd all same level of noise, other stadium 1st down quiet, 2nd down a little louder, 3rd down finally loud. It's not the stadium, it's not even the fans (fans are all pasionate about their teams). It's just getting that habit going in your stadium to make ppl scream all 3-4 downs. That's it. lol should I repeat the same thing for the 4th time ;).

Anyway I'm just glad at least half the people here are complaining about something so silly.
Originally posted by fryet:

the slippery slope you went down is very wet
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
You quite obviously have no idea what a sound engineer makes, as for aiming higher in life, I aimed high enough to not be a seahawks fan which I consider quite an accomplishment seeing as how I have been witness to 5 superbowl championships by my team, instead of having to lurk on an opposing teams board whining because no one respects your fanbase.(these forums are likely as close to a championship you will ever experience) By the way, I am not a homophobe, you don't scare me in the least.

You seem to have a lot of anger. Do you often feel a lot of injustice in the world?

I see you now accuse me of being homosexual, the thing is I don't take it as an insult because I'm not a homophobe.

Still waiting to find out if Guinness are complicit with 3 separate sports teams apparently "cheating".
Originally posted by Shawnsim:
The thing is (And you can just ask 9ers fans who have been here) We are like the Dog Pound from days of yore. However; the entire stadium is like that as well. There is no piping or cheating. (Already been investigated and, dismissed.) We were the culprits back in the day that caused an official rule against crowd noise. Look. The crowd in Seattle is a matter of civic pride. For reference, we have caused 4 "earthquakes." Yeah I know we have no rings but, our fan-base is rabid to the core. I see a lot of sour grapes over this issue. The solution is to fall in love with your team and get the fan-base on-board. Develop the identity that you are the best fans on the planet and, let things go from there.

Calling the Seahawks cheaters because of the fans is patently ridiculous. Any fan-base in the NFL could do the same thing but, for some reason they do not. You could reap the same benefits that we do at home but, you just don't. I would suggest that you put the posting energy towards your fan base, instead of lashing out at an opposing teams fan-base. Every team in the NFL COULD have the same thing.....if they tried.

Calling yourselves the best fans on the planet is equally ridiculous.
[ Edited by ChipDouglas510 on Dec 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM ]
too bad they don't bring that same enthusiasm to the mariners and the super..................oops, still too soon?
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Dec 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM ]
Originally posted by pdizo916:
too bad they don't bring that same enthusiasm to the mariners and super...........................

Or the Seahawks before 2011 lol
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

I admit that the place has always been loud. But out here in cali, i can spot a bandwagon fan a mile away because nobody liked them until they gotten good.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

I admit that the place has always been loud. But out here in cali, i can spot a bandwagon fan a mile away because nobody liked them until they gotten good.

Oh yeah they are loud, I went to a game up there in 2009, it was loud but NOWHERE near the craziness it is at now becuse they had a losing record.
I have been to every Niner game in that stadium since the division was reformed. They have been yelling and screaming for years. I have seen some guys just yell for every second that the Niners offense was doing anything. Whether it is the huddle, at the line, even during timeouts. After trips to St. Louis for the Warner days, Atlanta LOL back in the 90's and even to Dallas I can confess that the bozos up there work hard to be part of it. They are annoying as hell and I promise, if you ever get to see a Niner win there (and they are rare) the sound of silence is priceless. One of these days, just one damn time I would like to see a Niner blowout there. In each of the 3 wins I have witnessed, they were really close games, so the fans were all crazy until the very end. I would love so much to enjoy an entire half of sadness. The walk out to the car will suffice for now.

I have been reading some messages about wanting to go there and beat the Hags on the way to the Super Bowl, while this would give me one more game to go to in person, I have to admit that I would rather them play anywhere but Seattle. Its not that I am scared, but the risk of losing a game is exponentially higher there. This is something I wish I could deny.

IF THOSE SEAHAG FANS CAN TRY TO BOYCOTT KAPS' HEADPHONES, WE AS NINER FANS,(and teh Chief fans) SHOULD BOYCOTT THEIR SUSPECT CROWD NOISE!!
Originally posted by London_Pride:
You quite obviously have no idea what a sound engineer makes, as for aiming higher in life, I aimed high enough to not be a seahawks fan which I consider quite an accomplishment seeing as how I have been witness to 5 superbowl championships by my team, instead of having to lurk on an opposing teams board whining because no one respects your fanbase.(these forums are likely as close to a championship you will ever experience) By the way, I am not a homophobe, you don't scare me in the least.

You seem to have a lot of anger. Do you often feel a lot of injustice in the world?

I see you now accuse me of being homosexual, the thing is I don't take it as an insult because I'm not a homophobe.

Still waiting to find out if Guinness are complicit with 3 separate sports teams apparently "cheating".
I am about as mellow as it comes. Still waiting for your genius self to explain how a crowd produces feedback without amplification, since I am a lowly sound engineer who obviously knows less about sound pressure level and feedback dynamics than some random dumbass burger flipper who decided to reach so much higher in life to become a seahawk bandwagoner.
I am about as mellow as it comes. Still waiting for your genius self to explain how a crowd produces feedback without amplification, since I am a lowly sound engineer who obviously knows less about sound pressure level and feedback dynamics than some random dumbass burger flipper who decided to reach so much higher in life to become a seahawk bandwagoner.

oh, snap
Originally posted by London_Pride:
As a sound engineer, I would have to say so. But being a s**thawk fan I am sure you don't mind cheating as long as it helps your team win. I haven't ever noticed feedback outside of the human vocal range at arrowhead though, and since that other place is a soccer stadium and I aM a heterosexual man, I can't comment on that. Can you explain how a stadium can have feedback in the 2khz range unless they are piping in noise? I am waiting for an explanation...still.

I'm not a sound engineer, I aimed a little higher in life, so I dont know nor do I much care. You are now accusing 3 different sports teams of cheating and Guinness also being complicit in this cheating. I'm not a lawyer either but that sounds quite libellous to me. Oh and well done on the casual homophobia.

Hahaha oooo kill em memphis. Who is this scum bag to try and rag on someone's career? You probably make more than he does too.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Hahaha oooo kill em memphis. Who is this scum bag to try and rag on someone's career? You probably make more than he does too.

by all accounts london pride is a seahawks fan and a troll. every one of his posts ive seen is inciteful
Share 49ersWebzone