LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

Should the NFL take steps to reduce crowd noise in stadiums

Shop 49ers game tickets

Should the NFL take steps to reduce crowd noise in stadiums

• fryet
  • Veteran
This is an old article, but it talks about the issue:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/sports/football/24noise.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Personally, the way I see it is that Seattle is a middle of the road team, however when they are almost guaranteed to win all home games, it makes it easy for them to get into the playoffs. 8-0 at home + 3-5 on the road = playoff birth.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
So far, no one agrees with me that the NFL should take steps to limit crowd noise. Let me stir things up by asking the question, then why not support the option of "bullhorns for everyone?" You might say, well, that would make things too loud. At which point, I would argue that you agree that there is indeed a line at which point stadiums are too noisy. My argument is then that some stadiums have already crossed the line where it is too noisy without using bullhorns, so based on this the league needs to take steps to reduce the volume in a stadium.
Bullhorns are irritating for other fans. So no. But let the people who paid the money enjoy themselves.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Bullhorns are irritating for other fans. So no. But let the people who paid the money enjoy themselves.
And noise levels that are not healthy for your ears is not irritating to fans either? I am not saying that fans should not be able to enjoy themselves, but if fans know that they can't disrupt the play (microphones in helmet), then they won't feel the need to yell just to try and disrupt the home team's offense. By all means, though, shout to encourage the defense.
As teams make new stadiums, ticket prices and prices for merch and food will also increase, which will price-out the average Joe fan... the fan who screams and drinks 5 beers during the game...

So the new stadiums will become more orderly because of the cost of attendance.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pahlerbj:

Wow that's crazy. I have a very vague memory of that game and rule.
What a stupid idea.

Also if the NFL wants to limit crowd noise, they should look more at how stadiums are designed. Seahawks fans aren't louder than any other fanbase; they're just amplified due to the acoustics of the building.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
crowd noise is why the '85 Bears lost in Miami.

the whole premise that the NFL should take steps to reduce crowd noise is lame, IMO. bring earplugs if you're worried about decibel levels.
gay idea.
When, in the judgment of the Referee, the level of crowd noise prevents the offense from hearing its signals, he can institute a series of procedures which can result in a loss of team time outs or a five-yard penalty against the defensive team.
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timing

• MuggD
  • Veteran
Does the NFL actually take steps to make sure the home team isn't pumping fake noise through the speakers to make it worse? Or maybe the home team can do that, I dunno, I don't think so though.
Originally posted by fryet:
So far, no one agrees with me that the NFL should take steps to limit crowd noise. Let me stir things up by asking the question, then why not support the option of "bullhorns for everyone?" You might say, well, that would make things too loud. At which point, I would argue that you agree that there is indeed a line at which point stadiums are too noisy. My argument is then that some stadiums have already crossed the line where it is too noisy without using bullhorns, so based on this the league needs to take steps to reduce the volume in a stadium.

Actually, I agree with your assessment. However, I think that QBs should all have headsets in their helmets. I am surprised that they don't. The crowd is not an actual part of the game (I know that some of you will disagree with me on this). Teams should win or lose based on their respective on-field play... not because the opposing team is unable to hear each other. That would make for a better game and a better evaluation of team talent on the field.
If they introduce the Vuvuzela to NFL games, I'll quit watching.

Keep Futbol out of my Football
I think everyone on the field should have a speaker in their helmet and the qb have a microphone as well if they so choose to use it. Why just one player? The league has acknowledged that crowd noise is an issue otherwise no one would have a radio in their helmet.
Originally posted by kingairta:
I think everyone on the field should have a speaker in their helmet and the qb have a microphone as well if they so choose to use it. Why just one player? The league has acknowledged that crowd noise is an issue otherwise no one would have a radio in their helmet.

I believe so as well. Tho it would take away a major asset of the home team challenge. The home team fans. Tho in our less productive yrs we usually had bout equal away fans at our home games as well! Nice to have success again!!!
Goniners
Share 49ersWebzone