LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 198 users in the forums

Philadelphia Eagles......New Chip Kelly Offense

Shop 49ers game tickets
Kap is tailor made for this offense
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
All good points. Because unlike the Eagles, if we lost Kaep, Gore and Boldin we would still operate like a finely tuned machine. LOL

Kaepernick didn't take half the shots that Vick did last night, some of them were self-inflicted as after ALL this time, that moron still hasn't figured out that its unwise for a 210 pound quarterback to run right into a 250 pound linebacker charging at him with a full head of steam. If Vick is still healthy by Week 8, I'll be absolutely amazed.

man you guys are so parochial.

I am not saying anything about Vick. I could give a s**t less about Vick. Is he injury prone? Yes. Will he last the season? Nothing to indicate why he would.

I am discussing this "new" offense and is it sustainable. Kelly brought something new last night that flashed explosiveness. He will obviously need the right folks to run it. But it looks like it will have success, players will want to come there, etc. Teams will always figure out ways to stop it. The good coaches find ways to adjust. Kelly did that at Oregon.

[waits for another vick will be injured post...]

If injuries were not part of the equation I would completely agree. It is a powerful, dynamic, fast offense that will continue to work in the pro's. However, injuries ARE a part of it. That is what happened to RGIII. He was used as a running back, and it ultimately cost the team.

Kap takes one or two tough hits a game. Vick is going to take about 10 - 20 tough hits a game. How are they going to run that offense without Vick? Don't they need the running quarterback? Isn't that a part of the offense?
Originally posted by BrianGO:
If injuries were not part of the equation I would completely agree. It is a powerful, dynamic, fast offense that will continue to work in the pro's. However, injuries ARE a part of it. That is what happened to RGIII. He was used as a running back, and it ultimately cost the team.

Kap takes one or two tough hits a game. Vick is going to take about 10 - 20 tough hits a game. How are they going to run that offense without Vick? Don't they need the running quarterback? Isn't that a part of the offense?

We will have to see. It is pretty open that Barkley will take this over next year, or the year after. I doubt Kelly would have drafted him if he wouldn't fit. I dont think you need a running QB, just a smart one who can move around and control the offense. Hell the holes they created last night Peyton Manning could have ran through. lol
they gassed out by the second half. Its going to be hard to do with 53 man roster for 16+ games
I remember reading not too long ago that the reason Frank Reich was able to lead the Bills to a 41-38 comeback victory after being down 35-3 in the '93 AFC Playoffs was because the Oilers offense could not sustain drives and defense was tired (and other factors of course).

You could ship our entire defense and Fangio to any of these fast paced teams and they will still be good and as effective but not as good as they are here.

And I think psychologically, it's harder to have a great defense when the offense is very good. I think our defense as great as it is maybe gets slightly more complacent week to week knowing Kaepernick can score more points than Smith. This is not an issue about who's the better QB for defenses but the defense themselves taking it down slightly. Same thing you get when you have a three touchdown lead...
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
they gassed out by the second half. Its going to be hard to do with 53 man roster for 16+ games

They were also on pace for 106 offensive plays. They were a bit gassed but I think Chip was smart and started working to milk the clock -- they were up 33-7. A big reason, imo, we lost the game up in the Clink last season was because our D played 90+ plays.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:

They were also on pace for 106 offensive plays. They were a bit gassed but I think Chip was smart and started working to milk the clock -- they were up 33-7. A big reason, imo, we lost the game up in the Clink last season was because our D played 90+ plays.

This. And they only had 7 from the crazy first drive call. Kelly took them down a step to slow the game down. If they get the defenses gassed like the skins were and score, then are smart enough to slow it down, Kelly will have made a smart choice.

maybe, i thought i read somewhere on this board that if they keep this pace its the equivalent of adding an extra 4-5 games. Add that with possibly playoff games and you are at around 20 games. Thats crazy, theres no way their bodies can hold up, Vick was already hobbling around by the end of the game. It was very exciting to watch for that first half but im still skeptical.

maybe, i thought i read somewhere on this board that if they keep this pace its the equivalent of adding an extra 4-5 games. Add that with possibly playoff games and you are at around 20 games. Thats crazy, theres no way their bodies can hold up, Vick was already hobbling around by the end of the game. It was very exciting to watch for that first half but im still skeptical.

Damn. That's a good point. Everyone talks about the NFC West knocking the crap out of each other, but lets see Chip wear out those NFC East defenses.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
All good points. Because unlike the Eagles, if we lost Kaep, Gore and Boldin we would still operate like a finely tuned machine. LOL

Kaepernick didn't take half the shots that Vick did last night, some of them were self-inflicted as after ALL this time, that moron still hasn't figured out that its unwise for a 210 pound quarterback to run right into a 250 pound linebacker charging at him with a full head of steam. If Vick is still healthy by Week 8, I'll be absolutely amazed.

man you guys are so parochial.

I am not saying anything about Vick. I could give a s**t less about Vick. Is he injury prone? Yes. Will he last the season? Nothing to indicate why he would.

I am discussing this "new" offense and is it sustainable. Kelly brought something new last night that flashed explosiveness. He will obviously need the right folks to run it. But it looks like it will have success, players will want to come there, etc. Teams will always figure out ways to stop it. The good coaches find ways to adjust. Kelly did that at Oregon.

[waits for another vick will be injured post...]

All offenses need the right personnel to run it. What you're failing to acknowledge is the fact that the NFL is not college football and the tempo of this offense is going to get it's players hurt. You seem to think that has nothing to do with whether or not the offense is sustainable, but no offense is sustainable when it's key components are being injured because of the style of play. In theory, you're right, if any scrub from nowhere could step in and run the offense the way the starters do, then sure, it's sustainable. But is that the case? Highly unlikely.

Again, no offense is sustainable when it's key components are constantly hurt due to the style they are forced to run. It's not about Vick. If you think the next guy can step in and run it as well as the first guy, then I don't know what to say except if the next guy could do it as well as the 1st, he wouldn't be the next guy in the 1st place.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Dan Steinberg ‏@dcsportsbog

Chip Kelly's NFL debut: 77 plays, 443 yards, 33 points. Spurrier's NFL debut: 73 plays, 442 yards, 31 points.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Chip Kelly's NFL debut: 77 plays, 443 yards, 33 points. Spurrier's NFL debut: 73 plays, 442 yards, 31 points.

LOL Wow
Originally posted by Jcool:

Yup. Not surprised that both coaches had monster debut's. Their offenses are radically different than what the NFL is used to. Teams will adjust, and Kelly's college offense won't be as effective. He has better players than Spurrier did, so I think Kelly will have more success.

In the end, how much of an advantage did Kelly's fast paced offense give them? Everyone is making a big deal that they ran off 77 plays. The Redskins ran 70 plays, and had ample time to mount a comeback despite being down by 26 at one point.. Not a big advantage there. You can't milk the clock and control the game with that system. Sure you can run a lot of plays and score points, but so will the other team.
Didn't see the game. Seems that their own defense doesn't get much of a breather as well
Originally posted by socalniner:
Didn't see the game. Seems that their own defense doesn't get much of a breather as well

Yup. Kelly had to slow it down drastically in the 2nd half because his guys were gassed. They didn't score any points after that.
Share 49ersWebzone