LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Cam Johnson being traded to Colts???

Shop 49ers game tickets
There are 5 WRs on the team. And 4 TE now.

This is what happens to teams when they are as stacked as the 49ers ... you simply can't keep all of the players you like.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by jreff22:
rather drop Skuta

Me too, but I guess Skuta could be moved to OLB for emergency back up.

Skuta is an OLB
all his career he was a inside linebacker, he was signed to back up willis and his henchman and play special teams. for whatever reason the coaches decided he would become a outside backer so thats what he did in pre season. i guess the theory is like, dahl at safety,, he can back up two spots plus play special teams which is something we did not have last year.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
This team....I don't know, man.

What don't you know? They have 13 draft picks going into next year and still have one of the most talented rosters in the league, with 5 or 6 NFL caliber players still waiting in the wings once they return from injury. The Niners are a juggernaut with the resources and the smarts to use ALL of them. Sure, you see a guy like Cam play out of his head to get a roster spot and it just happens to be on another team with a better chance for him to make an impact.
Skuta, Moody, and Stupar proved they can play D too. Ventrone I don't understand at all, but I hope he's going to be replaced by Marecic.
Originally posted by strickac:
This gives us like 15 picks next year. Holy damn that's a lot of ammo to move up.

We tried to move up a lot last year but Baalke said there were no takers esp. 4 late picks.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Cam was good all pre season...what, 4 sacks at least? Made 1 of only 3 great ST's plays? Who had a better pre season? Seriously...

Lemonier, easily. He was beating starters. Cam feasted on an old, tired, beat up Max Starks.
  • bret
  • Veteran
Folks need to keep some perspective. Johnson was considered at the time a 2nd or 3rd round talent who fell due to character issues. He didn't perform well for the Niners until the third preseason game. Then his blow-up performance against the 2nd and 3rd stringers on a bad o-line. His value may never be higher than it is right now. And the team is taking advantage of that by moving him now. They see him in the locker room and on the practice field. They know why he's underperformed up until now.

Finally in Lemonier, we got a guy with an amazing explosive first step. He's raw and ran himself out of a couple plays, but he's going to be a contributor. Skuta is a serviceable back-up as well who gives us quality special teams performance. I don't understand why there's so little trust that this front office and coaching staff knows what they're doing, when all the evidence we've seen points to them one of the best if not THE best at evaluating their players.

If we get anything better than a 7th round pick, we should be thrilled (and if we only get a 7th, it's hardly a loss considering he wasn't likely to be active on Sundays). And unlike this year when we "didn't need" all those picks (and notice how that is working out!), next year there's liable to be a pretty big roster turnover, and these picks are going to really help.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
The 49ers strike again. We set ourselves up for another dynamite draft. Having the ability to move up the draft board so many times was key to the 49ers successful draft. Not only that but having so many picks is always a plus. You have a better chance of hitting on 11-12 guys than 7, it helps when you have so many picks in the middle rounds too.

I don't get why people are getting so upset about trading our 5th and 6th olbs. Lemonier has more upside than both of these guys and skuta showed he can get after the passer. Lemonier Skuta Brooks and smith is a better rotation than haralson smith and brooks when they were all healthy and no one was complaining about that. Keeping 6 olbs was just out of the question, glad the 49ers got a 7th for Haralson and I'm glad the 49ers got something for Johnson.
good thoughts and thanks for spelling it out with actual names for people like me! even with the minor concerns i have about skuta never playing outside and putting all our eggs in the basket of the lemon man,, you are very right. that is a much better rotation than what we were running with at the end of last year. thank you for your good thoughts cc
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
you guys need to look at this way we traded Cam for a 7th and Harper.
Game 4 of the preseason is a trap game because it's the game where fringe guys are fighting for their NFL/PS lives showcase their skills but its like a glorified UFL game. Coaches probably knew he was going to see minimal time before it was going to be time to find space for MM or even LJ. Also when JH talked him up in that final press conference might of been a hint.

Before that game, Cam Johnson was as good as gone and showed minor improvements. He elevated his value by going LT circa 1986 and got enough attention from another team to get the Niners a pick that will be used to move up to grab Marquis Lee.
[ Edited by 602_JamestownAve on Sep 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM ]

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by jreff22:
rather drop Skuta

Me too, but I guess Skuta could be moved to OLB for emergency back up.

Kolohe, I am suprised that you don't know this. Skuta has been playing at OLB ever since he got here. The Niners coaches made that move the first week after they signed him.
This gives us like 15 picks next year. Holy damn that's a lot of ammo to move up.

We tried to move up a lot last year but Baalke said there were no takers esp. 4 late picks.

I believe it. It affords us the opportunity to move up earlier and then still have the picks remaining to select guys like Cam, Moody, Daniels..
Originally posted by susweel:

traded our 2012 7th round pick for Seahawks 2013 4th round pick and Colts 2014 7th round pick
Cam was good all pre season...what, 4 sacks at least? Made 1 of only 3 great ST's plays? Who had a better pre season? Seriously...

Lemonier, easily. He was beating starters. Cam feasted on an old, tired, beat up Max Starks.

He is a top pick and that is expected...to a large degree. Also adds little ST ability.
Originally posted by susweel:

That is great way to look at it. Well done, sus.
Share 49ersWebzone