LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Cam Johnson being traded to Colts???

Shop 49ers game tickets
I am not a fan of trading Cam for what was reported.
YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THE 9ERS ARE TRADING AWAY THEIR ONLY DECENT PLAYER FROM THE 2012 DRAFT?? WOW IT BETTER BE A 3RD ROUNDER OR ELSE!!
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
People are upset because we cut a guy that would never see the field this year? Sometimes ninertalk amazes me, dude was a preseason hero that had a nice game against guys that will be bagging groceries later this week and people are acting like we traded away one of our starters.

This. When we cut Hawkins I was thinking the same thing. Hawkins had some obvious character issues too but that's a different story.

Even if we take away the fact that we got the seacocks 4th round receiver/tight end project, we're still trading away someone who has injury/health problems. Now he did look really good but he was also stuck behind lemonier who was a high draft pick and the 49ers made it clear he was their guy to develop going forward. Lemonier looked better to me against tougher competition and is a rookie that is still very raw.

To say that gaining an extra 7th won't help us move up is foolish. We could easily move up in the 3rd or 4th with 1 7th or combine it with another 7th and move up higher. As it is right now we have. 1 1st possibly 2 2nds or 4 3rds a 4th 5th 6th and 4 7ths. Some are picks that can't be traded but most are picks that can be.

Summary I would rather combine the 2 7ths and move up to get the receiver/cornerback/safety we want or stand pat and draft 2 guys at a position of need and let them compete. You might end up with an Alfred morris or miles Austin. You do know that Haralson and Johnson were either gonna be cut or waste away on the bench. Best Cam could've became on our team was a situational pass-rusher that got very limited snaps.
Originally posted by Scoots:
This is a symtom of being a very deep team.

The only player/move I don't understand is Ventrone over Gray. 7 teams wanted Gray, can we say the same about Ventrone? :) And on Harper, we know no teams put in a claim for Harper ... so while he's something, he wasn't as well regarded as Gray.

I have to imagine Coach Seely pounded the table to keep Ventrone, and as far as teams wanting Gray over Harper that sure wasn't the case during the draft.
The problem is we drafted TOO WELL...and that is a good problem to have. Trying to pick the best of the best is truly hard...and as seen in the last 18 pages, each move is disliked by some( me included) but in the end there are still only 53 slots, and not all dress out. Trent and JH have done a tremendous job, putting an excellent team on the field with backups where they deem we need them most. Sure I hated to see Cam go, but if he couldn't even dress out...well, then, it is for the good. But Harper better by dam good....which JH/TB must have determined he is...unless they just want inside info, but they wouldn't trade Cam for that. Remember, we had 13 picks, and looking like that in 2014. Not all can make the team, and in fact, very few do. After your 3 and 4th picks, those guys are going to always have a hard time making a stacked team. And the note earlier about us having a WR injury hx is all too true...so we carry more of those.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
cam had one good game. otherwise, he played soft. if he has, indeed, turned it around and become an high-energy player, then losing him is a mistake, but if his hot game was an anomaly, then we come out ahead. we shall see.
Originally posted by WINiner:

Just because I agree with the trade doesn't mean I think we got what cam was worth. Cam should've garnished us a 5th and Haralson a 6th at least. The problem was where they were on the depth chart. Teams knew that Smith Brooks and Lemonier were locks. We could've kept cam but really how good would've have been to our team?
  • Garce
  • Veteran
really disappointed with this trade. this is a steal for the colts. reality is we have too much talent and guys like this slip through the cracks.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Scoots:
This is a symtom of being a very deep team.

The only player/move I don't understand is Ventrone over Gray. 7 teams wanted Gray, can we say the same about Ventrone? :) And on Harper, we know no teams put in a claim for Harper ... so while he's something, he wasn't as well regarded as Gray.

yeah, the gray situation is a big head-sctatcher; it was clear that he was a player in the making. just a dumb move. gray was better than several players on the team. i like harper; was hoping we drafted him 3rd-4th rd. he's worth spending time developing; it might work out.
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:

Just because I agree with the trade doesn't mean I think we got what cam was worth. Cam should've garnished us a 5th and Haralson a 6th at least. The problem was where they were on the depth chart. Teams knew that Smith Brooks and Lemonier were locks. We could've kept cam but really how good would've have been to our team?

Agreed...OLB are a premium in the league of 3-4 defenses! If you have a proven veteran and a young inexpensive pass rusher with upside, you don't let those guys go for nothing. That is essentially what we got. That said, I have no doubt Baalke did what he could and got the most he could. I was totally col with the Haralson deal but not the Cam deal. But let's watch it all play out and revisit it next year after the draft.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Cam was going to be inactive on game day all year. So this doesn't effect us at all. With Aldon, Ahmad, and Corey ahead of him for the foreseeable future. I don't know how he would ever see the field.

Baalke gets another 7th. He has a pretty decent record with late rd picks. Also pick up Harper, a 4th rounder this year. Most of our WRs are free agents next year. Harper could jump into the mix at some point.

Will Skuta be active?
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:

How much can a 7th rounder second year player with an injury history and 0 stats to his professional career be worth? We got boldin for a 6th and traded haralson for a 7th. Dunno how you can justify a second year player who hasn't played a down to get more than that
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Yeah... I remember this guy... remember how awesome he was last year?! Oh and never mind the injuries (sickle cell issue) and/or the fact that he either A. Takes plays off... a lot, and rarely is consistent or B. His health issues keep him from going hard consistently every down... HE WAS A 3rd STRING OLB!!!! He was not getting on the field before Lemonier. If we get a bag of chips in return we're doing pretty good!

I liked Cam Johnson when we drafted him... I still think he has potential, but I don't think he will EVER live up to it. IMO he was playing for a spot on the roster against the Chargers and he knew it. He gave his best effort of his career and it was against guys who are now bagging groceries.

I think this absolutely was the case of selling high... Johnson's worth will never be any higher than it is now. I haven't seen a specific draft pick, my guess is it's tied to what he does in Indy... and that will eventually net us a very late round pick, because he won't do much.

I like it... and I like Harper. He may not make an impact... I don't know, but I feel the exact same way about Johnson, so to get Harper AND a draft pick is a plus IMO.
  • DRnSFw
  • BlessUp
Originally posted by NCommand:
You do know he and Fleming were on IR last year right?

Relax man he's a 7th rounder who had one good game against 3rd and 4th stringers
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Something like 36% of the Seahawk's roster is UDFAs. There is talent towards the bottom (or outside) of the draft.

Yep. Now all Baalke and Jim need to do is work the PEDs into the off season workout program.
Share 49ersWebzone