49ers sign wr Chris Harper

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by seahawk12thman:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Garcia:
thats what we did. he signed to their practice squad but any player on a PS is free game, only stipulation is that he has to be on our 53 man for a min. of 3 weeks apparently

I thought players had to sign new contracts once they were released.. My understanding was that the seahawks terminated his contract and the niners signed him to a new contract first.. Am I wrong??

1) Seahawks waived him.
2) He cleared waivers (no team claimed him)
3) Seahawks signed him to practice squad
4) 49ers signed him OFF Seattle practice squad.
Thus the bidding war. Since the niners sold him on a longer term, active roster plan, he chose that. That makes sense now.. Can't blame him although it certainly ups the ante in our rivalry week 2 eh??

Sorta. ON PS I think they "only" make like 100K. On active roster its league minimum 400K.

Not really a tough choice.
Then I would have to get an explanation on the bidding part because if that is the case Cleveland would have stolen him from us for quadruple the salary..

Who said anything about bidding? As I understand it he cleared waivers (where anyone could have claimed him to their 53 man roster). He was then resigned to a PS contract with the Seahawks where the 49ers grabbed him. All Seattle could do was try to convince him to stay...which is difficult when you look at the difference in pay and a chance to make the active roster on gamedays.

BTW, if you're wondering why the 49ers didn't just claim him off waivers, it's likely because they didn't know they were about to lose the TE they had targeted for the practice squad to the Browns. He DID NOT clear waivers.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Sorta. ON PS I think they "only" make like 100K. On active roster its league minimum 400K.

I think it's 6k a week minimum but some might make more. I used to think they got paid way less, shiet that's hella money
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
What are we going to do with this guy? They are trying to create Delanie Walker 2.0. DW is gone. Get over it. Sometimes you get a new player that comes in and replaces him in a different way. You don't always have to have an exact clone of the last player.... McDonald is a big physical player who will do it in a different way. This guy won't even see the field much. I don't like this move.

That's ridiculous, there are physical stereotypes for positions. He has an H back body, they want an H back. They obviously feel he has the skill sets to play the position that they want. Same reason that there Aren't any 300lbs wide receivers.

Exactly. They want an H back. I see McDonald more as Vernon's replacement/upgrade over Walker but if an H back is important to their offense then get your guy.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Seahawks think we're pathetic for signing him

lol

Almost as pathetic as flushing a 4th-round pick down the toilet?
Originally posted by Rascal:
Too bad they didn't like Brandon Kauffman then cos the guy is 6'5".

"That means he's open every play."

-JJ Stokes
thats what we did. he signed to their practice squad but any player on a PS is free game, only stipulation is that he has to be on our 53 man for a min. of 3 weeks apparently

I thought players had to sign new contracts once they were released.. My understanding was that the seahawks terminated his contract and the niners signed him to a new contract first.. Am I wrong??

1) Seahawks waived him.
Thus the bidding war. Since the niners sold him on a longer term, active roster plan, he chose that. That makes sense now.. Can't blame him although it certainly ups the ante in our rivalry week 2 eh??

Then I would have to get an explanation on the bidding part because if that is the case Cleveland would have stolen him from us for quadruple the salary..

Who said anything about bidding? As I understand it he cleared waivers (where anyone could have claimed him to their 53 man roster). He was then resigned to a PS contract with the Seahawks where the 49ers grabbed him. All Seattle could do was try to convince him to stay...which is difficult when you look at the difference in pay and a chance to make the active roster on gamedays.

BTW, if you're wondering why the 49ers didn't just claim him off waivers, it's likely because they didn't know they were about to lose the TE they had targeted for the practice squad to the Browns. He DID NOT clear waivers.

1) Seahawks waived him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237371/article/chris-harper-leaves-seahawks-for-division-rival-49ers
"The Niners ultimately won the bidding war"
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Seahawks think we're pathetic for signing him

lol

Almost as pathetic as flushing a 4th-round pick down the toilet?

They can't be upset about that, if we didn't get him someone else would have guaranteed. Shoot last year we lost Nate Palmer
Harper is number 17 – fail

1) Seahawks waived him.

1) Seahawks waived him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237371/article/chris-harper-leaves-seahawks-for-division-rival-49ers
"The Niners ultimately won the bidding war"

Right...the same article that put us both in the NFC East.

Very often even these people don't know what they are talking about. This entire story was created from one Tweet that said nothing about a bidding war. All it said was "Seahawks were trying hard to keep him".

No bidding war here.
Of course there was no way to know they'd be able to sign Harper, but in retrospect I still would've liked to keep Gray around.

Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Of course there was no way to know they'd be able to sign Harper, but in retrospect I still would've liked to keep Gray around.

Yep I think this all stems from not being able to sign Gray to the practice squad,
Is it possible that Gray has picked up on waivers because his contract was much smaller than Chris Harper's? There were probably more teams trying to get Harper but they'd have to take his contract the way it was, not that it was big. Waiting for him to clear waivers and become a free agent a team could negotiate a contract.
AB83 would that be right?
this move happened because f**k seattle
It's simple. They were planning on grooming Gray to be the new H-back Walker-style player, but he was picked up. Harper is almost identical to Walker in body size, speed, background and strength. So, as far as I'm concerned, they got a better potential replacement for Walker because Harper has Walker's speed but Gray didn't.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
It's simple. They were planning on grooming Gray to be the new H-back Walker-style player, but he was picked up. Harper is almost identical to Walker in body size, speed, background and strength. So, as far as I'm concerned, they got a better potential replacement for Walker because Harper has Walker's speed but Gray didn't.

This. Harper is a better fit when it comes to replacing Delanie's role than Gray was. Gray has promise and a lot of potential but Harper is far more polished.
Share 49ersWebzone