LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

49ers sign wr Chris Harper

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Garcia:
We must have really liked this guy, he was drafted ahead of Patton and he was just gifted to us.

I wouldn't say gifted, you lost Cam for him. I would say in the NFL you can never have enough pass rushing depth. It haunted us in the playoffs and your lack of it last year may have cost you the Superbowl IMHO.
We must have really liked this guy, he was drafted ahead of Patton and he was just gifted to us.

LOL....can you imagine how irate the Seahawks fans will be if Harper turns out to be a pretty good player for the 49ers and Patton becomes the receiving beast he looks like he can be. 49ers not only got the guy that the Seahawks SHOULD have drafted, but also the guy that they DID draft. It's like a freebie 4th rounder out of the blue.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by seahawk12thman:
I wouldn't say gifted, you lost Cam for him. I would say in the NFL you can never have enough pass rushing depth. It haunted us in the playoffs and your lack of it last year may have cost you the Superbowl IMHO.

I think Cam feasted on some really bad players. He will be a decent player in this league but no world beater.

Skuta is a decent backup and Lemonier could start on most teams, IMO. We got depth.

On this roster it was a gift, Cam Johnson was originally the 6th best OLB on the team, then we traded Parys and he became 5th. Its very likely he would of never suited up but IMO the coaches were never serious about keeping him on the 53 all year long instead they wanted to capitalize on his great game and overall strong preseason.
I think Cam feasted on some really bad players. He will be a decent player in this league but no world beater.

Skuta is a decent backup and Lemonier could start on most teams, IMO. We got depth.

This, the guy he beat up on against the Chargers isn't on an NFL roster anymore. Decent talent, would never have gotten any burn here this season.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
LOL....can you imagine how irate the Seahawks fans will be if Harper turns out to be a pretty good player for the 49ers and Patton becomes the receiving beast he looks like he can be. 49ers not only got the guy that the Seahawks SHOULD have drafted, but also the guy that they DID draft. It's like a freebie 4th rounder out of the blue.

Im sure Ol' Petey is pretty pissed off. Tried to sneak him onto the PS and got caught. Again, he would probably be nothing more than an average WR but I really like him at Tight End.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I believe under 3 or 4 years in the league a player is waived. Guys after 3/4 years are cut and don't have to go through waivers and can sign with anyone. Guys under 3 or 4 (wish I could remember which) are waived. That means every team in the league has a chance to put a claim on him. The team with the worst record that puts in a claim wins. I'm not sure if that claim means they have to sign him to their 53 man roster or if it means they can just sign him to their PS. I believe once a player is on a practice squad it's a new contract and the old one is void. Any team at any time can sign a player off another team's PS as long as you put him on your 53 man roster. You can't sign a PS off another team to put them on your PS. Also, I believe that player can decline joining your 53 to stay on your PS. Lockette and a few others did that these past few years to stay with our PS. If nobody puts in a claim then the player is free to sign with any PS they want. Could also sign with any 53 man roster he wants if he's lucky enough to get an offer for a roster. P.S. Anyone who has followed the NFL for awhile knows how complicated all their rules are. They have so many rules that are always changing even people who have followed the NFL for 20 years like myself get confused a lot. I'm hearing about rules I never knew existed all the time. There is always something new to learn. It really is hard to keep track of everything. Contracts can also be very detailed and confusing as well. These cap and contract guys they hire for these teams could probably run large companies.
I THINK tolzien was signed to GB practice squad, and since he's a 3rd year player, i think after the third year, the player can no longer go on the practice squad.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
[ Edited by Garcia on Sep 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM ]
you cant claim a player and not have him on the 53

Yeah you can, just like Chicago did with Lockette. Tolzien passed through waivers and GB opted to add him to their practice squad.

EDIT-I see your ninja edit bro.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 2, 2013 at 3:43 PM ]
After watching everything there was of him on youtube, I think it was a pretty good signing. Dude is thick and CBs bounced off him constantly, the biggest flaw I saw was ball security and inconsistent route running. He fumbled a few times when trying to gain more yards (just like DW haha) and some routes he would run crisp and use double moves to freeze the CB other times he rounded off his routes and the CBs easily caught up to him.

But in terms of potential, its all there however he (along with Baldwin) is gonna have to show something before week 6 to make the coaches want to keep him and cut someone else when MM comes back.

Pretty sure not 1 team put in a claim on Tolzien for their 53 man roster so once that happens he is then allowed to sign with any team's practice squad or any team's 53 man squad (if lucky enough to get offer). I guess he is still eligible for it.
  • bret
  • Veteran
I went to the Seahawks Fanboard to see what their fans were thinking. I came across this - pretty funny:

"Typical 9er headline: The [team name] have received [player name] from the 49ers in exchange for a [number] round pick.
Typical Seahawk headline: The [team name] have claimed [player name] from waivers, formerly of the Seahawks.

I love our FO, but shamefully jealous of how 9ers keep turning their scraps into picks while we seem to let them go with nothing in return. Same thing on draft day. Its like a freaking Jedi mind trick. You will give us next year's second round pick in exchange for this bag of feces. And they just nod."
Originally posted by Marvin49:
thats what we did. he signed to their practice squad but any player on a PS is free game, only stipulation is that he has to be on our 53 man for a min. of 3 weeks apparently

I thought players had to sign new contracts once they were released.. My understanding was that the seahawks terminated his contract and the niners signed him to a new contract first.. Am I wrong??

1) Seahawks waived him.
2) He cleared waivers (no team claimed him)
3) Seahawks signed him to practice squad
4) 49ers signed him OFF Seattle practice squad.
Thus the bidding war. Since the niners sold him on a longer term, active roster plan, he chose that. That makes sense now.. Can't blame him although it certainly ups the ante in our rivalry week 2 eh??

Sorta. ON PS I think they "only" make like 100K. On active roster its league minimum 400K.

Not really a tough choice.
Sorta. ON PS I think they "only" make like 100K. On active roster its league minimum 400K.

Plus the 49ers offered him a 3 year contract, bigger long-term investment by them.
thats what we did. he signed to their practice squad but any player on a PS is free game, only stipulation is that he has to be on our 53 man for a min. of 3 weeks apparently

I thought players had to sign new contracts once they were released.. My understanding was that the seahawks terminated his contract and the niners signed him to a new contract first.. Am I wrong??

1) Seahawks waived him.
2) He cleared waivers (no team claimed him)
3) Seahawks signed him to practice squad
4) 49ers signed him OFF Seattle practice squad.
Thus the bidding war. Since the niners sold him on a longer term, active roster plan, he chose that. That makes sense now.. Can't blame him although it certainly ups the ante in our rivalry week 2 eh??

Then I would have to get an explanation on the bidding part because if that is the case Cleveland would have stolen him from us for quadruple the salary..
Share 49ersWebzone