There are 222 users in the forums

The Owen Marecic Convertible MG of Specialness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Many Stanford players that played for Harbaugh have been available as draft picks or free agents since Coach took over the 49ers in 2011. Coach wants him that's good enough for me.
Originally posted by dugo:
Wasted roster spot....

This
I think talent wise he's not an upgrade.maybe he makes great taquitos or something. perhaps eating marecic taquitos kap can put weight on his legs and avoid injury?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Your right, I don't know, I'm no coach or not on the staff obviously, I'm just looking at the numbers at RB/FB as a fan and they are stacked at the position.

Frank Gore
Kendall Hunter
Anthony Dixon
Bruce Miller
LaMichael James
Marcus Lattimore
Owen Marcic

That's just as much as the receivers or same. Just my opinion but I would have rather seen Marcus Cooper or Darryl Morris earn the spot they deserve.

If Marecic comes in and becomes a special teams stud and provides depth all across the board, I doubt anyone will be complaining in the sllightest.

Are we going to keep 6 RB's active on game day?
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
marecic may have intangibles up the ying-yang,but if you watch him closely you can see that he has marginal nfl athleticism. how much is "try-hard" going to overcome that?
Originally posted by WINiner:
This

Wasted roster spot....based on what? HOLY s**t, after 2 incredibly successful seasons, people still have an OCD need to nit-pick everything the coaching staff does. If Harbaugh thinks Marecic can be a valuable addition, that's good enough for me. Harbaugh could have brought a lot of former Stanford players on board, the fact that he went after this guy, and made a point of stating that the 49ers had really wanted him after he was drafted by the Browns is good enough for me. If Harbaugh thinks Marecic has a role on this team, I'm down with it.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, I'll defer to Harbaugh on this one.
hopefully he takes that clown Ventrone's spot
It is almost always about talent, but some times you have to bring in the guys that exemplify the type of football players you want on your team. The way they think, work, compete can do a lot for team chemistry and make improvements no one can measure.

That was mostly crap...but it could be true.
Originally posted by xcfan:
marecic may have intangibles up the ying-yang,but if you watch him closely you can see that he has marginal nfl athleticism. how much is "try-hard" going to overcome that?

Because we know there are absolutely zero examples of guys with "marginal NFL athleticism" being valuable contributors to championship teams........

So Marecic, Brooks, Constanzo and McCoy. We take Browns players, get their best years out of them, then likely ship them to the Chiefs. Well thats at least where McCoy plays his final year. Interesting business model.
This

Wasted roster spot....based on what? HOLY s**t, after 2 incredibly successful seasons, people still have an OCD need to nit-pick everything the coaching staff does. If Harbaugh thinks Marecic can be a valuable addition, that's good enough for me. Harbaugh could have brought a lot of former Stanford players on board, the fact that he went after this guy, and made a point of stating that the 49ers had really wanted him after he was drafted by the Browns is good enough for me. If Harbaugh thinks Marecic has a role on this team, I'm down with it.

I tend to agree with you, but we are literally stacked at the RB/FB position for at least the next 5 years barring a rash of injury, before Marecic. This late into the process when is the earliest he can contribute on game day? I trust Harbaugh and Baalke in pretty much everything, but I can still not be a fan of signing a guy at a position where there is probably the least amount of need, both present and future imo, than any other position on the roster.
Well, we were looking for a new drinking game at the bar to replace "every time they show Alex Smith". How about "every time the camera shows Marecic standing behind Harbaugh" everyone has to drink?
I tend to agree with you, but we are literally stacked at the RB/FB position for at least the next 5 years barring a rash of injury, before Marecic. This late into the process when is the earliest he can contribute on game day? I trust Harbaugh and Baalke in pretty much everything, but I can still not be a fan of signing a guy at a position where there is probably the least amount of need, both present and future imo, than any other position on the roster.

He's not being brought in to be a running back. He barely ran the ball in Stanford as it was. His value is in his versatility, he played linebacker, he played fullback, he was a very good special teams player in college, he's not a guy who's just going to sit at the back of the RB depth chart. If it makes you feel better, just consider him a fulllinerunningbacker. :P
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 31, 2013 at 3:56 PM ]

+1
Share 49ersWebzone