LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 148 users in the forums

The Owen Marecic Convertible MG of Specialness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by 49ertheman:
can someone tell me a few occasions where a player was used wrong and went somewhere new and The coach utilized him better. besides a QB. please bc saying that harb will know how to use him is stupid. If the player is good then he can f**kin figure out how to be productive in his predicament. the dude is not good and will do nothing for us. mark my words. Harb just wanted to get one of his former fave players some money. he probably has financial problems or something.

Vontae Burcifit. First round pick to undrafted dumbass, now starting LB for bengals

Marshall Faulk

Curtis Martin

Chris Carter, HOF in Minny

Loser under Buddy Ryan in Phi
Ahmad Brooks
all the players you guys are listing had potential...they were drafted high or showed rare ability.

and why is Marshall Faulk's name mentioned? dude was great in Indy.

we are talking about a slow/short for his position FB/LB. I would love for him to surprise me in some way, but I just don't see it when I see his highlights.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
all the players you guys are listing had potential...they were drafted high or showed rare ability.

we are talking about a slow/short for his position FB/LB. I would love for him to surprise me in some way, but I just don't see it when I see his highlights.

Tom Brady? Drafted 6 round, wins Super Bowls.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I don't know if Ahmad Brooks was necessarily used wrong, but he definitely was not an All Pro linebacker in Cincinatti. He was cut at the end of preseason 2008 and we signed him a day later. Marshawn Lynch was nowhere near the back he is now that he was in Buffalo. Change of environment can do wonders in certain occasions.

OK, your comment made me think differently .. because both of those players grew into good players rather than get coached into good players. I guess we could take our time with him and let our coaches do their thing but he was thrown into the starting spot in clevland, I just don't see him contributing right now. We need to concentrate on the players we had already like Quinton Patton, Baldwin, Vance, Reid, and Kendall Hunter
both of those players were Athletic freaks though...they had potential... and Marshawn was already f'n Beast in Buffalo anyway. Seattle lucked out with that move.

I don't know what is unique about Marecic...but hey I'd rather the club be weird about their actions regarding a backup FB...rather than a Backup QB.

Lynch was good in Buffalo, but I wouldn't have called him a beast. He took it two levels higher in Seattle. In terms of Owen, who knows. We aren't always going to see what a player brings. This is the same regime that drafted a DE and turned him into a pretty decent FB. They drafted a FS that ended up being our best corner. They took a QB that the majority thought was a bust and he became a guy that could potentially lead a team to the Super Bowl. If somehow Marecic becomes Tom Rathman 2.0, it really wouldn't surprise me at all. Or maybe he's here for special teams help. Who knows. Let's just wait and see.

We drafted JJ Stokes, a highly touted receiver who was supposed to be the next big thing. But we ended up drafting another receiver the following year out of a small school that ended up being a Hall of Fame player (T.O.). Who would've saw that coming from the highlights?

I'm not old enough to know the hype he got coming out, but I'm sure Charles Haley couldn't have had that big of a name coming out of a Division II school.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Lynch was good in Buffalo, but I wouldn't have called him a beast. He took it two levels higher in Seattle. In terms of Owen, who knows. We aren't always going to see what a player brings. This is the same regime that drafted a DE and turned him into a pretty decent FB. They drafted a FS that ended up being our best corner. They took a QB that the majority thought was a bust and he became a guy that could potentially lead a team to the Super Bowl. If somehow Marecic becomes Tom Rathman 2.0, it really wouldn't surprise me at all. Or maybe he's here for special teams help. Who knows. Let's just wait and see.

Just a small point... but Lynch coined "beast mode" while in Buffalo, and he was a beast, he just didnt have his head on straight till his millionaire status got threatened.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Blocking H-Back that understands the offense - can train McDonald and recognize immediately from film what they ask Walker to do.

Jim didnt run the pistol in Stanford
what the hell all of yall are totally changing the subject... it was not about low draft picks being useless or what ever...it was about players doing bad for one team, then going to another team to being much better.

the very few who did do that were because they had potential...either Athletically or were just gifted in on the field.

Ahmad Brooks was ALWAYS gifted athletically.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
can someone tell me a few occasions where a player was used wrong and went somewhere new and The coach utilized him better. besides a QB. please bc saying that harb will know how to use him is stupid. If the player is good then he can f**kin figure out how to be productive in his predicament. the dude is not good and will do nothing for us. mark my words. Harb just wanted to get one of his former fave players some money. he probably has financial problems or something.
LOL, who knows... you could be right
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Blocking H-Back that understands the offense - can train McDonald and recognize immediately from film what they ask Walker to do.

Jim didnt run the pistol in Stanford

He still doesn't really. We aren't a pistol offense.

what the hell all of yall are totally changing the subject... it was not about low draft picks being useless or what ever...it was about players doing bad for one team, then going to another team to being much better.

the very few who did do that were because they had potential...either Athletically or were just gifted in on the field.

Ahmad Brooks was ALWAYS gifted athletically.

I understand your point. Players are who they are, more or less. But schemes and position adjustments can have a huge affect on a player's productivity. Here are my examples:

Justin Smith- First round talent, massive physical attributes. The Bengals wanted him to be a 4-3 end that racked up sacks. He just didn't have the speed around the edge. The switch to 3-4 end, which many said was a mistake since he is somewhat undersized for that position, resurrected a promising career. If he stayed in Cincinnati, he would have never been a pro-bowler.

Ahmad Brooks- Again, Cincinnati. They could never decide what to do with him. He spent time as an ILB, OLB (4-3), and defensive end. Massive potential but never used properly.

Doug Flutie- My favortie no-Niner QB of all-time. He just needed to ply his trade in the CFL for a few years before another team would give him a shot. The Patriots wanted him to be a savior. Buffalo just wanted him to be scrappy and win some games.

I have no idea what Owen Marecic will bring to the team. I think Miller is a much better FB. But who the hell knows? Miller has done well, but would you say he is a superstar? Perhaps Owen can either push him, teach him, or provide some asset that Miller can't.
Didn't we bring in a guy named Chris Harper to be our H-Back? We have Baldwin as well...and now Marecic. I wonder if we'll ever actually use them some day.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 20, 2013 at 6:48 AM ]
At least we don't have to bring in a dline guy as an extra blocker on goal line plays.
If Marecic is activated for games, like it seems he will be, which current activated player will get replaced come gametime? and which special team's player is he going to replace...and do you think so.

Still just seems very confusing with this signing.

maybe its that #41 guy Verhone (sp?) Safety mainly used for Special Teams.
If Marecic is activated for games, like it seems he will be, which current activated player will get replaced come gametime? and which special team's player is he going to replace...and do you think so.

Still just seems very confusing with this signing.

maybe its that #41 guy Verhone (sp?) Safety mainly used for Special Teams.

That would be my best guess as well.
Share 49ersWebzone