LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

Will football become ghettoized

Shop 49ers game tickets
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/23380419/author-malcolm-gladwell-says-football-will-become-ghettoized
When he throws that word "Ghettoized" out there I think of what the NBA has become. No majesty whatsoever anymore.
dismissed the entire article once I read "ghettoized". What an idiot.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
ha it already is
Originally posted by zillabeast:
When he throws that word "Ghettoized" out there I think of what the NBA has become. No majesty whatsoever anymore.

The NBA is more and more embracing international talent. Now the dominant athletes in the NBA predominantly hail from some peculiar environments oftentimes but there won't be anyone with real and serious talent to shy away from playing roundball because of the simple fact that every contract is guaranteed unlike football. If you can play basketball you will play in the NBA because no one will pass on that dough whether you are suburban or urban. The NFL won't become ghetto because Roger Goodell is keeping helmets on and limiting player celebrations with more and more rules and restrictions both on and off the field as each day passes
The NBA has marketed it's product around the world like no other sport. The NFL owners are so focused on profits they are blind to growth. I'm living in India, during the season the NBA broadcasted 3 or 4 games a week. In contrast, the NFL stopped broadcasting games here 5 years ago. How is a sport going to grow without exposure. The cracks in popularity of the NFL brand are showing. Many families, the ghetto included, will not allow their children to play contact football due to the long term injury effects. In Asia I see basketball courts everywhere, I've never seen kids throwing a football around at anytime. The words the players use to define the NFL is Not For Long, this will apply to the owners unless there is more exposure worldwide. However, the injury factor may make the sport outdated in the not too distant future. I make this statement as a fan who has loved the sport for over half a century.
What a smug, self important sack of crap. f**k this guy, he just sounds like an absolute elitist c**t.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
The NBA has marketed it's product around the world like no other sport. The NFL owners are so focused on profits they are blind to growth. I'm living in India, during the season the NBA broadcasted 3 or 4 games a week. In contrast, the NFL stopped broadcasting games here 5 years ago. How is a sport going to grow without exposure. The cracks in popularity of the NFL brand are showing. Many families, the ghetto included, will not allow their children to play contact football due to the long term injury effects. In Asia I see basketball courts everywhere, I've never seen kids throwing a football around at anytime. The words the players use to define the NFL is Not For Long, this will apply to the owners unless there is more exposure worldwide. However, the injury factor may make the sport outdated in the not too distant future. I make this statement as a fan who has loved the sport for over half a century.

A basketball court is cheaper to install and maintain, and doesn't need as much space. It's one of the main reasons the sport became so popular in urban areas. In the same space you would need to put in a football field, 3 basketball courts can be installed.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by zillabeast:

The NBA is more and more embracing international talent. Now the dominant athletes in the NBA predominantly hail from some peculiar environments oftentimes but there won't be anyone with real and serious talent to shy away from playing roundball because of the simple fact that every contract is guaranteed unlike football. If you can play basketball you will play in the NBA because no one will pass on that dough whether you are suburban or urban. The NFL won't become ghetto because Roger Goodell is keeping helmets on and limiting player celebrations with more and more rules and restrictions both on and off the field as each day passes

I know. And I do think the NBA is going to run away with the future because of that. They also do a better job marketing to young people through the tone of their advertisements.

I'm just a grumpy old guy who appreciates how the NFL treats itself with a high level of seriousness. It's like comparing an MTV program to an AMC program.

The seeds for failure have been planted though. Basketball and Soccer are what today's kids want to play more and more of.

What's funny is that if the NFL had not taken steps towards improving player safety and become more and more violent, it would have become even bigger than it already was. Americans love their bloodsports.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
i didnt read the article but a HUGE LOL at you guys thinking the NFL will decline without International exposure.

The NFL CONTROLS the United States and will continue to do so for a very very very long time.

The NFL/NCAA is making great strides to improve the safety of the game. Is it sad that it took so long for them to clean it up? Sure. But let's be honest, had the old timers never came down with that law suit all this would be a foot note in the history of the game. Also the NFL is pushing to have a presences on the international market but it's hard when fans b***h and moan about their team playing a game in London or Toronto (Bills). We also have teams like the Dolphins and Jags fighting to keep butts in seats, yet the game keeps making billions yearly.
Originally posted by mkmasn:
A basketball court is cheaper to install and maintain, and doesn't need as much space. It's one of the main reasons the sport became so popular in urban areas. In the same space you would need to put in a football field, 3 basketball courts can be installed.

I grew up playing sewer to sewer in the ghetto and we used a wax milk carton stuffed with paper as our football. We couldn't get on the basketball court, the "big kids" would be on the courts all day. The Police Athletic League funded us with equipment and formed leagues where everyone played. The cops would see us playing with our make-shift footballs in the streets and drop off footballs while they were patrolling in their squad cars.
It's all about who you know and what coolllegdhe is mainstream football.

Why else are these overrated coaches still in the league? Because they've kissed enough ass to make friends somewhere to make a decent reference.

Why aren't there a shtiload of latinos like in baseball in football? Because most of the baseball latinos are from outside the U.S. and not in the U.S. college football rat race system.
[ Edited by TonyStarks on Aug 31, 2013 at 6:57 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I love me some idiots... entertaining!
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by mkmasn:

I grew up playing sewer to sewer in the ghetto and we used a wax milk carton stuffed with paper as our football. We couldn't get on the basketball court, the "big kids" would be on the courts all day. The Police Athletic League funded us with equipment and formed leagues where everyone played. The cops would see us playing with our make-shift footballs in the streets and drop off footballs while they were patrolling in their squad cars.

Dayum dude. That's gangsta!! Nice to see the cops had some compassion for you guys though!
Share 49ersWebzone