There are 243 users in the forums

Concussion and the NFL

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
f**k the former players, they fully knew the risks involved in playing football. because of them current players on defense are being fined left and right for "illegal" hits

They knew broken bones could happen... NO ONE knew about head injuries and the long term repercussions till VERY recently

"i had no idea getting my head bashed in for 10-20 years would have long term effects"

riiiight, better sue the high schools and colleges too i guess

when players like jim mcmahon are asked whether theyd play all over again knowing what they know now, they say yes. its b******t
f**k the former players, they fully knew the risks involved in playing football. because of them current players on defense are being fined left and right for "illegal" hits

They knew broken bones could happen... NO ONE knew about head injuries and the long term repercussions till VERY recently

"i had no idea getting my head bashed in for 10-20 years would have long term effects"

when players like jim mcmahon are asked whether theyd play all over again knowing what they know now, they say yes. its b******t

Why you so mad? It's not even your $$$

The NFL settled on their own and are happy to help some players with severe neurological problems.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

The NFL settled on their own and are happy to help some players with severe neurological problems.

He is mad because of the pussification of the NFL as a result.

cuz they're changing the game. the nfl fears large lawsuits like this. i'm all for player safety in terms of taking concussions more seriously but the NFL is going extreme to show in court (possibly) that they are taking every measure possible to lookout for the players.

True. I still believe most players won't do what Alex Smith did and report symptoms only to lose their jobs. They would mask them and play on. Happened all the time then but now they want compensation when they see QBs signing $120mil contracts
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

True. I still believe most players won't do what Alex Smith did and report symptoms only to lose their jobs. They would mask them and play on. Happened all the time then but now they want compensation when they see QBs signing $120mil contracts

any player would rather get hit in the head then have a player take out his knees and end his season/career...it's just really hypocritical.

any player would rather get hit in the head then have a player take out his knees and end his season/career...it's just really hypocritical.

True. Perhaps they have players sign amended waivers now
True. Perhaps they have players sign amended waivers now

which is weird cuz i always thought this was the case
So now can the lighten up on the new f**king rules. Most of that was due to appearance for the court case. The NFL wanted to show they were trying to look out for the best interest of the players. Now everyone knows the consequences no X player can come back later and try to sue saying the NFL didn't make them aware.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
So now can the lighten up on the new f**king rules. Most of that was due to appearance for the court case. The NFL wanted to show they were trying to look out for the best interest of the players. Now everyone knows the consequences no X player can come back later and try to sue saying the NFL didn't make them aware.

You'd think that would be the case. I hope so.

I definitely want the league to take concussions seriously. They just go to the extreme with everything being a flag.

cuz they're changing the game. the nfl fears large lawsuits like this. i'm all for player safety in terms of taking concussions more seriously but the NFL is going extreme to show in court (possibly) that they are taking every measure possible to lookout for the players.

I think it was inevitable that they would do something about the head hits..... You could argue that the hit on Steve Young and his multiple concussion games sparked the initial interest .... I thought he was dead on the last hit he took for a moment.

Seau climaxed the whole situation.

The NFL obviously didn't want everyone to know how much they knew by settling.
I think it was inevitable that they would do something about the head hits..... You could argue that the hit on Steve Young and his multiple concussion games sparked the initial interest .... I thought he was dead on the last hit he took for a moment.

probably

but most of the players are hypocrites because they would have kept playing even knowing everything there is to know about concussions.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

He is mad because of the pussification of the NFL as a result.

+1

probably

but most of the players are hypocrites because they would have kept playing even knowing everything there is to know about concussions.

Maybe , maybe not. I'm sure most would have but they all deserved to know what the NFL knew so they could make an informed decision on how they treated their individual head injuries. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a paper trail in which the NFL turned the shoulder in regards to medical information being with held. The NFL settled and that helps them to keep a lot of the paper trails on the hush for a while.
It's small potatoes for the NFL. I needed a few stitches, went to the emergency room for 45 minutes, bill was over $6,000. Imagine that the $180,000 allotted for each player won't go too far.
Share 49ersWebzone