LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 286 users in the forums

Haralson....

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Really? We were 5 yards and 4 crappy offensive play calls away from winning a 6th ring. Not sure we missed him all that much.

You don't think when Aldon was hurt with the shoulder injury we could have used him? Those guys wore down as well. I would have loved to have Haralson out there over Haggans. Would have allowed us to give them guys more breathers as well. Don't listen to me then Ghost, I'm pretty sure Fangio said in a press conference how much they missed him last year. I thought you would be on the other side of the argument on this one. Still you're a great poster and I will always respect your opinion.

As for a paycut he did take one right around when Manningham did. Manningham was like 3.6 down to 1.8. Haralson's was like 2.6 down to 1.3
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM ]
  • thl408
At first I was not liking this idea at all, but I have not watched Skuta enough this pre-season to gauge what the drop off is from Parys to Skuta. If the coaches have confidence in Skuta, making Parys expendable, I am in favor of trading Parys for a mid rounder (3rd). If it's a low end 4th, I'd rather keep Parys for peace of mind. Cam Johnson I don't care for.

With Patton and Baldwin looking serviceable, I think keeping 5 WRs is a viable option (Baldwin, Boldin, Patton, Moore, KWill) in order to keep an extra LB.
Freeing up more money to sign Iupat, BOOK IT
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Really? We were 5 yards and 4 crappy offensive play calls away from winning a 6th ring. Not sure we missed him all that much.

You don't think when Aldon was hurt with the shoulder injury we could have used him? Those guys wore down as well. I would have loved to have Haralson out there over Haggans. Would have allowed us to give them guys more breathers as well. Don't listen to me then Ghost, I'm pretty sure Fangio said in a press conference how much they missed him last year. I thought you would be on the other side of the argument on this one. Still you're a great poster and I will always respect your opinion.

Sure we could've used him, but the net result without him was still pretty incredible. I'm not at all saying he's useless, and his veteran leadership is a good thing, but he's a one-trick pony now (run defense) with almost no other impactful skill. All I'm saying is, he's very replaceable. Thanks for the kind words, btw.

Also, for people that know me, I've followed Parys since he was at Tennessee, so it's not a personal thing at all with me. I love the dude, but every veteran reaches the point where he's replaceable, and PH has reached that point.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM ]

we were also like 10 yards away from losing to the Falcons. Point is, we might have won the SB with some margin to spare if our pass rush had been fresher.
"Mr. Baalke, Andy Reid is on line 1 . . ."
better to trade good player than cut a good player. hes not so much better than the other guys to be above being cut.
Sure we could've used him, but the net result without him was still pretty incredible. I'm not at all saying he's useless, and his veteran leadership is a good thing, but he's a one-trick pony now (run defense) with almost no other impactful skill. All I'm saying is, he's very replaceable. Thanks for the kind words, btw.

I would agree that he isnt that great of a pass rusher but he is good against the run. He really fixed that because I remember when he was a better pass rusher he was bad against the run. I guess depends on how we fell Lemonier could do against the run because he should be able to rush the passer. Don't get me wrong I like Lemonier, Skuta is solid (although too slow to cover) and Johnson shows some potential just not sure I'd get rid of Haralson at this point for a lowly 6th or 7th. I don't take this as a sign of anything against Haralson I just think they are really happy with Lemonier and Skuta. Bengals fans said Skuta was great on ST just don't expect much from him at ILB. I think we did ourselves a favor by making him an OLB. He is more suited for it. Again, we don't want him dropping into coverage much. If they feel confident in those 2 and don't plan on re-signing Haralson after this year then I guess it's ok to get something. I just hope it doesn't bite us in the ass.
Originally posted by valrod33:

Won't Haralson be an unrestricted free agent after the year though? They could extend Iupati and have the new money kick in next year.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by valrod33:

Won't Haralson be an unrestricted free agent after the year though? They could extend Iupati and have the new money kick in next year.

Give Iupati a big portion of his money this year, we got guys like Kaep, Aldon and maybe Crabtree whose money will count towards the cap next year if we re-sign them

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
should just keep him I like having depth at OLB
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Denver will need an OLB for 6 games....

Haha this.
Originally posted by dhp318:

we were also like 10 yards away from losing to the Falcons. Point is, we might have won the SB with some margin to spare if our pass rush had been fresher.

And that could have been anyone; didn't have to be Parys. Replaceability is my point.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM ]
  • dj43

Also, for people that know me, I've followed Parys since he was at Tennessee, so it's not a personal thing at all with me. I love the dude, but every veteran reaches the point where he's replaceable, and PH has reached that point.
In a league that is becoming more and more pass oriented, an OLB in a 3-4 that does not have pass rushing skills is destined to be a part-timer and had better be a good, versatile ST player. Haralson just does not fit into that category very well. If we could get a 5th or even conditional pick for him next season, it would be something to consider. Lemonier appears to be a very good pass rusher and has good speed for ST coverage teams. Skuta was brought in mainly for ST play. So, the question is; is Haralson the next most valuable OLB? Is there an extra player at some other position that would be more valuable than PH at OLB as perhaps the #5?
I believe he is making 1.3 and if we would trade him think the next team would take on his salary. Lemonier is probably making half that on his rookie salary. 600k or so isn't that much to put towards extending guys. We could extend Iupati with the 6.x million we have right now.

Originally posted by btthepunk:

I quoted what I put on the last page.
Share 49ersWebzone