LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 130 users in the forums

Haralson....

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Janitor:
5 picks in the first 3 rounds. Damn.

...and the comp pick may be a 3rd making it 6 picks in first 3 rounds.
Originally posted by valrod33:
From Barrows

The #49ers, who had a whopping 11 picks in this year's draft, already have 11 in next year's with more …

… on the way in compensatory picks. The team's strategy is to keep its best free agents, allow others to walk and then replace them through the draft. That was process this year when the 49ers lost safety Dashon Goldson and replaced him with Eric Reid.
2014 draft picks:
1. First round – own pick
2. Second round – own pick
3. Third round – pick from Kansas City (Alex Smith). Selection could turn into a second-round pick if the Chiefs finish 8-8 or better.
4. Third round – pick from Tennessee. Titans moved up in second round this year to take WR Justin Hunter.
5. Third round – own pick
6. Fourth round – own pick
7. Fifth round – own pick
8. Sixth round – own pick
9. Seventh round – own pick
10. Seventh round – pick from Carolina (2012 Colin Jones trade)
11. Seventh round – pick from New Orleans (Parys Haralson)* *The New Orleans trade is contingent on Haralson making the Saints roster, which he is expected to do. In fact, he could start at outside linebacker.
*The 49ers also are expected to be awarded at least one compensatory pick in the 2014 draft after losing Goldson, Delanie Walker, Isaac Sopoaga, Ricky Jean-Francois and Ted Ginn in free agency.

Originally posted by NCommand:
We all know Fangio doesn't like spelling anyone esp. in the front 7. This year, it sounds like he might be "pushed" a little in this direction. I don't anticipate too many snaps for Lemonier this year but I would imagine, most of them will be to spell Aldon. And vet? Skuta is an experienced vet who has played stellar this pre season at both OLB positions, a little ILB and on ST's. He can bring a pass rush and was pretty stout against the run as well. Again, he won't get too many snaps either.
I disagree with the Skuta assessment. he has rushed the passer and generated sacks. Open field tackling has not been good. Not good enough for a reliable assignment on the field. He needs development there. I will try to post the times on the whomeam mpgs. you will see what i mean.

Maybe Haralson bombed in practice or something and we just didn't see it. Who knows. He looked good in the preseason so far. That's all I can say. And, I think we could have found room for him if we tried.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Janitor:
5 picks in the first 3 rounds. Damn.

...and the comp pick may be a 3rd making it 6 picks in first 3 rounds.

I'm jacked.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
We all know Fangio doesn't like spelling anyone esp. in the front 7. This year, it sounds like he might be "pushed" a little in this direction. I don't anticipate too many snaps for Lemonier this year but I would imagine, most of them will be to spell Aldon. And vet? Skuta is an experienced vet who has played stellar this pre season at both OLB positions, a little ILB and on ST's. He can bring a pass rush and was pretty stout against the run as well. Again, he won't get too many snaps either.
I disagree with the Skuta assessment. he has rushed the passer and generated sacks. Open field tackling has not been good. Not good enough for a reliable assignment on the field. He needs development there. I will try to post the times on the whomeam mpgs. you will see what i mean.

Maybe Haralson bombed in practice or something and we just didn't see it. Who knows. He looked good in the preseason so far. That's all I can say. And, I think we could have found room for him if we tried.

Look up thread at everyone worrying about special teams for another piece of the puzzle as well. When the roster is tight you have to go with guys who supply game day value for being suited up. Especially if its a dead heat in every other regard. Also...not sure how a guy that is a special teams ace can be considered a bad tackler in your eyes? any stats on missed tackles to back that up?
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Aug 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

No worries...I can always go back and focus in on him more as well. That said, he can play both OLB spots, is pretty athletic and can play ILB and is a very good ST player. I said at the beginning of the year that we would be cutting one-dimensional players and I tagged Haralson as one of these guys. He'll have one game where he gets 2 or 3 sacks and then disappears the rest of the year. His best year was when he came in off the bench in pass rush situations but that was a long time ago. He is a good run defender but not as stellar as some think (really struggles with quick backs) and he adds zero coverage ability or ST play. He was a great luxury to have and I wish him the very best (hope he plays great) but this move is more about the upside and development of Lemonier and Johnson (a Fangio favorite) and the versatility of Skuta. We will miss Haralson though esp. for his character and intangibles and for how much he helped the youngsters out and grow into professionals. Class act!
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 27, 2013 at 8:37 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
some of you guys acting like we lost an all pro. lol

I call this the Alex syndrome where fans fall in love with a marginal player.
Originally posted by susweel:
some of you guys acting like we lost an all pro. lol

I call this the Alex syndrome where fans fall in love with a marginal player.

The Lawson-effect.
A 7th is a bargain for the saints. Haralson is a beast against the run, decent in dropping into coverage but cant really get to the qb.

He was probably our best lb against the run. OLB.
I keep going over the post in this thread and I still think that some people aren't getting it.

I still see post about Haralson being "worth" more than a 7. If we could only get a 7, why trade him at all? Insert personal rage description here.

The reason you don't get it and the reason you are pissed is that you are approaching this situation from the wrong direction. You are seeing a decent player on the roster and then trying to figure out what he's worth...to you. Here's the problem...

1) The thoughts on how good Haralson is on this forum is way overblown. He was a solid but not spectacular player. Never was much of a pass rusher. Good run defender. All the stuff I read on here how he could have made a difference last year when Aldon and Justin were hurt? Total BS. Haralson doesn't play 3-4 DE and an injured Aldon was still better than a fully healthy Haralson. When did Haralson become so great a player that people would have so much outrage over this?

2) Lemonier has a future with this team. I keep reading this crap about how we are screwed because we only have a 21 year old backup. LOL. When was that EVER a problem? I didn't see people freaking out when Aldon was the backup to Haralson. Why? Haralson wasn't that good and nobody worried about who the backup OLB was...plus Aldon looked good (as does Lemonier). THIS IS HOW YOU DEVELOP A YOUNG PLAYER. You put him in THIS situation where he's the first guy off the bench. It's obvious the Niners really like Lemonier. I've seen nothing that makes me think they shouldn't. As for the argument that he didn't do anything since week 1, you might want to check the statsheet on week 2. Also, in 3 games he's had 32 rushes and pressured the QB 8 times and had 2 sacks. That ain't bad. Are we screwed because we may have a 21-22 year old STARTING as the #2 TE? Are we screwed because we have a 21-22 year old STARTING at FS?

3) The "worth" argument. A player is only ever "worth" what a team is willing to give up for him. ALL factors have an effect on "worth". In this case, worth was dictated by the skill of the player combined with the knowledge that he would likely be released. Lets pretend we are the Saints. You know a team is going to release a good player at a position you need. Are you going to offer the world? No, you offer the smallest compensation you can offer and hope the team takes it because their other option is nothing. That's what happened. Thats how we got Boldin. It works both ways.

4) The argument that they didn't "have" to release Haralson. Of course this is true, but that doesn't mean it's the wrong decision. Nobody here is saying he's not better than Skuta. At issue is the role Skuta plays compared to Haralson. Skuta plays much more on special teams, is younger, and has position flexibility...IE he can play inside or outside. As a pure OLB, Haralson is the better player. This isn't a vacuum tho. People can't seem to see past that OLB part and realize that more goes into a decision than that. ALOT more. Then it becomes a numbers game. If you keep 5 OLB (effectively a third string player), then where do you cut to keep that many OLBs? WR? RB? Do we lose Anthony Dixon (another special teamer) for Haralson? I've seen the suggestion that we only keep 2 TEs...on a team that plays a 2 TE offense...IE, keep a 3rd string OLB and ZERO backup TEs. That makes no sense to me.

5) Maybe, just maybe....the front office knows what they are doing. I'm not saying nobody should ever question them. I've done my fair share in the past. In this regard tho and at this position...I think we should trust them. They clearly like what they see in Lemonier. I do too for that matter.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 27, 2013 at 8:45 AM ]

so long my friend

I bet the coaches see a lot of potential in Skuta and Lemonier to trade away Haralson ......either way I'm sad to see # 98 go , but I am psyched to see what the new blood brings to the team
  • kray28
  • Veteran
They basically paid the Saints to take Haralson off our hands.

Yay 7th rounder. What a waste. He was valuable depth.
Originally posted by kray28:
They basically paid the Saints to take Haralson off our hands.

Yay 7th rounder. What a waste. He was valuable depth.

uh...a 7th round pick is SOMETHING compared to the NOTHING we'd get otherwise.

Is this just too dificult a concept?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
gotta cut the fat. Aldon and Kaep's contract extensions coming up. some big money.
Share 49ersWebzone