LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 339 users in the forums

Haralson....

Shop 49ers game tickets
WZ acting up
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 27, 2013 at 6:18 AM ]
No idea why we would have cut him if he didn't make the roster. If that was the case then sure nice to get a 7th and save the cap hit but we didn't need the money at all so it shouldn't have been about that. At least not know, maybe we will see an extension for Iupati soon. I hope this isn't one of those things that comes back to bite us like not re-signing Costanzo for dirt cheap because he wasn't versatile enough. Some times we get too cute. I just see no point in cutting him. I like Lemonier but hopefully he is ready to play that 3rd OLB and be ready to start if need be. Well, anyways, one less player we won't be re-signing after this year. Get ready for a youth movement going into the new stadium. We will be saving up and working on extending Iupati, Kap, Aldon and possibly Culliver, Crabtree, Hunter and Miller. Expect most or all of these guys gone: Goodwin, Whitner, Dixon, McCoy, Tolzien, Tukuafu, Dobbs, Manningham, McBath, Hall or Collie, Wright, Osgood. We will probably pick a few of these guys based on best value: K. Williams, Moore, Cox, Brock, Asomugha, Dawson and Boldin.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by bzator84:
A 7th rounds from the Saints really??? Pretty upset about this because that pick is useless if saint don't have a losing record.

I just asked him, and Marques Colston tells me that there are sometimes really good players that can emerge from late in the draft process.

Yep! and with the 7th round 26th pick from the saints the 49ers select some guy that 99.9% would go undrafted. My point its a unjustified pick better to let him sit the bench incase of injuries rather then select someone who would of went un drafted.
Originally posted by bzator84:
Yep! and with the 7th round 26th pick from the saints the 49ers select some guy that 99.9% would go undrafted. My point its a unjustified pick better to let him sit the bench incase of injuries rather then select someone who would of went un drafted.

Agreed, he's only making 1.15 mil so we aren't saving too much. We are 6-7 mil under the cap so we are plenty good with that. My guess is maybe they are putting it towards an extension for Iupati that could be announced soon. We have been working on it for months but they said no big hurry. Maybe we want to front load it and use most of the 8 or so (after haralson) towards Iupati.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 27, 2013 at 6:33 AM ]
I am in the "don't get it" camp when it comes to this trade. Yes, a 7th is better than nothing. But it doesn't seem we got enough value with the trade compared to the value he would have had on the team. Injuries are a complete fluke. We have no reason to think our OLBs will get injured this year, but no reason to think they won't. And we all saw the struggles our D had last year because of injuries.

We obviously weren't resigning Parys, so this difference between his salary and Skuta/Johnson/Lemeonier isn't significant enough to mean we can or can't sign Iupati (or anyone else currently eligible) to an extension.

I just don't buy the "better than nothing" philosophy because if we couldn't get value, it seems to me that there are at least half a dozen other players less valuable to the team we could have released instead of Parys. It's not like we couldn't cut (or trade) him later in the year as players came back from injuries and/or proved themselves if we need the roster spot.

But a 7th rounder who likely won't make the team vs solid depth at a key position doesn't seem like a good trade off. I'd rather have Parys for even part of the season than a 7th rounder.

It's easy to say a 7th can be a Colston, like a 6th can be Brady or a UDFA can be Boone. But those are the anomalies. Just look at our 7th rounders for the past few years:

2009: Curtis Taylor - Did nothing
RJF - Solid player. Good pickup.

2010: Phillip Adams - Did nothing

2011: Bruce Miller - Great pick, But also, FBs rarely get drafted except very late.
Mike Person - Did nothing
Curtis Holcomb - Did nothing

2012: Cam Johnson - Has promise, but has done nothing due to injuries

2013: Carter Bykowski - Has not impressed early
Marcus Cooper - Has not impressed early

So, in the last 5 drafts, picking 8 players, a FB is our only real standout and RJF is the only other player who has shown anything significant at the pro level.
The jury is still our on some picks, but odds are way better than 50/50 that a 7th rounder doesn't make the team or stick for more than a year if he does.

To me, that crap shoot of MAYBE finding a gem in the 7th is not more valuable than a proven backup at a critical position whose roster spot/salary can be purged at any time if needed.

Not to mention the fact that we gave a conference rival, who desperately needed help, exactly the help they needed for practically nothing. This is a team we could easily see in the playoffs and we helped them get better. I would feel a little better about this if Parys went to an AFC team or at least one in the NFC very unlikely to make the playoffs, but I don't see a 7th rounder helping us as much as Parys will help the Saints.
[ Edited by TexasNiner on Aug 27, 2013 at 6:40 AM ]
He wasn't gonna make the team folks. In that case you save yourself the 1.5m and get something in return. This is really smart maneuvering by Baalke, and it's doing right by Haralson putting him on a good team. Win win win though id have liked a bit more compensation.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
how is this hard to figure out?

a guy who was out all last year with injury and has like 11 tackles in the last four years

that is not solid depth that is a maybe he sees the field if three other guys get injured LOL

a guy going to get cut that makes over 1m is tough to swallow oh hey Saints don't have any OLB yo man you need one
just give us whatever and take his contract off our hands ok sounds good thanks

7th round pick means nothing 9ers don't even get the pick if he doesn't make the Saints roster lol
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Glad Haralson is finally gone, never was a fan.
Worst trade so far this off season. Saints got hooked up. We lost quality back up for a 7th round pick. The only thing we gained was cap space for the future.
I wasn't crazy about Haralson but I liked that he was a veteran and looked good in preseason after the injury last year. I keep hearing about our depth and love of Lemonier and what he's shown, but he's still a rook. And is Skuta a better backup than Haralson? Cam Johnson is injured at the moment, so is our depth really that great at OLB?

Finally, a 7th rounder is a joke. Haralson is a starter on most teams and especially after the Saints lost Will Smith, we had leverage. Could've had a 5th probably.

Originally posted by Constantine:
Worst trade so far this off season. Saints got hooked up. We lost quality back up for a 7th round pick. The only thing we gained was cap space for the future.

Many thought the same thing about Aubrayo Franklin! I'm not a fan of the compensation at all and I'm personally happy for Haralson (finally gets to start most likely) but so far, we have a long track record of letting players walk or trading them and it works out best for us. That said, let's wait and see how it all works out in the end and be happy Lemonier and Skuta have come out of nowhere to cease roster spots. And the Cam Johnson "injury" may be another ploy to get him on the PUP list to open up another roster spot...Lord knows we have a full team's worth of awesome players on the PUP/NFI list!
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Constantine:

what makes you think a guy who's going to get cut is quality backup?
Guys, this was more about a 53 limit squeeze than anything else. Haralson doesn't provide STs benefits... so SF felt that lack of versatility, his age, and having younger players with promise made this decision.
Money dump on a guy we were gonna cut anyway. We win. I love how Baalke is saving up some money to roll over for next year when we have to sign Kaep, Aldon, Iupati and maybe Crabs
Originally posted by SoCold:
what makes you think a guy who's going to get cut is quality backup?

Its a numbers game. We have the young guys on the roster now that obviously the coaches feel can handle the backup duties. It doesn't mean Haralson isn't a quality player or that he was certainly going to be cut.
Share 49ersWebzone