There are 272 users in the forums

Pro Bowl Changes

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by xtm059:
pro bowl should decide home field advantage in the super bowl

make it mean something and teams will play to win

So you are saying you want players to throw the game if they don't want thier division rival to be the home team?
Originally posted by xtm059:
pro bowl should decide home field advantage in the super bowl

make it mean something and teams will play to win

the game is played on a neutral field, this idea makes no sense
I think I have a suggestion that will make the Pro Bowl more watchable... not BETTER but WATCHABLE. Since they have moved the draft all the way back to May then they should move the Senior Bowl back, and the combine itself back, and move the Pro Bowl back to being AFTER the Super Bowl. Have the Pro Bowl voting itself just be the Pro Bowl HONORS to keep up with the traditions and contract bonuses that come with it. Now here is where things should pick it up a bit, take the top 25 players or so from college (senior or underclassmen) and have them play in the Pro Bowl along side of the NFL vets. I think this would be awesome on the level that it gives you a slight glimpse of how a guy may look on the next level. So for instance how cool would it be to see Johnny Football out there throwing passes to Josh Gordon and Cam Jordan when he could very much so end up in Cleveland this season. It's not a perfect solution but it gives people a legit reason to watch.
Well, I did like the moving it to after the Super Bowl.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I think I have a suggestion that will make the Pro Bowl more watchable... not BETTER but WATCHABLE. Since they have moved the draft all the way back to May then they should move the Senior Bowl back, and the combine itself back, and move the Pro Bowl back to being AFTER the Super Bowl. Have the Pro Bowl voting itself just be the Pro Bowl HONORS to keep up with the traditions and contract bonuses that come with it. Now here is where things should pick it up a bit, take the top 25 players or so from college (senior or underclassmen) and have them play in the Pro Bowl along side of the NFL vets. I think this would be awesome on the level that it gives you a slight glimpse of how a guy may look on the next level. So for instance how cool would it be to see Johnny Football out there throwing passes to Josh Gordon and Cam Jordan when he could very much so end up in Cleveland this season. It's not a perfect solution but it gives people a legit reason to watch.

Take 25 kids and put them in a game with the best the NFL has to offer...yeah, that'll work.

No potential draft candidate would jeopardize his health and his payday by subjecting himself to that. The risk may be less acute for QBs, but imagine a top OT prospect tearing something and losing his career before it ever begins. Just for a silly, meaningless, try-out game.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
NFL should copy the NBA and do a rookie vs sophomore game.....that would be entertaining in my opinion

I wish they would bring back the QB challenge. Out of all the mini events that was the best. I miss all those events and the way it use to be back when the players wanted to win badly. Use to be a great game, it was my favorite game of the year (besides 9er games), even over the SB.

Originally posted by VinculumJuris:

No potential draft candidate would jeopardize his health and his payday by subjecting himself to that. The risk may be less acute for QBs, but imagine a top OT prospect tearing something and losing his career before it ever begins. Just for a silly, meaningless, try-out game.

When is the last time a guy was seriously injured in the Pro Bowl? Injury isn't a big of a concern as you guys think it is. Most of these guys do things in the off season that could injury them a lot quicker and worse than playing a few series in the pro bowl would. From riding ATV's to playing pick up basketball. Now at the end of the day I know this would never happen but it's a thought to build on none the less.
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:

When is the last time a guy was seriously injured in the Pro Bowl? Injury isn't a big of a concern as you guys think it is. Most of these guys do things in the off season that could injury them a lot quicker and worse than playing a few series in the pro bowl would. From riding ATV's to playing pick up basketball. Now at the end of the day I know this would never happen but it's a thought to build on none the less.

While I admit that the Pro Bowl seems to have a low injury rate, I would not discount the possibility of freak accidents. See injuries sustained by Chris Culliver and Michael Crabtree during practice. The Pro Bowl is definitely physical enough to produce similar results for the unlucky few.
I'm a probowler, I likely have a contract with guaranteed money..even if i get hurt.

I'm a college kid...I've got nothing. I could get hurt and lose my pay day...I might get judged on how I play with the best of the best and get a lower payday...

Tell me again as a college player, why I'd want to do this after doing the combine, senior bowl and/or the shriner bowl? Enough players opt out of the bowls as it is...and even events of the combine.

Originally posted by Jakemall:
I'm a probowler, I likely have a contract with guaranteed money..even if i get hurt.

I'm a college kid...I've got nothing. I could get hurt and lose my pay day...I might get judged on how I play with the best of the best and get a lower payday...

Tell me again as a college player, why I'd want to do this after doing the combine, senior bowl and/or the shriner bowl? Enough players opt out of the bowls as it is...and even events of the combine.

I guess negativity is just the way of the zone. The conversation is about ways to IMPROVE the pro bowl, as in how to make more fans tune in. I understand this is scenario we will never see but for the sake of an entertaining conversation if there were to happen would you guys be more likely to tune into the Pro Bowl? Truth be told even with the Senior Bowl the game is just a formality, most of the scouts are there to see how these guys practice and to get a gage on their character and how they conduct themselves around their peers.

I guess negativity is just the way of the zone. The conversation is about ways to IMPROVE the pro bowl, as in how to make more fans tune in. I understand this is scenario we will never see but for the sake of an entertaining conversation if there were to happen would you guys be more likely to tune into the Pro Bowl? Truth be told even with the Senior Bowl the game is just a formality, most of the scouts are there to see how these guys practice and to get a gage on their character and how they conduct themselves around their peers.

I honestly would be afraid for the Pro Bowl if college kids are playing. They would get slaughtered.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

I honestly would be afraid for the Pro Bowl if college kids are playing. They would get slaughtered.

Yeah, because no rookies had success in REAL games this year. -_- I don't think skill would be an issue, plenty of rookies step in and play at a high level from day 1 in real live games. The Pro Bowl is almost staged these days, I see no reason why a rookie could not come in a make a few plays. All the things that hamper them in the real season (learning the playbook, reading defense/offense, speed of the gam etc.) are thrown out the window. Playing in the Pro Bowl would be like playing in a severly watered down college game.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

I remember playing maybe 1 or 2 QB Club games on my sega? but never played QB challenge. Thanks for sharing so cool. Miss the 90s.
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
NFL should copy the NBA and do a rookie vs sophomore game.....that would be entertaining in my opinion

This would be interesting. The only problem is, there won't be enough rookies and sophomores to field a team.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Jan 27, 2014 at 6:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone