LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 195 users in the forums

49ers acquire Eric Wright, briefly

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Aldon has a recent DUI. Should we get rid of him? People make mistakes. Get over it.

You don't even know what recent means. Aldon DUI was like 18 months ago.

and wright's was 12 months ago

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/166343-used-know-named-eric-wright-smh/
How credible is Jason Cole? Not sure I'm buying his report on Rogers.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Aldon has a recent DUI. Should we get rid of him? People make mistakes. Get over it.

and wright's was 12 months ago

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/166343-used-know-named-eric-wright-smh/
and last Friday.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/07/49ers-knew-about-wrights-arrest-before-trading-for-him.html
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
He'll be 28 in a few days, July 24. You never know what the team has in store for him long term or short...it really matters if he can perform at CB and keep out of trouble. I agree, we'll definitely go CB early in next year's draft and maybe a few of them.

Your right sorry about that. Will edit it. I still stand by my statement and of course I don't know for sure but I just don't see him being apart of our plans for more than a year or two and imo I don't think Asomugha will be around for more than 1-2 years either.

So if Wright makes the team and Rogers stays... Brown, Culliver, Wright/Asomugha/Rogers (not sure how it will fall) that means 5 spots are taken and at best only one more player will make the roster. Could be 0 but if it's 1 then Tramaine Brock, Perish Cox, Marcus Cooper, Daryl Morris are all gunning for one spot. If Cooper and Morris end up on the PS and don't get scooped up they should have a shot at next year's roster with us having so many FA CB's. Brock is the better ST player by far but Cox is the better CB.

And back to Wright I'm a little surprised we are taking him on with 2 DUI arrests and a PED suspension last year but to me it looks like we wanted a vet CB who by the way is only making 1.5 mil and is only signed for 1 year. Low risk and not going to complain about giving up a 7th, we have 2. If it turns out to be a 6th will like it a little less but obviously depends on how he plays. Still, not a whole lot of 6/7th rounders though that can come in and play instantly like Wright will.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jul 19, 2013 at 7:17 PM ]
  • Ether
  • Veteran

Does that change anything? Aldon got stabbed at a house party, took a picture where he was pointing a gun at someone's head and topped it off with a DUI.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
He'll be 28 in a few days, July 24. You never know what the team has in store for him long term or short...it really matters if he can perform at CB and keep out of trouble. I agree, we'll definitely go CB early in next year's draft and maybe a few of them.

Your right sorry about that. Will edit it. I still stand by my statement and of course I don't know for sure but I just don't see him being apart of our plans for more than a year or two and imo I don't think Asomugha will be around for more than 1-2 years either.

So if Wright makes the team and Rogers stays... Brown, Culliver, Wright/Asomugha/Rogers (not sure how it will fall) that means 5 spots are taken and at best only one more player will make the roster. Could be 0 but if it's 1 then Tramaine Brock, Perish Cox, Marcus Cooper, Daryl Morris are all gunning for one spot. If Cooper and Morris end up on the PS and don't get scooped up they should have a shot at next year's roster with us having so many FA CB's. Brock is the better ST player by far but Cox is the better CB.

And back to Wright I'm a little surprised we are taking him on with 2 DUI arrests and a PED suspension last year but to me it looks like we wanted a vet CB who by the way is only making 1.5 mil and is only signed for 1 year. Low risk and not going to complain about giving up a 7th, we have 2. If it turns out to be a 6th will like it a little less but obviously depends on how he plays. Still, not a whole lot of 6/7th rounders though that can come in and play instantly like Wright will.

Hey the more DUI's they have the cheaper they come... kidding lol.

The reason we have more corners than an octagon is to have a real competition for the spot. Once the position is whittled down we have the best of the available options without killing our salary cap. We won't have the best secondary in the league but we will have the best feasible backfield given our options in my opinion.

Off field decisions can be addressed as long as we have a decent talent to mold it's ok. The PED thing about Wright is disappointing especially with the Seahawk's side line pill popping extravaganza but hopefully it's a lesson learned.
nice!
Originally posted by SFrush:
How credible is Jason Cole? Not sure I'm buying his report on Rogers.

I always trust Cole & Silver. They're legit.
Ppl who hate this low risk trade are idiots and need to EAD
Good competition...honestly...asuhgmoa could be just used forbinfonfrom other teams...or like Brandon Jacobs was...who knows but this will be very fun to watch

PEDs?
DUIs?
Now Harbs is starting to see things Pete Carrol's way...
Plus Kap gets a new swag partner to do hats with
Lots of discussion of DUI's for Wright and Aldon.

But while Wright was arrest for DUI last year he was never charged (breath test measured 0.0)

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/07/49ers-knew-about-wrights-arrest-before-trading-for-him.html

Aldon was arrested and charged last, but never convicted. He went into some kind of program the details of which I never saw clearly stated

So neither of them have a DUI conviction on their record from last year
I think this is a great deal. I remember a couple offseasons ago, a lot of people on these forums wanted the 49ers to sign Wright who had been a fairly solid cornerback for Cleveland. A lot like Asomugha, he's a man cornerback that went and struggled in a zone system. Along with that, Tampa Bay had basically no pass rush last year and the rest of the secondary was pretty mediocre as well.

I think the 49ers system fits his strengths far better than Tampa Bay's did and I think he'll be a solid contributor this season.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jul 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM ]
at least hes already a fan

Love the fact we're creating more competition in the secondary, although it is still the weakest unit on the team.

I think next year we're going to see a radically different secondary. So many of our guys are in the last year of their deals, and Rogers might be gone as soon as this summer.

I'm thinking we go corner in the 1st round next off-season to pair with Culliver, as well as draft or sign Whitner's replacement.
Share 49ersWebzone