LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Best receiving tandems of ALL time!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
That's why Montana is over rated. All YAC.

jk
Originally posted by Milkman:

When did we wear these uni's? 1995? I've never seen (don't remember seeing) the combo of the '94 "throw back" pants with the modernized "cardinal" jerseys and modern helmet???

These Jersey's blew. Okay concept. I liked the all whites better.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I'll never forget the Ram game on MNF when JT took two 5 yard slant patterns to house, as I recall both were at least 90 yards.

I was there. Haaa. Rams fans were giving us grief about them being up on us and I says...Well we have Montana, Rice, Taylor, Rathman, Roger the Doger and a "pretty good defense. 5 minutes later Everet fumbles at the Ram 5 or 7, Niners score than kick off, 3 and out and then....the first of Taylor's 90 yard scores..what a game! I remember it like it was 100 years a go!

I was also at SB XXIII too siting on the 15yrd line 40 rows up when JT scored the winner right in front of me..what a rides it's been.. NINERS!!!
Taylor Jacobs and Brian Gilmore
Nolan was in love with them
to and rice>stallworth and swann.

TO is EASILY better than those two scrubs.

those two are the most overrated POS EVER
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Taylor Jacobs and Brian Gilmore
Nolan was in love with them

We had some scrubs!
We're about to get ....

Patton and Jenkins
Moss and Chris Carter -- maybe not as prolific tandem -- but I believed the most feared by any secondary. Still can't understand how the Vikes lost at home to the Falcons in NFCCG
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jul 11, 2013 at 8:29 AM ]
Rice+J.T > Rice+T.O
Originally posted by Hitman49:
Rice+J.T > Rice+T.O

No comparison really...JR+JT ('87-95) had 2 HOF QB's throwing to them, won 3 rings, and were on teams for most of that period that weren't depleted by FA and the cap

JR+TO ('96-'00) had Young whose career was cut short, Rice was hurt in '97, '99 and 2000 were down years teamwise, and Garcia only put up good #'s in Rice's final season of 2000, plus you factor in the FA/cap hits that contributed to the team decline

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
No comparison really...JR+JT ('87-95) had 2 HOF QB's throwing to them, won 3 rings, and were on teams for most of that period that weren't depleted by FA and the cap

JR+TO ('96-'00) had Young whose career was cut short, Rice was hurt in '97, '99 and 2000 were down years teamwise, and Garcia only put up good #'s in Rice's final season of 2000, plus you factor in the FA/cap hits that contributed to the team decline

Not sure where you are going with this, but for the record the Rice/Taylor tandem needs to be ranked higher than the Rice/TO tandem simply because there was a better synergy with Taylor at his prime at the same time as Rice as opposed to the older not as lethal Rice that played with an up and coming TO. This is not a cut & paste of early '90s Rice with early '00s TO, haha.

So beyond defending my favorite all time son of SF, it's just the right choice. Yes, Taylor played on more complete teams with a better QB....but does anyone ever stop and talk about just how underrated Taylor was?

The two 90+ TDs in one game and 286 yards receiving in one game (#3 all time, was #2 until Rice broke it with 289). Scored the only touchdowns against the Giants all of 1990. Has a 97 yard TD against Falcons. Caught a TD pass on Deion from Steve Bono. And constantly a thorn against the Rams, even in '94/'95 down years. All of this with a huge underachieving reputation. Dude was incredible!

As a side note, props to Henry Ellard/Flipper Anderson......always a respected tandem rival that did their thing.

And not sure if Irvin/Harper made the list....very good, and HOF every time they played us.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Jul 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM ]
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Not sure where you are going with this, but for the record the Rice/Taylor tandem needs to be ranked higher than the Rice/TO tandem simply because there was a better synergy with Taylor at his prime at the same time as Rice as opposed to the older not as lethal Rice that played with an up and coming TO. This is not a cut & paste of early '90s Rice with early '00s TO, haha.

So beyond defending my favorite all time son of SF, it's just the right choice. Yes, Taylor played on more complete teams with a better QB....but does anyone ever stop and talk about just how underrated Taylor was?

The two 90+ TDs in one game and 286 yards receiving in one game (#3 all time, was #2 until Rice broke it with 289). Scored the only touchdowns against the Giants all of 1990. Has a 97 yard TD against Falcons. Caught a TD pass on Deion from Steve Bono. And constantly a thorn against the Rams, even in '94/'95 down years. All of this with a huge underachieving reputation. Dude was incredible!

As a side note, props to Henry Ellard/Flipper Anderson......always a respected tandem rival that did their thing.

And not sure if Irvin/Harper made the list....very good, and HOF every time they played us.

think u mistook my intent in stating my opinion regarding what Hitman49 said...wasnt implying that because JT and Rice were in their prime surrounded by more talent that diminishes their accomplishment; or that because older Rice and young TO had more adversity as a duo to overcome what they achieved was more worthy...

at the root of it we are both in agreement that you can't really compare the two duos as they are from two different eras of the NFL/Niner football (albeit transitioning directly into each other) which is what I stated right off the bat
Rice and Taylor. END THREAD.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Rice and Taylor. END THREAD.

freddie soloman and dwight clark were not scrubs!
Quinton Patton and A.J. Jenkins
Share 49ersWebzone