LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

Concussion issues a major concern for Cardinals WR Ryan Swope

Shop 49ers game tickets
And this is why he fell.

Cardinals rookie receiver Ryan Swope has been held out of offseason work because he is still dealing with the effects of concussions he suffered in college, and coach Bruce Arians is concerned about that. "Only guy I am worried about is Swope with his head," Arians said when asked about his rookie class in a conversation with Ian Rapoport of NFL.com, via the Cardinals' website.

Arians said he was "very, very, very surprised" that Swope wasn't cleared to participate in minicamp and Organized Team Activities, and he isn't aware of anything Swope can do, other than hope his concussion symptoms go away with time.

"I'm not sure what he can do, I'm not sure what the doctors are going to do at this point," Arians said. "I hope . . . because the kid is a great talent, and it would be a shame. But having Austin Collie last year going through this same thing, it's scary."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/22/bruce-arians-worried-about-rookie-ryan-swopes-concussions/
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jun 22, 2013 at 1:08 PM ]
That's all they're worried about?
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
He definitely fell because of the concussions. But he also fell because he is a mediocre wide receiver. Nobody in the NFL will game plan for Ryan Swope.
Originally posted by okdkid:
He definitely fell because of the concussions. But he also fell because he is a mediocre wide receiver. Nobody in the NFL will game plan for Ryan Swope.

I actually think he has the potential to be a damn good slot WR, the concussion issues though will probably finish his career before that happens though.
It's also why Niners took Patton over this guy
They should sign austin collie
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
They should sign austin collie

If he checks out medically I'm all for that.
And just like that ....... Done.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000221113/article/ryan-swope-cards-rookie-retires-due-to-concussions

• Antix
  • Veteran
Damn...sucks.

I do feel bad for Swope even though Grant Cohn said he would be a good receiver to draft which lowers his credibility even more. He should go write for the Tards.
Better not to play football than be a walking veggie plate.

Hopefully, he got his college diploma and can get a good job.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
He got a $115,000 signing bonus for simply being drafted, not sure if he pocketed any more cash.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by okdkid:

I actually think he has the potential to be a damn good slot WR, the concussion issues though will probably finish his career before that happens though.

If he didn't retire and the concussions continued, he may have been another case of Jahvid Best... at best

Sorry he had to give up on his dream and wish him the best of luck with his future plans.
[ Edited by LVJay on Jul 26, 2013 at 10:24 PM ]
that sucks man. i wanted to draft him but the concussions worried me.

he should take a year or two off, wish him the best
Share 49ersWebzone