There are 187 users in the forums

Which type of QB (DO You Think) will sustain in the future of the NFL for years to come???

Shop 49ers game tickets

Which type of QB (DO You Think) will sustain in the future of the NFL for years to come???

Originally posted by blm7754:
QBs need to be good QBs first and foremost... being a good runner is just a bonus. So I voted for the "regular pocket passer" option.

HOWEVER.... not classifying Kaepernick as a pocket passer would be a mistake. The dude can make all the throws from the pocket that any of the other QB's mentioned can. His running ability is just another dimension of what defenses have to defend. If you take away the read-option, Kaep will still kill you as a pocket passer.

i agree and think this applies to Wilson and Bob Griffin as well... they're all capable pocket passers , who can run like the wind...
Originally posted by hawker84:
Originally posted by blm7754:
QBs need to be good QBs first and foremost... being a good runner is just a bonus. So I voted for the "regular pocket passer" option.

HOWEVER.... not classifying Kaepernick as a pocket passer would be a mistake. The dude can make all the throws from the pocket that any of the other QB's mentioned can. His running ability is just another dimension of what defenses have to defend. If you take away the read-option, Kaep will still kill you as a pocket passer.

i agree and think this applies to Wilson and Bob Griffin as well... they're all capable pocket passers , who can run like the wind...

All three are extremely skilled passers, but I think to varying degrees they have to curb their instinct to run. Simple willingness to stand in the pocket is an underrated QB trait, especially for mobile QBs. I think Griffin is clearly the worst of the three at this. And I think CK is slightly better at it that Wilson. Hasn't been a problem for Wilson though, because he's the most accurate on the move and has done a good job of avoiding hits.
It's funny cuz this morning on NFL AM...

They posed the question if Kaep could get 4000yds passing and 1000 rushing would u want them too. Damn I cant think of his name, oh yeah Kriegal said yeah, especially if you have the type of QB that can do that. And Davis was like, "NO, I mean Cam ran what close to 800 yards and had like 200 or something carries, and opening Kaep up to that, your really running a risk of hurting your QB."

Now just posted this, cuz it's funny when we talk about the difference between the two.

Aaron Rodgers by far is one of the top 3 QB's in the league we can all agree. Some people say it was sore loser talk, but even he said before the
Super Bowl that this read option running QB thing is just a fad, and the game will come back to the original passing QB.

Not saying IF i agree or disagree, but i mean I too feel that QB's that are experts in this read option will eventually fade out like the wildcat.

And IMHO, I consider Kaep, able to pass from the pocket, and run. But I classify him as a mobile QB that can pass from the pocket. He still had to work on taking some heat off the short to medium game. Reading defenses etc. But when it comes to running. That seems almost like second nature to him. Just my two cents.

In college I def heard he had a strong arm. But even when we picked him, the main thing you heard about was his running yardage in college, and that carring over to the NFL, more than his throwing arm. Even now, yes Kaep has the arm, but the fear many had with his half of the season with us, was the run. To know that yeah he can bomb it when needed too, but dont make the mistake to turn ur head for a second, cuz he can get to the second level fast.

Even now, they just asked the question about running. So thats why i consider him a mobile QB, that can pass.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Kap

The thing about Kap is he can do both. As long as the athletic running QB can do it in the pocket as well it will work. If the QB becomes too much of a runner, then it becomes like Mike Vick was early in his career, where it works for a while, then teams figure it out. If you look at QB's league wide there will most likely be a greater success rate with pure pocket passers for two reasons. 1 they don't take as many hits. Kap has been very lucky to this point. Due to his speed defenders often underestimate how fast he turns the corner, which causes them to take poor angles; therefore he doesn't take direct hits. Once his speed goes he will have to rely on throwing in the pocket more often, but I think that is something that he is capable of, we may even see that transition start some this year. 2. If for nothing else there are more guys in the league who lack the running gifts of a Kap, RGIII, or even Russell Wilson and are forced to stay in the pocket for the sake of survival.

I think it's a combination of the both of them. Look at Luck for example, he is seen as a pocket passer but he put up damn near cam newton numbers at the combine! He can sure run the ball when needed too.RG3 is the opposite, seen as a running qb, he can sure throw in the pocket but runs a lot because of the offensive schame he is in. As much as I would love to see the seahawks fail at everything, Wilson is a damn good quarterback, he isn't a burner like rg3 and not a pocket passer like Luck but he has enough mobility to scramble out of pressure and deliver a pass. And as we all know Kap is fast and can deliver the ball with elway-like velocity. I still think you need to be a pass first qb to succeed in this league but i think the majority of the future pocket passers will be more athletic than ever.
Sept. 1907: I wouldn't worry to much about the forward pass. It's just a passing fad. The defenses have had an entire year to study and learn how to defend it we should see it fade out and will all go back to running the ball as football was meant to be played..
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
It's funny cuz this morning on NFL AM...

They posed the question if Kaep could get 4000yds passing and 1000 rushing would u want them too. Damn I cant think of his name, oh yeah Kriegal said yeah, especially if you have the type of QB that can do that. And Davis was like, "NO, I mean Cam ran what close to 800 yards and had like 200 or something carries, and opening Kaep up to that, your really running a risk of hurting your QB."

Now just posted this, cuz it's funny when we talk about the difference between the two.

Aaron Rodgers by far is one of the top 3 QB's in the league we can all agree. Some people say it was sore loser talk, but even he said before the
Super Bowl that this read option running QB thing is just a fad, and the game will come back to the original passing QB.

Not saying IF i agree or disagree, but i mean I too feel that QB's that are experts in this read option will eventually fade out like the wildcat.

And IMHO, I consider Kaep, able to pass from the pocket, and run. But I classify him as a mobile QB that can pass from the pocket. He still had to work on taking some heat off the short to medium game. Reading defenses etc. But when it comes to running. That seems almost like second nature to him. Just my two cents.

In college I def heard he had a strong arm. But even when we picked him, the main thing you heard about was his running yardage in college, and that carring over to the NFL, more than his throwing arm. Even now, yes Kaep has the arm, but the fear many had with his half of the season with us, was the run. To know that yeah he can bomb it when needed too, but dont make the mistake to turn ur head for a second, cuz he can get to the second level fast.

Even now, they just asked the question about running. So thats why i consider him a mobile QB, that can pass.

So you're really basing your opinion off of what some supposed experts think...

Okay, if you want to go that route, I suppose some would consider it predictable.

Keep in mind that these are the experts who still don't know that the pistol is just a formation.
Originally posted by willtalk:
Sept. 1907: I wouldn't worry to much about the forward pass. It's just a passing fad. The defenses have had an entire year to study and learn how to defend it we should see it fade out and will all go back to running the ball as football was meant to be played..

Nice.

It will be like the WCO. Defenses had no initial answer for ... now they do ... but it is still here. Wildcat was a fad. One trick pony. Mobile QBs are another weapon that ties up another defender and evens the odds some (see option). I must of seen Kap get hit a 100s times (Nevada) and thought they broke him in half. He is far more resilient than meets the eye.

Oh yeah, so I think both are here to stay.
[ Edited by OldJoe on May 15, 2013 at 1:12 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone