There are 249 users in the forums

Which type of QB (DO You Think) will sustain in the future of the NFL for years to come???

Shop 49ers game tickets

Which type of QB (DO You Think) will sustain in the future of the NFL for years to come???

My buddies and I at work were debating which type of QB will sustain in years to come. It's funny because most men that are 32 and older think the old school passing Qb will sustain (Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Flacco, Manning, etc, and those 32 and younger feel that the new scrambling QB will prevail (RG3, Kaep, Wilson)

Both make great arguments, but I wonder which one will. With injuries, not many scrambling first QB's have won the SB. I mean I keep hearing Steve Young, but i dont think Young was on the same level or speed as Wilson, RG3 or Kaep. I personally feel he was a pocket passer that could run. Instead of a running QB that could pass. (just my opinion now)

I mean I personally think that this new class of Wilson, RG3, Kaep, and a few others will just be a sign of the times, like the Wildcat. Not taking anything away from what they bring to the table. Because the likes of finding an RG3, or Kaep, or Wilson, are far and few between.
I just feel that eventually the league will figure out the read option, just like the wildcat a few years ago, and we'll go right back to the foundation of NFL. And thats with the pocket passing QB.

I will say on NFL network, ESPN, etc. They all talk about this subject and im curious as to what some of you think?
Black / Mulatto
They seemed to go toward the mobile, dual threat variety for added offensive power. But guys with little mobility like Brady and Flacco still win the SB. It's only proves one thing -- football is a team game.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on May 3, 2013 at 11:28 AM ]
Kap
I think the entire conversation is flawed.

Even the guys who run the Pistol are very different guys.

Kaep for example will scramble and seldom get hit. RGIII scrambles and stays inbounds to get blasted. Wilson can scramble but three wthe fewest passes among starters in the NFL.

There is always going to be a place for both types of QB. Its like the 4-3 vs the 3-4.....its cyclical. One will be in style for awhile and then the other will be in style.

Same here. People talk about Kaep or RGIII revolutionizing the game but Tarkenton, Young, Cunningham, McNair, McNabb, Vick and many, many others have been doing this for years.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on May 3, 2013 at 11:32 AM ]
You can look at it another way. Running qb can give added pressure on the defense, but the mainstay of every offense is you have to throw the ball to win the bulk of the games during the year. Once in the playoffs, I tend to think everything goes. You do what ever it takes to win the game and into the SB. It's ironic that we are discussing this 'running qb vs. immobile qb', yet Kaep had to throw 4 times trying to get into the end zone trying to win the game.
QBs need to be good QBs first and foremost... being a good runner is just a bonus. So I voted for the "regular pocket passer" option.

HOWEVER.... not classifying Kaepernick as a pocket passer would be a mistake. The dude can make all the throws from the pocket that any of the other QB's mentioned can. His running ability is just another dimension of what defenses have to defend. If you take away the read-option, Kaep will still kill you as a pocket passer.
It will always come back to pocket passers. This option stuff is nice but defenses are too fast and will eventually learn to contain it. The only way the option can be effective at this level is if you are just as dangerous passing (which Kaep, Wilson, RG3 are) so I think those guys will be ok. You cant predicate a whole system based off the option though. Its a complement at this level.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
You can look at it another way. Running qb can give added pressure on the defense, but the mainstay of every offense is you have to throw the ball to win the bulk of the games during the year. Once in the playoffs, I tend to think everything goes. You do what ever it takes to win the game and into the SB. It's ironic that we are discussing this 'running qb vs. immobile qb', yet Kaep had to throw 4 times trying to get into the end zone trying to win the game.

This.

If you can't find a guy like Kap or Russell Wilson who's just as good passing as running. Then I'd go for the pocket passer every time rather than a great runner who's a mediocre passer.
Also.... If guys like Kap, Wilson, RG3 end up getting injured from running and putting their team in jeopardy you'll see teams hold back from pushing a game-plan that requires the QB to run.

I agree with everybody. Kap is more fun to watch running than anyone I have seen....BUT....my heart stops once he takes off and looks for a CB to level. That kind of QB is one with a very limited NFL(not for long) career. Coach H got on Kap last yr about trying to run over LBs and CBs instead of taking a knee or going OOB. I think he gets it, but if not, he can always look what running has resulted in for RG3, and worse, the SKINs who traded 3 firsts for the guy. Shanny either has to get him to keep it in his pants or Rbt Griffin is going to be a 16 month wonder. Skins now have to go back and completely redo their gameplan, which is going to include about 95% less running by RG3. Kap is in the same boat, but , thank God, he has NOT has his knees blown out. If he keeps taking on LBs and CBs, and doesn't take a knee, then he will devastate this franchise also ultimately.

Here's the good news. Coach Harbaugh has been over this enough with Colin so that our QB understands the consequence of him going down...NO SB...and a very short career for him. However, because of the NFL's notes on Kap from last yr, they all KNOW what he can do, and it will give every team pause. So DEs may not crash in, rather just hold their ground and see what Kap is going to do. This will give Kap a second or two extra to find one of his 8 WRs and 4 TEs, plus LMJ and frank. I think Kaps mad dashes are pretty much a thing of the past...for a daily diet. But he will continue to outfox Ds when noboby is open(hopefully that won't happen this yr with all his goodies), and may take off on occasion, but with a no contact run in mind. So he may become a great pocket passer who can do some Russell Wilson scrambling when he has to. But gone are the days of designated run plays for Kap, as in up the middle, taking on NTs and such. The RG3 lesson came in a timely fashion for the 9ers and Kap. He must never forget the downside to those designated runs.
In the long run a packet-passer w/running ability will shine. Still a passing league and w/an effective OLine a QB's longevity will be improved.

Just the threat alone, like Kap, of a QB who can fly will cause problems in game planning and schemes - which will open up more opportunities for te offense.
Pocket passing will always reign supreme. Scrambling ability is an added luxury.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Kaepernick and RG3 would be solid quarterbacks even without their athleticism. They have the convenience of being running threats which makes passing easier for them. They are nothing like the Tim Tebow/Cam Newton type of quarterback. Those two are fullbacks who can throw a football, not quarterbacks who can run when needed.
Let's go ahead and revisit this thread after we win the SB
Share 49ersWebzone