There are 223 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
I think we talk about it because it hits on an interesting question -- how hard is it really, given the right physical tools, to play the game of american professional football? Does it really take years and years of study and play, or, if you happen to be 6'6" and 300 athletically gifted pounds, can you take a crash course and find a way to contribute? We all know that the modern game is complicated with its own vernacular, schemes, plays, assignments, technique -- but can a smart guy with great physical tools figure this out in a season or two?

I think it's fascinating.
Originally posted by Existence:
I think we talk about it because it hits on an interesting question -- how hard is it really, given the right physical tools, to play the game of american professional football? Does it really take years and years of study and play, or, if you happen to be 6'6" and 300 athletically gifted pounds, can you take a crash course and find a way to contribute? We all know that the modern game is complicated with its own vernacular, schemes, plays, assignments, technique -- but can a smart guy with great physical tools figure this out in a season or two?

Me too!
Originally posted by SofaKing:
The thing he needs most is TIME. Time to develop. I don't think it's very realistic for him to crack the 53 this year. He's been playing football for less than 12 months. He needs 1 more year on the practice squad, then see if he can make the 53-man roster in 2015.

I've always thought three years. We'll see in camp.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Me too!

Me three. I'm rooting for the guy.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Me too!

Me three.
Originally posted by susweel:
lol this scrub has a 83 page thread.

best post of the day
Will be in the first wave of cuts
Originally posted by wailers15:

Heard all that last year.
Brock Lesnar was a freak of nature, but wasn't fast enough. Let's hope Okoye is athletic enough to make a positive impression to make this whole experiment worthwhile.
Originally posted by Team49ers:
Brock Lesnar was a freak of nature, but wasn't fast enough. Let's hope Okoye is athletic enough to make a positive impression to make this whole experiment worthwhile.

thats actually an excellent example. i bet not many remember him trying to make the vikings.

Originally posted by crabman82:

thats actually an excellent example. i bet not many remember him trying to make the vikings.

Okoye's transition is probably similar. I think he's an even better athlete than Lesnar was. Don't remember if Lesnar had any football experience either, I think he was a star wrestler in college. It basically comes down to instincts and developing functional football skills. Lesnar couldn't do it, maybe Okoye can. It's a long shot, but worth finding out.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by wailers15:

Heard all that last year.

English

wailer
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
The thing he needs most is TIME. Time to develop. I don't think it's very realistic for him to crack the 53 this year. He's been playing football for less than 12 months. He needs 1 more year on the practice squad, then see if he can make the 53-man roster in 2015.

I've always thought three years. We'll see in camp.

Agreed. Hoping to see some improvement this preseason and then hopefully he is pushing for a roster spot next year. We will see
I hope he earns a practice squad spot and then denies the other teams that try to poach him so he can compete for a roster spot in 2015.
Originally posted by crabman82:

Lesnar was also approx. 34 years old at the time. Not worth the time to develop for a team

It takes skill and athleticism to succeed in the NFL. Skill takes time to develop.

Okoye has the time. 49ers are willing to invest in developing his skills
l
Lesnar is not a good comparison
[ Edited by Tigerlaw on May 2, 2014 at 11:54 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone