There are 160 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Gore_21:
So out of 4 real plays 1 of them he got drove back 5 yards by a double team. The other 3 not a factor. Thought he would get more snaps but we will see if he improves throughout the offseason because if he doesn't he will be cut and head to the PS unless someone claims him.

We don't have to worry about anyone claiming him
Originally posted by smithgdwg:

Suppose we burn a roster spot for Okoye. Will he learn faster/train better on PS or "on" the team?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Suppose we burn a roster spot for Okoye. Will he learn faster/train better on PS or "on" the team?

Most definitely the practice squad. This guy needs every waking minute developing his football skills. He doesn't need to waste his time traveling with the team and standing on the sidelines.
Most definitely the practice squad. This guy needs every waking minute developing his football skills. He doesn't need to waste his time traveling with the team and standing on the sidelines.

Sure. I get that. Very good point and perspective.

But when the team travels won't he lose access to Tomsula?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Sure. I get that. Very good point and perspective.

But when the team travels won't he lose access to Tomsula?

The niners take their PS with them on the road
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 59s 49ers DL Lawrence Okoye played six defensive snaps, including two kneeldowns at the end. As expected, had difficult time finding the ball.

Finding the ball will be the toughest thing for him to do. As for sacking Alex, thats not saying much since Alex sacks himself.

To be fair in rugby the ball's white and pretty visible, will be harder for him to track it in NFL.
  • mod
  • Veteran
This makes sense... I didnt start playin football till my varsity year, the hardest part for me playing on D-line was definitely finding the ball. So much confusion and action. I can only imagine what this dude is feeling at NFL speed. The truth is its gonna take some time for it to slow down for him.
We're too stacked to burn a roster spot for Okoye, he's heading to the PS.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ParkingLotPimpin:

Einstein's grandson
Originally posted by 5280High:
We're too stacked to burn a roster spot for Okoye, he's heading to the PS.

I think he'd be lucky to make the PS. He hasn't even reached "bad football player" status yet and you don't waste spots on the PS for bad players. Last night he looked like he was wearing roller skates.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mod:
This makes sense... I didnt start playin football till my varsity year, the hardest part for me playing on D-line was definitely finding the ball. So much confusion and action. I can only imagine what this dude is feeling at NFL speed. The truth is its gonna take some time for it to slow down for him.

Well besides locating the ball at least try and beat your defender first....ask me if he did that??
Why not play this guy all game long? When Dorsey and Divens first came in, they both got blown off the ball at first. But once they got their feet set, blood flowing, they started to play much better with better leverage, technique and awareness. Use pre season for what it's good for...to truly evaluate your talent-level. 4 plays isn't enough to tell one anything (unless they want to keep him low profile). But for DE, we have two PUP's in Carradine/Dial and Dobbs will make this 53 easy. After that? Give this man Jenkins-like snaps and lets see if he gets better and better and better as the game progresses.
My thoughts:

Originally posted by NCommand:
Why not play this guy all game long? When Dorsey and Divens first came in, they both got blown off the ball at first. But once they got their feet set, blood flowing, they started to play much better with better leverage, technique and awareness. Use pre season for what it's good for...to truly evaluate your talent-level. 4 plays isn't enough to tell one anything (unless they want to keep him low profile). But for DE, we have two PUP's in Carradine/Dial and Dobbs will make this 53 easy. After that? Give this man Jenkins-like snaps and lets see if he gets better and better and better as the game progresses.

He'll get this opportunity in the 4th preseason game. We also need to give the 2nd and 3rd stringers ahead of him some snaps as well..
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by NCommand:

He'll get this opportunity in the 4th preseason game. We also need to give the 2nd and 3rd stringers ahead of him some snaps as well..

They're probably easing in him. He might get shell shocked if all of a sudden he plays 60 snaps and gets destroyed. Slowly give him what he can handle and build his confidence.
Share 49ersWebzone