LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I suppose we could risk putting him on PS, if he fully agrees to it and convinces everyone else that it's pointless to pick him up because he will refuse any contract offer.

He can do that, right?

we would have to waive him first. any team would then have a chance to claim him before we could sign him to the PS.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
This isn't some guy off the street, this is one of the world's premiere athletes. Sure in all likelihood, he'll stink, but in the unlikely event he's a very quick learner and impresses, we're going to have to make a tough decision and possibly make room for him. Like I said, this discussion is meaningless until we see and read about his body of work over the next 4 weeks.

amp, you feeling better today? you said yesterday you were in a pissy mood. did you go out and buy yourself something like I told you to do?
Originally posted by boast:
I suppose we could risk putting him on PS, if he fully agrees to it and convinces everyone else that it's pointless to pick him up because he will refuse any contract offer.

He can do that, right?

we would have to waive him first. any team would then have a chance to claim him before we could sign him to the PS.

I'm sure someone has mentioned this somewhere in this thread of epic awesomeness, but it's actually smarter for the 49ers to not showcase Okoye much if at all. If he flashes football ability in the pre-season, someone MIGHT be willing to take a chance on developing him. But if he stays on the sidelines and there's little-to-no tape on the guy, we can waive him with almost zero chance that a team would be willing to keep him on their 53-man roster.

Hell, even if he shows some ability he's not likely to be claimed, but there's always that chance. IMO, he's better off sitting out pre-season games, landing on our PS and working with this team in preparation for next year.

What I am suggesting is that if he or his agent publicly states that he won't sign any contract for whatever amount for anyone but SF, then no one will claim him off waivers because they will not get a contract signed. So that way, he will clear and we can put him on PS. My question: is that even legal? Can a player do that and still be within CBA?
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AmpLee:
This isn't some guy off the street, this is one of the world's premiere athletes. Sure in all likelihood, he'll stink, but in the unlikely event he's a very quick learner and impresses, we're going to have to make a tough decision and possibly make room for him. Like I said, this discussion is meaningless until we see and read about his body of work over the next 4 weeks.

Yeah, we won't know for sure for a couple weeks. There have been hundreds of freakish athletes that have come through training camps over the years though. The reality is the 49ers are going to cut 30 players over the next 4 weeks who may not be as physically gifted as Okoye, but are probably all better football players (at this point).
[ Edited by Disp on Aug 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM ]

What I am suggesting is that if he or his agent publicly states that he won't sign any contract for whatever amount for anyone but SF, then no one will claim him off waivers because they will not get a contract signed. So that way, he will clear and we can put him on PS. My question: is that even legal? Can a player do that and still be within CBA?

Not possible. If he's claimed, the new team assumes his already signed contract. If he clears waivers, he can sign with us or anyone else of course....but if he's claimed, he's gone.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Not possible. If he's claimed, the new team assumes his already signed contract. If he clears waivers, he can sign with us or anyone else of course....but if he's claimed, he's gone.

OK, thanks. How did things work out last year with Lockette? I thought he turned down offered contracts to stay on our ps. No?

I don't think any team is going to add him to the active roster. I think there's a more than decent chance he ends up on the Niners' PS.
  • Garce
  • Veteran

If he is claimed, he must go to the team that claims him
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

OK, thanks. How did things work out last year with Lockette? I thought he turned down offered contracts to stay on our ps. No?

He was cut from Seattle, which allowed us to put him on our PS. At that point, a guy can choose to stay on a PS or take a roster spot on someone else's team. But they key is clearing waivers....that essentially gives the player free agency status.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM ]

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/08/07/lawrence-okoye-qa-im-enjoying-being-a-bad-football-player/
first snap on defense = sack
Originally posted by socalniner:

first player ever to record 2 sacks on one play
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

after one game, he will set the all time sack record and is first ballot hall of fame
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

after one game, he will set the all time sack record and is first ballot hall of fame

Will sack and rupture the space time continuum...super bowl XLVII erased from history
Share 49ersWebzone