LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by buck:
He has lasted longer than some predicted.

I am looking forward to seeing him play in a preseason game.

i dont know why people dont like preseason, its awesome you get to see what the backups can do in a game, cant wait.

Not just backups. I think seeing the rooks is the most exciting part of it.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by buck:
He has lasted longer than some predicted.

I am looking forward to seeing him play in a preseason game.

i dont know why people dont like preseason, its awesome you get to see what the backups can do in a game, cant wait.

Preseason is awesome because we've been looking soooo forward to the season that it's really the first legit football we get to see. And to the experienced eye, you can really see a lot. The score, however, is about the least important thing in preseason.

not if your a Raider fan, here comes their playoffs
Teach this man agility in football and he will be unstopable. Okoye... you will be a superstar... lol
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/lawrence-okoye-49ers-hitting-blocking-shield-with-face-photos/
Originally posted by jimrat:
http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/lawrence-okoye-49ers-hitting-blocking-shield-with-face-photos/

Interesting link, thanks.

What is Tomsula going for? Look at those wings. Hope it all works out.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Toughness and better angles. Look at the first couple picks, his head is still pretty high therefore he's not exploding out enough, with his giant legs he's gotta basically get his arms and head almost the same level when exploding into a lineman or else he will get out leveraged.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Toughness and better angles. Look at the first couple picks, his head is still pretty high therefore he's not exploding out enough, with his giant legs he's gotta basically get his arms and head almost the same level when exploding into a lineman or else he will get out leveraged.

OK, thanks. It looks like the kid is focused on trying to get somewhere. That seems like a good sign.

Yeah, seems like he's trying to toughen him up. My first thoughts on him even before we signed him were this guy is probably soft. He has no idea what playing in the NFL will be like and it seems to be correct with him saying it's been the hardest thing he's had to do so far. And that's before even playing a game; heck he said that before training camp began. There are lots of guys out there with big bodies, even some who are mostly muscle who are soft. Like 5280 said even with those huge thighs if he's not low enough when the ball is snapped he will just get stood up even if the guy is a lot lighter. It's all about leverage. He will have to learn leverage, he will have to learn technique, he will have to learn how to play the run and how to diagnose a play and he will have to learn to use his strength to his advantage and get more physical. I hope he works out and I won't write him off but my first thought when signing him was he isn't worth the trouble.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 3, 2013 at 9:53 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran

I haven't wrote this guy off yet and I really don't want to. He seems like he really wants it, hopefully he gets there...
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Yeah, seems like he's trying to toughen him up. My first thoughts on him even before we signed him were this guy is probably soft. He has no idea what playing in the NFL will be like and it seems to be correct with him saying it's been the hardest thing he's had to do so far. And that's before even playing a game; heck he said that before training camp began. There are lots of guys out there with big bodies, even some who are mostly muscle who are soft. Like 5280 said even with those huge thighs if he's not low enough when the ball is snapped he will just get stood up even if the guy is a lot lighter. It's all about leverage. He will have to learn leverage, he will have to learn technique, he will have to learn how to play the run and how to diagnose a play and he will have to learn to use his strength to his advantage and get more physical. I hope he works out and I won't write him off but my first thought when signing him was he isn't worth the trouble.

very true....there is a lot to learn. I think why Okoye pick the 49ers was because of Tomsula. He knows that Tomsula is the best Dline coach and the only one who can give him a chance at actually succeeding and being great in the NFL. I love our coaching staff...so many coaches who all deserve to be promoted to a higher coaching level

Great link. Thanks.
  • buck
  • Veteran

A face that could sink a ship.

My concern about Okyoe was the brutality and the velocity of the hitting. To me, this looks like it's Tomsula's concern as well and it also looks like Okyoe is stepping up to the plate like a real trooper. It will be a real coup if this guy turns into a legitimate player because he is really a beast.
Our concerns should all rest with the guys we spent draft picks on. He's a UFA signing,....nothing risked.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
My concern about Okyoe was the brutality and the velocity of the hitting. To me, this looks like it's Tomsula's concern as well and it also looks like Okyoe is stepping up to the plate like a real trooper. It will be a real coup if this guy turns into a legitimate player because he is really a beast.

I recall my HS line coach teaching us to keep our eyes open, and pee wee coaches likely do as well--though I didn't play as a youngster. That's how much the poor guy has to catch up! The very basics of the position...even getting use to the helmet! My guess is that he will be on the practice squad and spend the year learning the nuances...then next camp he will have a real chance to compete. Nice that they are willing to spend the effort on a talented guy...and is a good influence for the other DL as they watch him suffer stoically.
Share 49ersWebzone