LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by bdub2588:
Right. He was a Rugby player, and technically Football originated from Rugby, so there shouldn't be such an unsurmountable disconnect. In theory that is..

I watch some rugby games where I am and the players are in great shape. Everyone has a flat stomach not like the fat front seven of the Baltimore Ravens. Sorry, the game is still on my mind.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I remember a Wrestling Champ tried to make it with the Vikings during training camp a few years back. I'm sure somebody out there knows who I'm talking about. I go along with PrimeTime, the Seahawks will take him in an instant if the Niners cut him. I've watched him on Youtube, he's a beast.

You've watched him do what on Youtube??

When I watch Okoye on 49ers.com doing drills he just doesn't look right. Its gonna be a long road for him not having football experience. IMO I think he should have tried to go to college for a year or two and walk-on to a team.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
^^^Still not buying it and I was talking about individual drills. I don't believe anything MM says anymore, all his reports this off-season were terrible, I think Barrows is a more credible source. But its gonna be different once the pads come on, will he be locked up one-on-one by a blocker, can he play with leverage, how difficult will it be to pick up an NFL playbook. Dude will be a beast if he can put it all together, but I think he should've went the college route since hes still young.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I remember a Wrestling Champ tried to make it with the Vikings during training camp a few years back. I'm sure somebody out there knows who I'm talking about. I go along with PrimeTime, the Seahawks will take him in an instant if the Niners cut him. I've watched him on Youtube, he's a beast.

Dude did well when he went to MMA (wrestling and MMA has a lot in common). Okoye did olympics/played Rugby... totally different from American football but a couple of things can relate to football and the position(s) he'll play. I'm not saying he'll do better, but I'm just hoping he pans out.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LVJay:

Dude did well when he went to MMA (wrestling and MMA has a lot in common). Okoye did olympics/played Rugby... totally different from American football but a couple of things can relate to football and the position(s) he'll play. I'm not saying he'll do better, but I'm just hoping he pans out.

What do you think can transition from rugby to football at the DE position?? I can see if he was playing TE but DE I just don't see it.
i am pulling for this dude
Originally posted by MILFS:

I am too but the transition time is likely to be 2 years, maybe more.

Practise squad. And nobody is going to snatch him.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by MILFS:

I am too but the transition time is likely to be 2 years, maybe more.

Practise squad. And nobody is going to snatch him.

He's deferred at Oxford to study Law. He qualified for the Olympics in discus after two years of training.

He'll be active before the second ends.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by LVJay:

What do you think can transition from rugby to football at the DE position?? I can see if he was playing TE but DE I just don't see it.

Well for starters, since Brock was brought into the discussion, I had to think that Okoye has an upper hand and can grasp it (if at all) sooner than Brock would've if they entered at the same time.

Brock/wrestling is physical, football is physical, but way different... Brock took his skills to MMA which worked well for him because they do a lot of ground work/fighting to begin with in both sports.

Rugby may not have much (or anything at all) to do with him transitioning well to his position/football, but one thing is for sure, they are both team sports and they remain upright instead of getting down and dirty on the floor wearing tights

Also, his olympic (workouts) experience gives him another edge...
"What's already evident is that Okoye has a gift for getting off the line of scrimmage quickly. That is, the explosion needed by a discus thrower translates to bursting off the line of scrimmage as a defensive lineman. He also tried a spin move that was absurdly good for someone his size who just began practicing football on Friday. What also stands out, however, is that Okoye has long - very long - legs. In fact, the only 49er who can compare in leg length is Alex Boone. The challenge for Okoye and mentor Jim Tomsula will be combining his quickness and innate athletic ability with an understanding of leverage."
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/05/kaepernick-watches-bj-daniels-shine-baalke-observes-okoye-in-action.html

I'm not saying that his rugby and/or olympic type workouts will help him transition immensly, but the athleticism he gained from those sports and his natural ability (dude's body is freakish) gives him (at least) a slight edge over a "Wrestling Champ" .

Also, the fact that this Englishman was accepted at Oxford to study Law tells me that he could learn the playbook (maybe even pretty quick) if he lands a spot on the team.
Can you imagine the damage that Okoye could do if the headslap was still legal?

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Can you imagine the damage that Okoye could do if the headslap was still legal?

Well, then he would've been the reason to make it illegal, I would imagine...

But if he does that all game to someone's body/arm, like (get the heck out of my way), that o-lineman he'd go against could get sore by the end of the first quarter... breaking him down to ineffectiveness--resulting in giving up sacks
Lesnar may have made it if he was willing to stick it out. He got cut from the Vikings but they offered him a spot in NFL Europe which he declined and gave up. I think Okoye is a long shot to make the team but perhaps he makes the practice squad and we try to develop him over time.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Lesnar may have made it if he was willing to stick it out. He got cut from the Vikings but they offered him a spot in NFL Europe which he declined and gave up. I think Okoye is a long shot to make the team but perhaps he makes the practice squad and we try to develop him over time.

Lesnar is smaller and less athletic than Okoye. I don't see the comparison.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

Brock weighed in at pounds 283 pounds, ran a 4.65 40 time, 35 inch vertical, long jump of 10 feet and benched 225 pounds 30 times.

He's a freak, and the point about Brock is it's quite the uphill battle and if Okoye isn't committed long term it won't work out. Not really comparing attributes but you have to wonder if Okoye will keep on trying if he gets cut. He's got other options.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

Brock weighed in at pounds 283 pounds, ran a 4.65 40 time, 35 inch vertical, long jump of 10 feet and benched 225 pounds 30 times.

He's a freak, and the point about Brock is it's quite the uphill battle and if Okoye isn't committed long term it won't work out. Not really comparing attributes but you have to wonder if Okoye will keep on trying if he gets cut. He's got other options.

Those are legit numbers I stand corrected.
Share 49ersWebzone