There are 227 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by crabman82:
cant wait to bump this thread in 3 years when he is a nobody again.

It looks like he has drive and intelligence, he might end up being a nobody in American Football, but a deffered place to study Law at Oxford isn't exactly a bad fall back option
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
He is going to throw Russell Wilson for a world's record.

That would be funny if he makes the team, guy has an olympic flashback moment just as he grabs Wilson with one arm, spins and throws like discuss for 15 feet, Caroll's mouth drops open, then he yells penalty penalty, ref-sorry coach, the whistle did not blow and nothing in the rule book about discuss throw tackling being illegal.
Tackling and leverage will not be a problem for him because rugby is a like football but without pads. The problem is reading and recognizng OL schemes and line movement. Like what does it when if DE a TE moves in front/away from you. DT when they come at you two or one blocker and how on traps, low blocks. How to read OL body language to get a tip off if they are run blocking or pass protecting, screen or sweeps. Learning not to over persue.
Originally posted by daragon:
Its like some of you are offended that people are excited about this guy. Haha. Some of us are just interested to see what happens, that's all. We understand the odds, but the entertainment value is high on this.

Agreed. I'll admit I'm excited to see what this guy can do. I completely understand its the longest of long shots. But untill the cold reality of training camp comes and slaps me in the face I'm gonna be wearing my rose colored glasses of optimism.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Tackling and leverage will not be a problem for him because rugby is a like football but without pads. The problem is reading and recognizng OL schemes and line movement. Like what does it when if DE a TE moves in front/away from you. DT when they come at you two or one blocker and how on traps, low blocks. How to read OL body language to get a tip off if they are run blocking or pass protecting, screen or sweeps. Learning not to over persue.

And making the right move instinctively. That takes time, good thing he has it.
Originally posted by crabman82:
cant wait to bump this thread in 3 years when he is a nobody again.

A nobody attending Oxford Law School
I'm a gambler - what the heck.

We really don't have anything to lose. I do trust Baalke/JH - so there has to be something there.
How does his combine numbers compare to some of the 1st round DE from the draft?
not expecting much, but its hard not to be excited about a guy with his attributes being coached from the start by our coaches
[ Edited by RonMexico on May 2, 2013 at 2:57 PM ]
I think this has been posted already + link. See #157.

Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
not expecting much, but its hard not to be excited about a guy with his attributes being couched from the start by our coaches

Like a casting couch?

LMAO

wtf did I type
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Lawrence Okoye ‏@Okoye

Heading out to rookie minicamp on Thursday - can't wait #Niners
Anyway so yeah dunno if its been discussed but, he should be our jumbo set TE/FB, yes? And He's athletic enough to be moved around, stand up and play lb occasionally as one Justin Smith, no? If he became Justin Smith's replacement, I think then Carradine would be actually replacing RayMac. Unless we switch to some four down alignment and/or if Carradine proves to be OLB worthy.
But yeah, imagine a Brandon Jacobs/ Leron McClain +40 lbs type of runner(not as innately adept of runner but close), that could catch well enough to be moved around like a TE in multiple sets. Even though he's more powerful than most OL.. Imagine an end around, double reverse that results in Lawrence chucking a 70+ yard bomb to a streaking (no, not like as in Old School type of streaking) player down the sideline.. Imagine, in that same game he gets a TFL or a sack AND a blocked fg.. Like in the words of the great John Lennon, "it's easy if you try.".
No doubt in my mind Okoye rips up the league, in multiple ways, not unlike a couple of our new young additions.
[ Edited by bdub2588 on May 11, 2013 at 12:32 PM ]
Whether he makes the team or not his presence during training camp will put the fear of God in some folks..
Originally posted by almondJoy:
Whether he makes the team or not his presence during training camp will put the fear of God in some folks..

I think he might put the fear in God. Friendly pun intended.
Share 49ersWebzone