LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Lawrence Okoye ‏@Okoye

I am now officially a #49er! pic.twitter.com/CR2ihvMaXH

Why are the office's walls and carpet blue?

because hes in georgia and the contract was faxed
Originally posted by theduke85:
What protection do teams have for their practice squad players? I know another team can snatch them up, but does the team they're on have any sort of leverage? Like, let's say the Falcons come knocking and say, "hey, Okoye, you're signing with us." Can the 49ers step in, put Okoye on their 53-man roster and 'block' this move? Or is there minimal/zero protection for a player on your squad?

There isn't any real protection, but players can choose to stay on the PS with their team. Just because another team is interested doesn't mean that the player will leave. Most players do because being on the active roster usually plays better and they have a better chance of getting game experience but not all players leave. I believe a few of our PS players had interest from other teams but decided to stay with the Niners.
What protection do teams have for their practice squad players? I know another team can snatch them up, but does the team they're on have any sort of leverage? Like, let's say the Falcons come knocking and say, "hey, Okoye, you're signing with us." Can the 49ers step in, put Okoye on their 53-man roster and 'block' this move? Or is there minimal/zero protection for a player on your squad?

The way I understand it, the team that pick him up from our PS has to put him on their active roster. Being that he's so inexperience, I don't see that happening. And I think he has the rights to refuse and remain with the Niners as a PS player. Some one google the info. I want to know for sure too.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

The way I understand it, the team that pick him up from our PS has to put him on their active roster. Being that he's so inexperience, I don't see that happening. And I think he has the rights to refuse and remain with the Niners as a PS player. Some one google the info. I want to know for sure too.

This, any team that wants him needs to create a roster spot for him... not gonna happen with zero experience. He also can choose to stay in SF and refuse to move to another teams active roster. Ricardo Lockette refused multiple teams offers last year to stay on SF's practice squad.
Originally posted by 5280High:

This, any team that wants him needs to create a roster spot for him... not gonna happen with zero experience. He also can choose to stay in SF and refuse to move to another teams active roster. Ricardo Lockette refused multiple teams offers last year to stay on SF's practice squad.
Exactly. He can join any other team's active roster if they want to make room for him, which isn't going to happen anytime soon. Plus, it's in his best interest to stay on the PS for a year or two, learn the game and ideally learn a team's system first before he gets on anyone's active roster.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
lol

I don't see this guys succeeding in the NFL. He's going up against some of the best athletes at any position, and they have been playing football for most of their adult life. But good luck to him all the same.

"BYU defensive end Ezekiel Ansah and SMU defensive end Margus Hunt each have limited football background, but their physical tools are unbelievable, and both will be working toward a starting role in the NFL courtesy of first- and second-round selections, respectively."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1621673-lawrence-okoyes-rookie-projections-with-san-francisco-49ers

Right, I understand that. But let's say a year from now Okoye shows decent progress. Not enough progress to make a team like the Niners with a huge amount of depth, but enough progress to warrant a spot on one of the worst teams in the league that is hoping to strike it big. That doesn't seem implausible at all to me. I guess what I'm saying is, I wonder how good of a fit a "project" like Okoye really is for the Niners. Seems like they could put a lot of training and time into him, and then have him slip away to someone else willing to take more of a risk on their 53-man roster.

Right, I understand that. But let's say a year from now Okoye shows decent progress. Not enough progress to make a team like the Niners with a huge amount of depth, but enough progress to warrant a spot on one of the worst teams in the league that is hoping to strike it big. That doesn't seem implausible at all to me. I guess what I'm saying is, I wonder how good of a fit a "project" like Okoye really is for the Niners. Seems like they could put a lot of training and time into him, and then have him slip away to someone else willing to take more of a risk on their 53-man roster.

While that is possible, its unlikely. Okoye will for sure stay on the PS for year 1, but lets say he does start to develop... our coaching staff will be first to know. Similar to when Alex Boone spent a year on the PS, showed improvement during the next preseason and the niners made a spot for him on the roster because they knew he would get poached.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
dude better come in and shut his mouth and work

no player who has dedicated their entire life to this game will respect this guy. he has to prove it. you have players who have played since they were little, dedicated their life to this game and this guy comes in and thinks he can play?

he better have a great work ethic and like I said, just shut up and work harder than anyone there
The Niners have one of the best, if not THE BEST, coaching staff in the NFL. With the Niners, Okoye will have the best opportunity at an NFL career.

Jason Pierre-Paul was a Junior in high school when he started playing football. Ziggy Ansah and Margus Hunt haven't played much either, but the athleticism is there, and it's rare! Two years is a realistic projection for Okoye to be on the 53 man roster. Therefore, it's important to keep your expectations for him in check and be patient.

Alex Boone is a good example of a player who developed nicely within the 49ers system.

Harbaugh recently said that he see's something special in Ricardo Lockette. Lockette is 27 years old, so he obviously needed time to reach his full potential.

He decided to compete in discus because London was hosting the Olympics. He was like, "Uhhh, I want to be in the Olympics. I'll learn discus!" He learned it and became #5 in the world. I'm very excited to see what he becomes, now that he's focussed on football.

lol

I don't see this guys succeeding in the NFL. He's going up against some of the best athletes at any position, and they have been playing football for most of their adult life. But good luck to him all the same.

"BYU defensive end Ezekiel Ansah and SMU defensive end Margus Hunt each have limited football background, but their physical tools are unbelievable, and both will be working toward a starting role in the NFL courtesy of first- and second-round selections, respectively."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1621673-lawrence-okoyes-rookie-projections-with-san-francisco-49ers
But they do have some experience against NCAA talent. This kid is going to be getting hit by Pro's day 1. That's one hell of a baptism.
Lawrence Okoye ‏@Okoye

This was taken in our London office...just in time for our London game this year.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Lawrence Okoye ‏@Okoye

This was taken in our London office...just in time for our London game this year.

He has yet to complete his medical and Jed still has to pay the transfer fee to Arsenal...
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Lawrence Okoye ‏@Okoye

He has yet to complete his medical and Jed still has to pay the transfer fee to Arsenal...

LOL!!!!
lol

Those players have proven, even if only for one snap, one game, one week, that they can actually do something on a football field.
If Okoye had played for a year and demonstrated something similar to those guys, then he obviously would have been drafted. For right now, he is just "some guy" with big muscles.

For every Margus Hunt, there are probably 10 similar athletes who couldn't cut it in football. Of course, you only hear the success stories, you never hear about the "Margus Hunts" who had no talent for the game.
Share 49ersWebzone