LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 132 users in the forums

Lawrence Okoye Thread of Epic Awesomeness

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jimrat:
34 1/2 arm length http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/lawrence-okoye?id=2541134

Nice - I wonder why he went undrafted though - GM's must think he won't be ready to play until his contract ends, but if nothing else, that would give us an advantage to re-sign him. This could end up being the equivalent of a 2016 2nd round pick or so if he develops by then and we keep him.
Although he's as fast as Corey Lemonier and 50 pounds heavier, he's reported to be a bit stiff and slow in changes of direction. But best of luck to him. Tomsula is his best chance.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
We're converting this guy to either TE or DB, I totally see it coming, he's gonna become something really f**king special for us once we coach him up to the game's standards.

I mean seriously, this guy has the strength and body of a lineman, but THE SPEED OF A RECEIVER. -Nobody is gonna wanna get in this motherf**ker's face the moment he's out there.

Harbaugh molding the clay once again, and making greatness.

A 300lb. DB?
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
and yeah, he wasn't anything special as a rugby player, but they're different games - you don't get breaks in rugby, so there aren't many 300 pounders because they don't have the endurance. Linemen in general would not be good at rugby, because you need to be able to move in space (some DE's like JPP would be successful though). It's bizarre to me that this guy played wing given he's not very fast - I would expect him to have played forward, but maybe he's afraid of contact which would be a major concern.

Okay. Thanks for feedback.
34 1/2 arm length http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/lawrence-okoye?id=2541134

Nice - I wonder why he went undrafted though - GM's must think he won't be ready to play until his contract ends, but if nothing else, that would give us an advantage to re-sign him. This could end up being the equivalent of a 2016 2nd round pick or so if he develops by then and we keep him.

Who in their right mind would draft someone who never played football lol
Originally posted by RonMexico:

Sounds like something Al Davis would have done.

oh you said "right mind."
Originally posted by ninermedic:

Sounds like something Al Davis would have done.

oh you said "right mind."

First rounder
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Wow.... Okoye will be joing our DL.. I wonder if there was a deal done under the table which makes me believe that it's the reason why we didn't draft jesse williams.

GO NINERS!!!
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Although he's as fast as Corey Lemonier and 50 pounds heavier, he's reported to be a bit stiff and slow in changes of direction. But best of luck to him. Tomsula is his best chance.

I think when you're 305 pounds that's to be expected. His agility drill times were either comparable or better than almost all the drafted DL prospects.

If it gives you an edge on re-signing him, then why not? Most 7th rounders never start and this guy has more potential than most players chosen in the 7th round. GM's must think that this guy won't play much during his first contract, but I still think having a better shot at re-signing him in 3 years would have been worth a 7th round pick. 7th round compensatory picks are essentially free agents and there's little risk in taking a guy and sticking him on the practice squad to see if he develops.

Originally posted by 9moon:
Wow.... Okoye will be joing our DL.. I wonder if there was a deal done under the table which makes me believe that it's the reason why we didn't draft jesse williams.

GO NINERS!!!

different positions - this guy is probably too tall to play NT and has long enough arms and enough athleticism to play 3-4 DE in a few years. Williams is a DT/NT only (short arms)
6'6" 300lbs.... 4.75?

reading about this guy, it really does take you back and appreciate the athlete Julius Peppers was/is.... I think some forget he is 6'7 290 and ran a 4.68 40.

but back to Okoye... watching that combine footage....my god, Harbaugh wasn't lying. Just imaging him getting the ball in the open field, with players bouncing off the guy hahaha. But he better be able to secure the ball first and foremost.

I don't know where they'll line him up....but I'm excited that we have him.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
6'6" 300lbs.... 4.75?

reading about this guy, it really does take you back and appreciate the athlete Julius Peppers was/is.... I think some forget he is 6'7 290 and ran a 4.68 40.

but back to Okoye... watching that combine footage....my god, Harbaugh wasn't lying. Just imaging him getting the ball in the open field, with players bouncing off the guy hahaha. But he better be able to secure the ball first and foremost.

I don't know where they'll line him up....but I'm excited that we have him.

yeah I could see him taking Tukuafu's spot this season. He hasn't played so he has yet to develop any bad tendencies. He'd most likely be a beast blocking for Gore/LMJ/Hunter/Lattimore (relieving to throw him in there). On the d line the sky is the limit. I'd take him over Ziggy Ansah any day, he's younger and doesn't require a draft choice.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
https

is right. That dude sounds DRIVEN.

Share 49ersWebzone