LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

CB Marcus Cooper was a Niner

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yup, was pissed we let him walk. I liked both him and Morris. We got played on this one IMHO. But then again, time will tell but I was a huge advocate for keeping him on the 53 after watching him this pre season. Maybe we should just "trust the coaches b/c they know way more than us." LOL

Even though they do by a long shot doesn't mean they are always right. Many times us fans have been wrong and they have been right but at times we are right and they are wrong. Still I think they are in a better spot to judge. We don't know these guys off the field and we don't get to see all the practices unfortunately.

Anyways, I think the big reason we didn't keep 6 is because we put extra emphasis on ST this year after what happened last year. A lot of spots took hits because we went with a ST guy. Right now we have like twice as many ST's guys as last year. Also, didn't seem likely we would keep 6 CB and only 4 S although I would have been fine with Spillman and Dahl since they can back up both spots. Don't think we had room for 11 either. Ventrone seems to be Seely's guy and Lee's favorite personal punt protector so I guess he stayed. I don't know if he's worth 880k though. I guess we can't have it both ways... not enough ST emphasis, too much ST emphasis.....

This is a little perspective. We all know the reason that Marcus Cooper isn't on the team now. He wasn't going to make the 53-man with us already having 5 corners. We did have the foresight to plan beyond 2013 and were going to put him on our practice squad, but KC plucked him. They had room and we didn't. However, it is just one game. We need to get used to the fact that we will draft talented guys and all of them won't stick.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This is a little perspective. We all know the reason that Marcus Cooper isn't on the team now. He wasn't going to make the 53-man with us already having 5 corners. We did have the foresight to plan beyond 2013 and were going to put him on our practice squad, but KC plucked him. They had room and we didn't. However, it is just one game. We need to get used to the fact that we will draft talented guys and all of them won't stick.

I never said he WILL be a super star. I just said hopefully this isn't another Richard Sherman type situation. Although that's a little different. I just meant I hope we didn't cut him to have him turn out to be a good physical cover corner we could have used. I know 5 CB's was likely but doesn't mean we couldn't have kept 6 and 4 S since Dahl and Spillman can backup both spots. Yeah you do bring up a good point we wanted to put him on the PS so it's not like we cut him and said adios we don't want you. Agree, with this talented deep roster we are going to have to start getting use to players with solid potential getting cut. We will have to get use to our practice squad getting raided. We will also have to get use to not re-signing solid vets in order to save room for a our young guys. We might have to move on from Whitner and Goodwin who are still solid vets. We already did it with Jennings and Haralson. Just a part of us getting younger and saving money for the future.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Good thing they waived him with all the tremendous depth they have at cornerback. Those extra special team players like Osgood are going to be well worth it. This guy basically locked down Victor Cruz, played physical, fast, looked damn good in limited playing time.
Can't win them all. We thought our vets were better. Vic Fangio perhaps ...

Cooper probably refused to play 20 yards off the ball on third and five.

This is so true!!! Why do our CBs play so off the ball instead of jamming the wrs??
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
This is so true!!! Why do our CBs play so off the ball instead of jamming the wrs??

It's not just our CB's a ton of guys around the league play that way. I think with some teams/players it's the player's choice based on the plays. Others I think the coaches will tell you how they want to play a situation. It's a lot of keep everything in front of you. Give them the catch but don't let them beat you over the top. We play a keep everything in front of you defense. The thinking behind it is eventually you will turn the ball over, have a penalty, give up a sack, or not string together enough plays in a row to get a first down. Basically, make you earn your points and in a 7-10 play drive eventually you will make a mistake or do one of those things I listed above to end the drive. Then you buckle down in the red zone. The thing with playing press coverage if you get beat and your safety is late coming over you give up an 80 yard TD. That's why playing off keeps everything in front of you. We play our S's like 10-20 yards back. Also, some CB's like Asante Samual you will see people rave about them because the guy got a lot of picks and pick 6s at that because he gambled a ton. He was the type that would try and jump a route for a pick 6. Sure resulted in more picks and some TD's but often you don't get their in time and you give up a big play because of it. You can't tackle the guy after the catch if you are headed the other way hoping to have the ball in your hands for a pick 6. One thing I can't explain to you though is why guys play off 10 yards when the other team at the 5 yard line. I get it when you're at say the 10-10 but why play off 10 yards when they are on the 5 yard line? Leads to a lot of easy touchdowns if you do a quick throw since the CB can't get their quick enough. That to me makes no sense.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yup, was pissed we let him walk. I liked both him and Morris. We got played on this one IMHO. But then again, time will tell but I was a huge advocate for keeping him on the 53 after watching him this pre season. Maybe we should just "trust the coaches b/c they know way more than us." LOL

Even though they do by a long shot doesn't mean they are always right. Many times us fans have been wrong and they have been right but at times we are right and they are wrong. Still I think they are in a better spot to judge. We don't know these guys off the field and we don't get to see all the practices unfortunately.

Anyways, I think the big reason we didn't keep 6 is because we put extra emphasis on ST this year after what happened last year. A lot of spots took hits because we went with a ST guy. Right now we have like twice as many ST's guys as last year. Also, didn't seem likely we would keep 6 CB and only 4 S although I would have been fine with Spillman and Dahl since they can back up both spots. Don't think we had room for 11 either. Ventrone seems to be Seely's guy and Lee's favorite personal punt protector so I guess he stayed. I don't know if he's worth 880k though. I guess we can't have it both ways... not enough ST emphasis, too much ST emphasis.....

Sucks we couldn't get him thru to the practice squad. Really this wouldn't even be a topic if Cully were still healthy.

I never said he WILL be a super star. I just said hopefully this isn't another Richard Sherman type situation. Although that's a little different. I just meant I hope we didn't cut him to have him turn out to be a good physical cover corner we could have used. I know 5 CB's was likely but doesn't mean we couldn't have kept 6 and 4 S since Dahl and Spillman can backup both spots. Yeah you do bring up a good point we wanted to put him on the PS so it's not like we cut him and said adios we don't want you. Agree, with this talented deep roster we are going to have to start getting use to players with solid potential getting cut. We will have to get use to our practice squad getting raided. We will also have to get use to not re-signing solid vets in order to save room for a our young guys. We might have to move on from Whitner and Goodwin who are still solid vets. We already did it with Jennings and Haralson. Just a part of us getting younger and saving money for the future.

Now this is something the coaching staff may have to be open to. If they see a guy who clearly factors into the longterm future of the team, they may need to let go of the vet who has already peaked for the rookie. We all know we will be in rebuilding mode for our secondary next year. It would've been a nice luxury to already have Chris Culliver, Carlos Rogers, Darryl Morris, and Marcus Cooper before any resignings or the draft. I think this youth movement will take place in waves. This year it was select vets that left. Next offseason it will be Goodwin, Whitner, Brown, Dixon, and Kyle Williams, among others. The good news is that we should have a lot more room for rookies in 2014 than we did in 2012 or 2013.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Cooper is the chiefs #3 CB now and he had to passes defensed during the game. Just another player to watch while I watch the Chiefs for the rest of the year.
It's only 1 game, but it seems like the Niners let a good one go. Like Smith is making Seattle regret letting McGrath go
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 30, 2013 at 8:23 AM ]
The Niner FO should be kicking themselves for gambling (and losing) this kid while wasting a roster spot on old, past his prime Nnamdi "Fragile Bone" Asomugha ! It's still early but this kid already looks legit and like the real deal. Makes me sick wondering what he could've done in a Niners uniform ...

Hopefully the FO makes up for this error by picking up a stud CB or two in next year's draft.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
How the f*ck do we let this guy go?

Kid just made a hell of an INT
So fumble recovery on blocked punt for td and an int this game, 2 passes defensed last game. At the time would have taken Cooper over Ventrone or Stupar. We better hope Baldwin turns out to be much better than Jenkins because KC owes us for him. Plus Alex seems like 2 2nds wasnt as bad of a deal as originally thought. Although we did turn one of their 2nds into a 3rd so it was really 2nd, 2nd, Titans 3rd. Hopefully Baldwin makes up for it if Cooper turns into a good player.
Please don't get worked up about a INT on Fitzpatrick...
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Please don't get worked up about a INT on Fitzpatrick...

No reason to. Fitzpatrick is good for a few. It's what got him run out of Buffalo. However, we all can admit, this guy was good and is NFL ready.

Baalke seems to have a great eye for finding talent. Even in the 7th round, for all those who think 7th round picks are worthless. Cooper is looking very legit so far. I'm not worried though because there will be talent available in the 2014 draft and I'm pretty confident Baalke can find another gem, in any round. I wish we still had Marcus Cooper though because that's one less CB we'd have to replace.

I'm not mad that he kept Nnamdi who seems to have gotten better as the season has progressed. Baalke saw the chance to pick up a former All-Pro for cheap.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
The Niner FO should be kicking themselves for gambling (and losing) this kid while wasting a roster spot on old, past his prime Nnamdi "Fragile Bone" Asomugha ! It's still early but this kid already looks legit and like the real deal. Makes me sick wondering what he could've done in a Niners uniform ...

Hopefully the FO makes up for this error by picking up a stud CB or two in next year's draft.

Hindsight. Asomugha looked like a really good pick up at the time.
Share 49ersWebzone