Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I still cant believe people are going gaga over BJ.

I don't think BJ is the future but he has more tools than Tolzien and with Jim's molding he might get to be a serviceable backup for us. Tolzien has topped out in my eye and BJ seems to have the athletic instincts to play the way we need our QB to play. Colt has flashed some ability as well. I don't know who is going gaga over BJ but personally I want a guy with ability and I believe Jim can get him ready but Santa can't make toys without the elves
I just find it funny. I've watched the kid play live at USF and the first thing that stuck out was, "he looks like a lil McNabb." The coaching change at USF hurt him and his later injury really sucked. While I'm glad he looks good, it is preseason after all and against the #3's....I'm having flashbacks of the Nate Davis days.

Nate Davis was potato.

There's some differences. We are also not talking who is going to be the backup, but the #3. Tolzien is limited especially when you take into account the skill sets of all 4 quarterbacks. There is one who is different.

I think looking forward Jim drafts a QB "high" and that kid and Colt battle for the #2 spot. Once that happens we move BJ, maybe he takes Dixons spot and will be the emergency #4 QB and #5 RB.

Daniels versatility is another reason Tolzien is odd man out.

If he makes it I need to call my sister in law. She did his rehab at USF personally. Goodies in the mail.

What was his injury again?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Would plaster her nose

LOL what
What was his injury again?

broken ankle...but it was pretty bad from what she told me
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ayetee:
I still cant believe people are going gaga over BJ.

I still cant believe people are going gaga over Tolzien.

Word !!
Yes. He will take our playbook to one of our division rivals. Pull a Michael Robinson on us where we got whipped 31-6 in SEA week 1

Yeah, Mike Singletary and Jimmy Raye were the reason for that loss.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Yes. He will take our playbook to one of our division rivals. Pull a Michael Robinson on us where we got whipped 31-6 in SEA week 1

Yeah, Mike Singletary and Jimmy Raye were the reason for that loss.

They thought we would go up to SEA and bust them in the mouth
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I also remember people being excited about Kaepernick against backups. People compared Kap to Nate Davis as well.

Kaepernick was a second round pick on a playoff team. Everyone knew he'd replace Smith. Nate Davis was a fifth round pick on a sinking Mike Singletary ship.
I just find it funny. I've watched the kid play live at USF and the first thing that stuck out was, "he looks like a lil McNabb." The coaching change at USF hurt him and his later injury really sucked. While I'm glad he looks good, it is preseason after all and against the #3's....I'm having flashbacks of the Nate Davis days.

you act like we want hime to be our starter, we're talking about a 3rd stringer. stop being such a drama queen and be happy at least one of our backups played well.
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Aug 16, 2013 at 11:23 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

you act like we want hime to be our starter, we're talking about a 3rd stringer. stop being such a drama queen and be happy at least one of our backups played well.

Drama queen?

Drama queen?

"going gaga over bj"

he looked good for a guy competing for a #3 spot, what's wrong with acknowledging that?

Drama queen?

"going gaga over bj"

he looked good for a guy competing for a #3 spot, what's wrong with acknowledging that?

If Colt and Tolz looked half decent it would put this into perspective. Because both looked like utter dog s**t, any glimpse of decency will be celebrated. It's not that he looked that great, it's that the others looked so bad.
Tolzien and Daniels will be on the roster. Really liking Daniels. We have 3 QBs better than the best QB in the AFC, Alex Smith.
Daniels doesn't have Kaepernick skills by any means but to me he has too much potential and versatility (which this staff loves) to cut. I'm from Wisconsin so I know a lot about Wisconsin QB's, minus Russell Wilson don't recall any that had NFL starter talent in the past 15-20 years. I'd put Tolzien 3rd behind Wilson and Bollinger but still the guy is very limited and honestly surprised he has made it this far. Just doesn't seem to be improving enough and he is very much like McCoy but McCoy has game experience and a stronger arm. Daniels has a much stronger arm than Tolzien and is much more athletic with more potential. Tolzien seems to be about tapped out at 3rd string QB. Just not sure I'd risk putting Daniels on the PS because I'm sure another team would scoop him up. P.S. Not a knee jerk reaction either if Tolzien does well next week and Daniels does bad I'd still say go with Daniels.
Daniels is the only backup that I want us to keep. Between McCoy and Tolzein, I don't care who stays. Neither offer much. Tolzein is the better passer, but he's immobile and doesn't fit the offense. McCoy has a weak arm, but he's moderately athletic.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by strickac:
Daniels is the only backup that I want us to keep. Between McCoy and Tolzein, I don't care who stays. Neither offer much. Tolzein is the better passer, but he's immobile and doesn't fit the offense. McCoy has a weak arm, but he's moderately athletic.

yea, flip a coin for those two. Winner of the coin toss gets cut.
Share 49ersWebzone