LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

DE Quinton Dial

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
NC...I'm still thinking Lynch will draft a stud DT...say maybe Carlos Watkins, a guy who could play alongside Mitchell, with Dial, Jones & Blair in reserve. Don't know about Tank...this could be his last shot, at least w/Niners. Just trying to get a feel for how many DL Saleh will keep and who they're likely to be.

Yeah, lots of moving parts here...quite a few players with lots of versatility which is good because this defense requires pure 4-3 players as well as pure 3-4 players...hybrid. The big emphasis in this defense is speed edge rushers...we need about 3 or 4 really good ones rushing from both end positions and the SAM and if we tab a guy like Solomon Thomas for the interior pass rush, that's Bryant Young great to have! Physical press CB's who can play zone and a rangy single high FS and an in the box enforcer SS.

Thank you Command...been trying to come up with a "like", and BY is the guy. He reminded me of someone, and i just couldn't peg it. BY...yeah, That is Solomon.
Shucks, now I'm back to keeping our pick when before i wanted to trade back for Williiams. Then you said BY and it clicked. Now we gotta have him and at #2 , we do. NOW if someone wants him, back up the truck, and make it a Wentz 6 pak and make most of those 2 ones , 2 twos and two 3s, in this yr's draft. Cleve can owe us their #1 next yr.

I would rather have Solomon, but if Cleve dumped a 6 pack on us...whewwww.....probably have to take it...but that is solomon....Bryant Young.

And while at it has anyone come up with a better idea of how our DL would look here wth Solomon? Solomon AA Mitchell DeFo and Blair switches back and forth wide, running a 5 man DL. Is there a better way to line them up, if we take solomon? And where would Dial fit in here?

Doc, you have to think of two different defenses. 1) Your "base" defense for early run defense downs and 2) Your "we're coming after you...1 alligator...2 alligator..." defense.

On base downs, with Thomas, it might look like this with Thomas as the 3T

LDE/5T: DeForest Bucker
NT/1T: Earl Mitchell
RDT/3T: Solomon Thomas
RDE/LEO: Aaron Lynch
SAM: Eli Harold
MIKE: Navarro Bowman
WILL: Malcolm Smith

So you've got your good run defenders in Buckner, Mitchell, Thomas and Lynch up front...plus Harold would probably be up on the line as well as would Tartt in the box as the SS. Bowman and Smith. Try to run on us now!

Now within that set, you still have a few guys who will be 1-gapping and pass rushing enroute to stopping the run in Harold, Thomas and Lynch. This will take place roughly 33-40% of the time.

But this is a passing league and you better be able to defend it. The best way to defend it is pressure, punish and sack the QB. Enter your nickel/dime (race car) package. Remove the pluggers and add quickness/speed.

Now with nickel/dime, there are 100 different ways you can go about it. Sub out a fat NT and replace him with an interior pass rusher like Blair. You could remove a LB like the SAM or a DL and add another CB to help defend the pass. You can pull both your run support DE's and replace them with speed edge rushers.

The problem? We don't have any speed edge rushers unless you're holding out hope for Tank. The other problem? We have a lot of interior DL and good run stuffing DE's but not players like Bennett who can do both equally effective.

So even with Thomas, it greatly helps our interior and helps our rotation of which we'll do a lot of.

But we'll still need to pick up players who can play the SAM and both DE spots and can edge/pass rush like mad men. Maybe Tank turns the corner...pun intended...maybe Harold makes the transition and can be an effective OLB and add 8+ sacks too off the edge next to Buckner. Maybe.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
NC...I'm still thinking Lynch will draft a stud DT...say maybe Carlos Watkins, a guy who could play alongside Mitchell, with Dial, Jones & Blair in reserve. Don't know about Tank...this could be his last shot, at least w/Niners. Just trying to get a feel for how many DL Saleh will keep and who they're likely to be.

Yeah, lots of moving parts here...quite a few players with lots of versatility which is good because this defense requires pure 4-3 players as well as pure 3-4 players...hybrid. The big emphasis in this defense is speed edge rushers...we need about 3 or 4 really good ones rushing from both end positions and the SAM and if we tab a guy like Solomon Thomas for the interior pass rush, that's Bryant Young great to have! Physical press CB's who can play zone and a rangy single high FS and an in the box enforcer SS.

Thank you Command...been trying to come up with a "like", and BY is the guy. He reminded me of someone, and i just couldn't peg it. BY...yeah, That is Solomon.
Shucks, now I'm back to keeping our pick when before i wanted to trade back for Williiams. Then you said BY and it clicked. Now we gotta have him and at #2 , we do. NOW if someone wants him, back up the truck, and make it a Wentz 6 pak and make most of those 2 ones , 2 twos and two 3s, in this yr's draft. Cleve can owe us their #1 next yr.

I would rather have Solomon, but if Cleve dumped a 6 pack on us...whewwww.....probably have to take it...but that is solomon....Bryant Young.

And while at it has anyone come up with a better idea of how our DL would look here wth Solomon? Solomon AA Mitchell DeFo and Blair switches back and forth wide, running a 5 man DL. Is there a better way to line them up, if we take solomon? And where would Dial fit in here?

Doc, you have to think of two different defenses. 1) Your "base" defense for early run defense downs and 2) Your "we're coming after you...1 alligator...2 alligator..." defense.

On base downs, with Thomas, it might look like this with Thomas as the 3T

LDE/5T: DeForest Bucker
NT/1T: Earl Mitchell
RDT/3T: Solomon Thomas
RDE/LEO: Aaron Lynch
SAM: Eli Harold
MIKE: Navarro Bowman
WILL: Malcolm Smith

So you've got your good run defenders in Buckner, Mitchell, Thomas and Lynch up front...plus Harold would probably be up on the line as well as would Tartt in the box as the SS. Bowman and Smith. Try to run on us now!

Now within that set, you still have a few guys who will be 1-gapping and pass rushing enroute to stopping the run in Harold, Thomas and Lynch. This will take place roughly 33-40% of the time.

But this is a passing league and you better be able to defend it. The best way to defend it is pressure, punish and sack the QB. Enter your nickel/dime (race car) package. Remove the pluggers and add quickness/speed.

Now with nickel/dime, there are 100 different ways you can go about it. Sub out a fat NT and replace him with an interior pass rusher like Blair. You could remove a LB like the SAM or a DL and add another CB to help defend the pass. You can pull both your run support DE's and replace them with speed edge rushers.

The problem? We don't have any speed edge rushers unless you're holding out hope for Tank. The other problem? We have a lot of interior DL and good run stuffing DE's but not players like Bennett who can do both equally effective.

So even with Thomas, it greatly helps our interior and helps our rotation of which we'll do a lot of.

But we'll still need to pick up players who can play the SAM and both DE spots and can edge/pass rush like mad men. Maybe Tank turns the corner...pun intended...maybe Harold makes the transition and can be an effective OLB and add 8+ sacks too off the edge next to Buckner. Maybe.

Ok, got it NC. I was stuck with our base, our run D. I get it. Problem is as you said, we need edge guys and LBs. Whew, that is just too much for one draft but we can get some of it done....i hope. Thanks.
Ok, got it NC. I was stuck with our base, our run D. I get it. Problem is as you said, we need edge guys and LBs. Whew, that is just too much for one draft but we can get some of it done....i hope. Thanks.

Could easily be right NC. Still think Brooks,AA and Ray-Ray push for starting spots.

I think we could make a massive dent in our defensive needs in one draft. We have 10 picks, and this draft is super super deep.

I could see us getting two edge rushers, a LB, a DT (or 2) and secondary help, all this year.
[ Edited by Lobo49er on Apr 4, 2017 at 5:33 AM ]
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Could easily be right NC. Still think Brooks,AA and Ray-Ray push for starting spots.

Oh yeah, no doubt! And they could end up winning. Throw in the draft and maybe one or two more FA's and who knows what the base and nickel packages will look like.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

I think we could make a massive dent in our defensive needs in one draft. We have 10 picks, and this draft is super super deep.

I could see us getting two edge rushers, a LB, a DT (or 2) and secondary help, all this year.

This is very very possible, indeed.

Oh yeah, no doubt! And they could end up winning. Throw in the draft and maybe one or two more FA's and who knows what the base and nickel packages will look like.

Yessirs!
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Yessirs!
+2

Defense overall was the biggest hole from last year. New Coach, System and draft loaded with defensive talent is going to make a big difference. I think it's why we went so heavy on offense in F/A.
Originally posted by jcs:

Yessirs!
+2

Defense overall was the biggest hole from last year. New Coach, System and draft loaded with defensive talent is going to make a big difference. I think it's why we went so heavy on offense in F/A.

one reason to go D heavy in the draft is Kyles ability to squeeze the most Juice out of our crop which isn't too-too shabby. Build the D up again, but it's not like division rivals offense are scary. We can afford to play things to our liking and prioritize the offense and play good enough D to win ball games.

Yessirs!
+2

one reason to go D heavy in the draft is Kyles ability to squeeze the most Juice out of our crop which isn't too-too shabby. Build the D up again, but it's not like division rivals offense are scary. We can afford to play things to our liking and prioritize the offense and play good enough D to win ball games.

Agree to all that, but still with first couple picks, would like to finish of the O with Williams/Corey, and our potential FR QB, then let the rest be D...just as you laid it out. QB goes somewhere between rd 2 and 4, so two high picks. That would be subject to change, of course, should Cleve do the unthinkable and take Watson at #1. Not counting on it tho.

Yessirs!
+2

Agree to all that, but still with first couple picks, would like to finish of the O with Williams/Corey, and our potential FR QB, then let the rest be D...just as you laid it out. QB goes somewhere between rd 2 and 4, so two high picks. That would be subject to change, of course, should Cleve do the unthinkable and take Watson at #1. Not counting on it tho.

Yeah it's tough. Might be the biggest projection of value collectively at different positions . That's where my mind is at.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Dial is our best DL. ya i said it.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Dial is our best DL. ya i said it.

Damn near lock according to Jared Brown on twitter. Heard hes looking good.
Share 49ersWebzone