There are 147 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by WINiner:
If he does I think you will see GM's rethinking their devaluing of injured players during the draft process. I mean really, is one season missed time worth several round drops? I understand with injury=no guarantees, but with the way modern medicine is treating these injuries they are becoming less and less of a risk.

And because if a guy doesn't show up on the active roster, the contract tolls and it essentially adds an extra year to the deal. They get to recover and get treated while becoming familiar with the players, the coaches, the playbook and then you still get a full 4 years of that player on the field after they've recovered. A guy like Lattimore is coming in as a rookie for contractual purposes but far more seasoned than your average rookie, with a better grasp of the system and with a firm understanding of the coaching staff's expectations....etc.

I think last year counted for Carradine because he was active but even with that, if he performs like he is capable of, 49ers got a top of the 1st round guy in the 2nd round.
Originally posted by dhp318:
If he does I think you will see GM's rethinking their devaluing of injured players during the draft process. I mean really, is one season missed time worth several round drops? I understand with injury=no guarantees, but with the way modern medicine is treating these injuries they are becoming less and less of a risk.

Carradine was taken in the Top 40 picks, he dropped but let's not pretend he fell into the 3rd or something

Yes but it was the 49ers who took him early. They were mildly criticized for selecting him soo high being injured and all. How many teams have you seen other than the 49ers pick a up player in 1 round or less than that injured player was projected prior to their injury? Most teams let a 1st round talent slide to the 4th or beyond before taking the risk. In consecutive seasons the Niners have selected an injured player in the round after he was originally projected to go. I don't see nay other teams doing so. As I said the rest the league tends to wait a bit longer than the Niners, scared of the risk.

Now I understand our stacked roster allows us to take these risks, but if it keeps panning out for us it's not going to be viewed as such a risk, is my point.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jun 1, 2014 at 9:43 AM ]
Yes but it was the 49ers who took him early. They were mildly criticized for selecting him soo high being injured and all. How many teams have you seen other than the 49ers pick a up player in 1 round or less than that injured player was projected prior to their injury? Most teams let a 1st round talent slide to the 4th or beyond before taking the risk. In consecutive seasons the Niners have selected an injured player in the round after he was originally projected to go. I don't see nay other teams doing so. As I said the rest the league tends to wait a bit longer than the Niners, scared of the risk.

Now I understand our stacked roster allows us to take these risks, but if it keeps panning out for us it's not going to be viewed as such a risk, is my point.

After watching his tape and talking to several different teams, I'll be surprised if Tank Carradine isn't a 1st round pick.

— Daniel Jeremiah (@MoveTheSticks) April 2, 2013

There was absolutely zero chance of Carradine falling to the 4th round. He was a highly rated prospect that was seen as a late 1st or early 2nd rounder at best. I remember a few of the CBS mock drafts him going as a 1st rounder to Atlanta or New England. Some had him going far earlier than that. He was hardly a reach where the 49ers picked him.

http://www.businessinsider.com/expert-nfl-mock-draft-2013-4#19-new-york-giants-tank-carradine-defensive-tackle-19

"19. New York Giants: Tank Carradine, defensive tackle

Experts: 5 of 13 agree
"

Look how early Easley was picked this year by New England, coming off the same injury as Carradine. Instead of following trends, the 49ers are creating them. If you can get a highly talented, highly promising pass rusher later than his talent and potential suggest, you go out and do it and don't care what others may think. You let the dumb teams worry about immediate gratification and all that jazz.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap2000000353475/article/san-francisco-49ers-at-forefront-of-nfl-drafts-redshirting-trend
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jun 1, 2014 at 9:58 AM ]
I would love to see Tank beat Ray-Mac for his spot.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

After watching his tape and talking to several different teams, I'll be surprised if Tank Carradine isn't a 1st round pick.

— Daniel Jeremiah (@MoveTheSticks) April 2, 2013

There was absolutely zero chance of Carradine falling to the 4th round. He was a highly rated prospect that was seen as a late 1st or early 2nd rounder at best. I remember a few of the CBS mock drafts him going as a 1st rounder to Atlanta or New England. Some had him going far earlier than that. He was hardly a reach where the 49ers picked him.

http://www.businessinsider.com/expert-nfl-mock-draft-2013-4#19-new-york-giants-tank-carradine-defensive-tackle-19

"19. New York Giants: Tank Carradine, defensive tackle

Experts: 5 of 13 agree
"

Look how early Easley was picked this year by New England, coming off the same injury as Carradine. Instead of following trends, the 49ers are creating them. If you can get a highly talented, highly promising pass rusher later than his talent and potential suggest, you go out and do it and don't care what others may think. You let the dumb teams worry about immediate gratification and all that jazz.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap2000000353475/article/san-francisco-49ers-at-forefront-of-nfl-drafts-redshirting-trend

Not sure you are understanding my argument.

All I am saying is that the Niners have broken the mold a little on injured players, taking them much earlier than injured players are usually selected traditionally.
Not sure you are understanding my argument.

All I am saying is that the Niners have broken the mold a little on injured players, taking them much earlier than injured players are usually selected traditionally.

He's arguing that Carradine wasn't really taken that much earlier than had he been selected by another team
[ Edited by dhp318 on Jun 1, 2014 at 10:55 AM ]
There hasn't been a precedent of teams taking players in the first two rounds then redshirting them as a staple until what we have seen here with Baalke. If it works other teams will catch on and emulate this
In about two years when the Seahawks start doing this,then it will be the Seahawks
Fans saying they started this this trend just like a top defense with controlling offense
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
In about two years when the Seahawks start doing this,then it will be the Seahawks
Fans saying they started this this trend just like a top defense with controlling offense

LOL!
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I would love to see Tank beat Ray-Mac for his spot.

He would have to be severely outplayed for this to happen. Just not the Fangio / Harbaugh way. But starting or not, he should get more than his fair share of snaps.

They should sub him in for both Smith and MacDonald to get his snap count equal to theirs
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
He would have to be severely outplayed for this to happen. Just not the Fangio / Harbaugh way. But starting or not, he should get more than his fair share of snaps.

Yep. But he should DEFINETLY take Ray-Macs spot on 3rd down for pass rush when we go to our 2-4-5 look.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
There hasn't been a precedent of teams taking players in the first two rounds then redshirting them as a staple until what we have seen here with Baalke. If it works other teams will catch on and emulate this

In a sense they've created their own farm system for football. Kind of like a minor-league for their own team.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

In a sense they've created their own farm system for football. Kind of like a minor-league for their own team.

It is the same as trading that pick for a pick the following year, except that the hurt player should be of higher quality than what a traded pick would have garnered. Plus, the PUP shields the player from getting poached if the roster is already choke full of talent. If Carradine and Lattimore both hit big, you can bet that this will be emulated by other teams. What successful thing in the NFL is ever not copied or stolen?
Originally posted by jeepzilla:

lol....it will be revolutionary though when they do it.
Share 49ersWebzone