There are 154 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Tickets Find deals on 49ers games ⇨
I'm not sure if I am a fan of picking the other guy in a draft. The 49ers were in a similar situation when they picked manny lawson. Lawson benefited by playing next to Mario Williams.

TC benefited by playing along side Werner. Hopefully Tank becomes a special player.
Originally posted by fister30:
I'm not sure if I am a fan of picking the other guy in a draft. The 49ers were in a similar situation when they picked manny lawson. Lawson benefited by playing next to Mario Williams.

TC benefited by playing along side Werner. Hopefully Tank becomes a special player.

Or it was the other way around. When I look at Carradine, I see a guy with much better potential than Werner in every way. Had it not been for the ACL tear, Carradine would have easily gone before Werner in the draft. I see almost an Andy Dalton vs a Colin Kaepernick type of situation. Yes, Werner is more polished and ready to contribute, but his ceiling is significantly lower than Carradine's IMO. Carradine is still just scratching the surface of his overall potential.

Carradine was also much more consistent, whereas Werner would have a single 3 or 4 sack game against Bumf**k State and then disappear for 2 or 3 games at a time.



Also..


In the first few games evaluating Florida State, Carradine impressed me and then the more film I evaluated he continued to jump off the film. For a player with limited experience, I was shocked at how instinctive, smart and technically sound he is. Displaying great competitiveness on every snap, Carradine made a ton of plays through sheer effort and hustle chasing down ball carriers 10+ yards down the field. Although he was often the last defensive linemen moving at the snap, he was by far the most productive of Florida State's defensive linemen in the five games evaluated - He was involved in 1 play out of every 7.31 snaps which is a rare ratio and usually that of a Top Five Overall Pick. In the end, Carradine's play on the field no doubt warrants being picked in the Top Ten, but the health of his right knee will be the primary determining factor in where he gets drafted. If his knee checks out and NFL medical personnel feel that he will return to 100% within a season or two then he will likely be a first round pick, but if there are any medical questions he will slide into the second round. I believe that while he will likely need a season to get back to 100%, by the 2014 season he will be a starting defensive end and eventually a high end starter.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jun 2, 2013 at 12:20 PM ]
What makes Werner more polished?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Or it was the other way around. When I look at Carradine, I see a guy with much better potential than Werner in every way. Had it not been for the ACL tear, Carradine would have easily gone before Werner in the draft. I see almost an Andy Dalton vs a Colin Kaepernick type of situation. Yes, Werner is more polished and ready to contribute, but his ceiling is significantly lower than Carradine's IMO. Carradine is still just scratching the surface of his overall potential.

Carradine was also much more consistent, whereas Werner would have a single 3 or 4 sack game against Bumf**k State and then disappear for 2 or 3 games at a time.



Also..


In the first few games evaluating Florida State, Carradine impressed me and then the more film I evaluated he continued to jump off the film. For a player with limited experience, I was shocked at how instinctive, smart and technically sound he is. Displaying great competitiveness on every snap, Carradine made a ton of plays through sheer effort and hustle chasing down ball carriers 10+ yards down the field. Although he was often the last defensive linemen moving at the snap, he was by far the most productive of Florida State's defensive linemen in the five games evaluated - He was involved in 1 play out of every 7.31 snaps which is a rare ratio and usually that of a Top Five Overall Pick. In the end, Carradine's play on the field no doubt warrants being picked in the Top Ten, but the health of his right knee will be the primary determining factor in where he gets drafted. If his knee checks out and NFL medical personnel feel that he will return to 100% within a season or two then he will likely be a first round pick, but if there are any medical questions he will slide into the second round. I believe that while he will likely need a season to get back to 100%, by the 2014 season he will be a starting defensive end and eventually a high end starter.

I hope he becomes a beast.
Originally posted by Hopper:
What makes Werner more polished?

Extra year at a big school. More games played and more sacks. Probably a little easier for him to go from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB, Tank is gonna have to put on 15 or 20 pounds and play 3-4 DE. Though I expect him to play all over this year.
For a while Werner was talked about as a top 5 pick. Carradine without the injury could've probably been a top 15 pick. If Brandon Jenkins never got injured though then he would have likely gone before Carradine. I think both will be great players.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Jun 3, 2013 at 3:01 PM ]
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 19,221
When is Tank expected to to be able to play? I know he's recovering from a serious injury. Since rookies are never accustomed to playing 16+ games, I think it may actually benefit him to come in around week 8 and give the defense a boost for the second half of the season.
Any idea on when he can start to practice?
I love this pick but wasn't Werner consistently double teamed while carradine took on a single olineman?
from they way fangio talks, it sounds like he's not banking on him making any contribution at all this year.
Originally posted by Hopper:
What makes Werner more polished?


Agreed. Tank can play more positions and has played all his life. Werner not so much.

Originally posted by ninergold:
from they way fangio talks, it sounds like he's not banking on him making any contribution at all this year.


Everything I have seen Fangio is saying he will play like Aldon did his first year.
Just get Smith, Aldon, and Tank on the field at the same time.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 26,584
Originally posted by jreff22:
Just get Smith, Aldon, and Tank on the field at the same time.

fans from other teams will say Niners are cheating
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Extra year at a big school. More games played and more sacks. Probably a little easier for him to go from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB, Tank is gonna have to put on 15 or 20 pounds and play 3-4 DE. Though I expect him to play all over this year.
For a while Werner was talked about as a top 5 pick. Carradine without the injury could've probably been a top 15 pick. If Brandon Jenkins never got injured though then he would have likely gone before Carradine. I think both will be great players.

Carradine without the injury would have easily been in the discussion to be in the Top 10. As before, Werner, more polished and experienced now, but a more limited upside than Carradine. Take away that knee injury and Carradine would have gone before Werner.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 10, 2013 at 5:44 PM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
Just get Smith, Aldon, and Tank on the field at the same time.

And Lemonier for good measure.




In before "we signed our entire secondary from the CFL and not a single f**k was given on that or any other day."
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Aug 10, 2013 at 5:46 PM ]
Share 49erswebzone