There are 261 users in the forums

Tank Carradine Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by jreff22:
This will end up being our best pick of the draft. I think Ray McDonald should be worrying about his job.

he will replace Justin not RayMac

I think he will be good enough to play both sides and spell RayMac also. IMO

Agreed, but in the long run, my money is on Quinton Dial replacing RayMac. He's much more of a prototypical 5-technique which is the role Ray plays.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
This will end up being our best pick of the draft. I think Ray McDonald should be worrying about his job.

Agreed, but in the long run, my money is on Quinton Dial replacing RayMac. He's much more of a prototypical 5-technique which is the role Ray plays.

Ray could go for another 7ish years possibly.
McDonald is underrated, but Fangio knows how good he is. McDonald and Brooks doesn't get the star recognition because they play on the strong side which usually is to first contain the run, pass rushing is secondary. Fangio appreciate Ray Ray a lot more than some of the fans here. Qb pressure doesn't necessary has to be sacks to the coaches, as long as he/they collapsed the pocket quickly that counts as pressure too.
I don't think anybody's job is in jeopardy, I think this was a much needed addition to help give the starters, esp Justin, a blow. It would be kind of amusing if we had Justin, mac, aldon, dorsey, and tank all passrush on one play. But assuming knee heals well, he is a spectacular change of pace with Justin on the sidelines. The other thing trent may have had in mind, is with good subs/backups/starters sitting on the sideline, we may get one more extra season out of Justin than he had planned. NObody can take the abuse that guy has and keep playing much longer. If he took half the snaps, that could extend his career a yr or two...esp if tank , dorsey et al play as if there is no dropoff with justin on sideline. We got a later DL pick also who i am anxious to see...not Lemonier but a later guy...a DL.

The more the merrier, and if we can keep justin from getting tired, oh my, what a front 7 that is going to be.
Tank is the heir apparent to Justin, he isn't signed for 2014 and beyond. Hopefully they re-sign him so we dont thrust Tank into starting right away next year, sign him for 2 more years after 2013, let Justin mentor the kid, have Tank be a sponge, take notes, become a monster that all hope he is/can/will be.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
McDonald is underrated, but Fangio knows how good he is. McDonald and Brooks doesn't get the star recognition because they play on the strong side which usually is to first contain the run, pass rushing is secondary. Fangio appreciate Ray Ray a lot more than some of the fans here. Qb pressure doesn't necessary has to be sacks to the coaches, as long as he/they collapsed the pocket quickly that counts as pressure too.

Brooks gets too much flak. He also play End, he played 92% of the defensive snaps last year, he, Justin, Aldon and Ray Mac played 90%+ snaps last year, can't have that. We need help. Brooks isn't a top notch OLB, but if he gets his sacks up, he is well worth the mone, if he isn't already.

Anyone thinking Brooks is goner, is wrong. Lemonier will be a great spell for Brooks if need be in the future.

Ray mac is a beast, underrated.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Tank is the heir apparent to Justin, he isn't signed for 2014 and beyond. Hopefully they re-sign him so we dont thrust Tank into starting right away next year, sign him for 2 more years after 2013, let Justin mentor the kid, have Tank be a sponge, take notes, become a monster that all hope he is/can/will be.

2 years would be ideal IMO. Unless that 3rd year we know for sure we are winning a Superbowl.

I have a feeling a lot of guys will hold on until we get atleast 1: Gore, Justin, Jennings, Goodwin, Nnamdi maybe even Rogers
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

God I hope not, I really hope Eric Reid is the best pick of the draft.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

God I hope not, I really hope Eric Reid is the best pick of the draft.

We certainly need him to be, or we're gonna have a gaping hole back there.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Ray could go for another 7ish years possibly.

As a rotational guy, maybe, but not as a starter. Highly unlikely to last that long.

Is it safe to assume Tank's knee is much further along than Lattimore's and that he'll be ready for the season? His pro day workout was much more intense and his injury was less severe, but I keep seeing people talk about "redshirting" both of them. On draft day, I was under the impression Tank was almost ready to go.
I think we will use tank like we used Aldon his rookie year.

Fangio said: "Carradine can only hope to be as good as Ray McDonald some day. He's got a lot of climbing to do before I'm ready to compare him to Ray."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOC5EKHCmR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-kWnspysuE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOfp9p7Tbeg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXmrBwNmRgA

I watched a little film on a lot of prospects before the draft but wanted to go in depth for the guys we drafted. Did this with McDonald, hope to do it with most of the picks. Just wanted to throw my opinions out there.

-I like his quickness around the edge. Has a nice jump off the ball. Good closing speed and seems to find the QB in the pocket.

-Looking at him now I see him more of a pass rusher than a run stopper. Of course he will get better at that as he bulks up. It's to be expected when he's playing 4-3 DE there and not 3-4 DE like he will here. He did a nice job moving down the line and weeding through the traffic to make the tackle or help make the tackle. I Seem him take on double teams on occasion. Held his own at times, others moved back, didn't seem to get a push when doubled. Did decent in run stopping (especially 1 on 1) in his own area but seemed better when he was working his way down the line or chasing and had space after the RB had gotten a yard or two beyond the OL/DL. I think eventually when he gets to 290-295 he will be able to hold his own in the run and should be able to keep most of that pass rush ability and athleticism. That 15-20 will be muscle mostly, don't want much fat. Not worried as anybody who is around Justin and this group of players and staff will soon be in the best shape of their life. He will get bigger and stronger while maintaining his quickness or most of it at least.

-I liked his relentlessness when the QB was in the pocket. Got a lot of hits/tackles on the QB shortly after him releasing it. Even if the ball is gone every hit/tackle counts and wears on them. I seen a bunch of tackles downfield on hustle plays. I didn't like the effort on some but those were mostly when the ball wasn't directly in his area.

Pass rush moves... I would say his quickness around the edge is used the most. Bull rush some what. He has a nice move from outside to inside. 3-4 DE's wont use this but didn't see any spins. Saw him dip a few times, would like to see more rips and swims with his long arms but seen some. Too many times just seen him go into the guy not doing any moves, didn't do anything with his arms. So he is raw and still working on his moves but with his long arms and Tomsula they will fix that. Look at how much Aldon has improved with his arms. Also, I'd like to see him get his long arms on the defender more often. Use them to control him. Seems like a lot of the time he doesn't do that.

-I think he did a pretty good job when Florida ran some option. Did well on the pitches inside to the RB. He's got pretty good instincts and recognition in run defense.

-In the 3 games seen him drop once into space and drop once in coverage on a man. Justin drops into space once in a great while to throw off the defense. So Carradine can definitely do it now if they want him to and should still have no problem doing it when he bulks up due to his athleticism.

Summary: very athletic with long arms, very good in pursuit of rb, good effort and hustles, raw with pass rush moves, has some but will continue to develop them and also work on using his arms better (and more), played 4-3 de and was more of a pass rusher, will get better holding his own in the run (especially double teams) as he bulks up. more effective as a quick around the edge guy than a bull rusher but again that will change with him bulking up. Pretty good instincts and recognition with run and option... pitches.... does a good job getting to the qb even if it isnt for a sack... works well in the pocket... pretty good speed and can be explosive in pursuit
[ Edited by Gore_21 on May 5, 2013 at 8:17 AM ]
Yes
Share 49ersWebzone