LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

Goodell wants to eliminate kickoff in 2013 ???

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dj43
OK. I know this sounds crazy but I came across this thread tonight. Any thoughts? I mean, sane, lucid ones.

http://blog.tickpick.com/nfl-to-ban-the-kickoff-in-2013/
Eliminating kickoffs would eliminate job opportunities to a lot of players. He would be stupid to do this.
That article is all fluff. Where's the quote from Goodell or any of his associates even hinting at removing kick offs?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
If it happens i don't mind
Originally posted by Wodwo:

that's a bit of an overreaction, now...
Why don't the owners eliminate Goodell.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

Why would they? Goodell doesn't do anything the owners don't tell him to do, he's a puppet and the owners pull the strings. As long as he keeps doing their bidding and fattening their pockets he will be the commissioner. Unfortunately it may very well come at the expense of the integrity, of this sport we all love so dearly love.
Originally posted by KegBert:
Why would they? Goodell doesn't do anything the owners don't tell him to do, he's a puppet and the owners pull the strings. As long as he keeps doing their bidding and fattening their pockets he will be the commissioner. Unfortunately it may very well come at the expense of the integrity, of this sport we all love so dearly love.

I tried to be less abrasive in my language and chose the owners rather than any other group. We live in sensitive times.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews

Welcome to a rumor from 6 months ago

Forgive me, but this sounds a bit like the tail wagging the dog. I'll have to officially annotate that your response falls under the ideological column rather than the logical column. I do not wish to feed the ideological beast so I will leave it at this, illiminating kickoffs would not be a popular move that would lead to more viewership nor can our personal desire for the disregard of player saftey put us in any position to question the integrity of other puppets. I am one to believe that our personal greed is proportional amongst all classes and all values, but we just have less to work with.

That being said, taking kickoffs away would be a disaster and I do not support it, but I wont be as crass and charge it to a tired populist arguement.
  • dj43

First of all, I don't put much credence in this report. That having been said, Goodell is a pawn of the owners, and the owners are concerned, first and foremost, with their investment. The injury factor, particularly concussions, is becoming a very big deal and the cost of litigation down the road is something that could drive owners to agree to some pretty big changes in the game if it will reduce their liability concerns. To that end, it would not be all that big of a surprise to see this modification be made despite the traditional of the kickoff. Nothing is sacred when it challenges the empire of the billionaires who own the league.
Isn't this an idea Schiano (Bucs) suggested? Doubt it will happen in 2013, but I have absolutely no doubt the idiots who ruin, er, run the NFL would love to eliminate one of the more exciting plays in football, the kickoff return. They've already watered it down by moving the kick up to the 35, so getting rid of it altogether is on the horizon.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Apr 23, 2013 at 8:44 AM ]
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by Wodwo:

that's a bit of an overreaction, now...

Is that the cussing rant from "A Christmas Story"??? lol
Originally posted by Shorteous:

Forgive me, but this sounds a bit like the tail wagging the dog. I'll have to officially annotate that your response falls under the ideological column rather than the logical column. I do not wish to feed the ideological beast so I will leave it at this, illiminating kickoffs would not be a popular move that would lead to more viewership nor can our personal desire for the disregard of player saftey put us in any position to question the integrity of other puppets. I am one to believe that our personal greed is proportional amongst all classes and all values, but we just have less to work with.

That being said, taking kickoffs away would be a disaster and I do not support it, but I wont be as crass and charge it to a tired populist arguement.

Sorry but I have no idea what you are trying to say lol. I didn't go to college, might have to break this down Barney style for me.
Share 49ersWebzone