LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

Jets agree to trade Revis to Bucs

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • JD81
  • Veteran
https://twitter.com/JasonColeYahoo/status/325976188822634496

Jason Cole‏@JasonColeYahoo

Jets and Bucs have already agreed on the trade, Revis and Bucs have agreed on basic contract, deal should be finalized by tonight or Mon AM

https://twitter.com/JasonColeYahoo/status/325989270101819393

Jason Cole‏@JasonColeYahoo

In addition to Revis on way to Tampa, so are his agent Neil Schwartz and his uncle Sean Gilbert. Almost zero chance this doesn't get done.
  • JD81
  • Veteran
Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN10s
Cromartie on Revis: "You look forward to playing with the best CB in league. We felt like we had the best tandem. Now, he's leaving." #nyj
The Bucs spending tons for high price players still wont earn them a spot in the playoffs lol.
The Bucs are getting saddled with some huge contracts (have to see how Revis' deal ends up), are they not? Goldson, V-Jax, Nicks, and who knows the price paid for Revis. Seems like a recipe for cap hell. Maybe not as bad as it appears, though.
How has it gone for every other team that's spent huge prices on elite free agent veterans in the last few years? I find it kind of strange, but it seems like they all tank these days.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
The Bucs are getting saddled with some huge contracts (have to see how Revis' deal ends up), are they not? Goldson, V-Jax, Nicks, and who knows the price paid for Revis. Seems like a recipe for cap hell. Maybe not as bad as it appears, though.

I would say being that the team doesn't have that many stars that will command big contracts in comparison to say the 49ers in the next couple of seasons, I like the move. Their pass defense was atrocious last year. First they bring in a physical element to the secondary in Goldson, now the guy that is the Peyton Manning of cornerbacks when healthy. I'd say the bucs should be competitive this year, but they need Freeman to continue to move forward.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for RishikeshA.
There is this illusion with super rich owners, (are there any other kind?), that they can build a contender with a checkbook. Baalke is doing it the right way, signing top players before they hit the market at inflated salaries and drafting talent that does not have to be paid for 4 or 5 years. I marvel at Ozzie Newsome, he wins the Super Bowl, guts the roster and signs the right people to stay in the upper echelon.
Bucs don't know WTF they are doing. Trying to build a winner through free agency is the Jerry Jones/Dan Snyder way
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
The Bucs spending tons for high price players still wont earn them a spot in the playoffs lol.

Actually they have the pieces to be a scary team. The only problem is the inconsistency of QB Josh Freeman. The dude has Doug Martin, Dallas Clark, Mike Williams, and Vincent Jackson with a solid OL. I have seen Freeman have some great games but then it is like he does not show up the following week. This is Josh's make it or break it year. Dude has potential but does not play smart at times. They have also addressed their DL in a few drafts with some solid players surrounding the defensive side of the ball.
I live in the Tampa Bay area now and I do NOT want to see the Bucs succeed. Even if they build a Super Bowl caliber team, all their games will be blacked out because their fan base is a joke.

If the Bucs make the Bowl, the Bowl won't be televised.

Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Actually they have the pieces to be a scary team. The only problem is the inconsistency of QB Josh Freeman. The dude has Doug Martin, Dallas Clark, Mike Williams, and Vincent Jackson with a solid OL. I have seen Freeman have some great games but then it is like he does not show up the following week. This is Josh's make it or break it year. Dude has potential but does not play smart at times. They have also addressed their DL in a few drafts with some solid players surrounding the defensive side of the ball.

being in cap hell puts them in the Cowboys type under-performers type team IMO. And Dallas Clark isnt a fraction of as good as in previous years. And their Defense is still very suspect.

Yes! Why they're almost like a "dream team." How can they fail?
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by ninerjok:

I would say being that the team doesn't have that many stars that will command big contracts in comparison to say the 49ers in the next couple of seasons, I like the move. Their pass defense was atrocious last year. First they bring in a physical element to the secondary in Goldson, now the guy that is the Peyton Manning of cornerbacks when healthy. I'd say the bucs should be competitive this year, but they need Freeman to continue to move forward.

I agree the addition of Revis is a great move, for them. They're assembling a very formidable secondary. I still think it's heading for salary cap purgatory.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Yes! Why they're almost like a "dream team." How can they fail?
I can't really fault them for trying to improve their team. While I agree the way the 49ers do business is the right way. Build through the draft, reward your own players and fill in whats left over to mid level vets. Without the guys that this regime for the bucs brought in, their roster wasn't exactly bursting with superstars. Their pass defense was really bad last year and now it seems like whenever teams bring in players with well respected NFL accompolishments, everybody harps on them as being too "dream team" like. Sometimes it works. The Patriots offense exploded with the additions of Randy Moss and Wes Welker (at the time wasn't the guy we know him as now). Their newest additions may not be on that level, but they improved an area of weakness. A healthy Revis gives them the guy that many agree is the best at what he does. Adding Goldson gives them that physical player that Schiano is trying to mold this team to be more like.

When the eagles added that all-star cast, they were expected to be playoff contenders before that and that was an effort to maximize that window but it didn't work. It was basically unneeded overkill. The bucs hardly have the same expectations with what they had before these moves as the eagles did before those. I think the bucs improved an area of weakness, rather than made a "dream team" esque set of moves.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Apr 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM ]
Tampa is on the right path to being a pretty damn good team again. Freeman is a good QB and he just needs to be a little more consistent, they have very good skill players on offense. Solid front 7 on defense and now you add Goldson and Revis to Mark Barron and the secondary will be vastly improved.
In that division they have a chance. Carolina, New Orleans, and Tampa all finished with the same record last year.
Share 49ersWebzone