LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 388 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
no enough weapons already? He has Bowe, Charles, McCluster, Fasano, Moeaki, etc. He has plenty of weapons. You are posting like Baldwin is his only option. Come on man.

I did say this in the very post you quoted...

I think it may be enough, but they have issues

What's yer deal?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
I guess the 6 years before that dont count

Did anyone care about Steve Young's first 4 NFL years and should they have? How about Rich Gannon's first several years? It's all about the what-have-u-done-4-me-lately.

That was a serious post hidden by a joking smiley, put together is still as ridiculous as can be. But I'm still rooting for the kid.

Feel free to explain the ridiculousness, if you want. If not, then no problem.

You compared Alex to a HOF QB. And two, its double the time. I know you like the kid, which is fine, but make sure your comparisons are solid if you make them.

It's mind boggling to me that players can't be compared to each other. Why? If someone says Alex Smith is better than Montana it helps us understand their limited credibility. But on the other hand, pointing out that Steve Young stunk untill he had been in SF for two years--meaning five years of conflict and mediocrity in the USFL, Tampa Bay and SF until he was able to break out and become great, seems reasonable. Who knows the future? Perhaps Smith will reset himself and become a HOF QB...I doubt it but we don't know and folks jumping on every comparison seems...needlessly hostile and judgmental.
Originally posted by Joecool:
KC fans, get used to it. Halfway through the season, the homers will say Bowe is actually a #2 receiver and Alex needs better weapons. Or they will say that the two need more time together to build trust and chemistry.

I am already wishing he had better weapons, lol. I think it may be enough, but they have issues at # 2 wideout. Baldwin sucks. Many are whining about the weapons Kaep has, and they have better weapons than KC. Plus, Kaep is supposed to be so elite that he makes any receiver better, right? What happened to that concept?

Anyway, Alex got the ball to Crabtree 42 times in half a season. That's with SF having spread the ball around, having his favorite target VD, having Manningham and KW getting targets, and Jim's proclivity to run the ball as he does. Kaepernick targeted Crabtree about 30 times more than Alex.. but at the expense of VD. Even still, Alex had a 75% catch to target rate with MC, while Kaep had a 68%.

In KC, I suspect that Alex will get the ball more to Bowe than he did to Crabtree last year. They have solid TE group, but no one that Alex loves as much as he did VD. Fasano, Bowe, and JC will see the bulk of passes. I see Crabtree and Bowe in the same mold, but with Bowe having a better catch radius. In the early years of Crabtree's mishaps, I think Alex developed a lack of trust and faith in Crabtree... though I think Crabtree was earning that back in 2012 by stepping up his play.

no enough weapons already? He has Bowe, Charles, McCluster, Fasano, Moeaki, etc. He has plenty of weapons. You are posting like Baldwin is his only option. Come on man.

Those are some good players, though I'm not very familiar with Moeaki.
Hopefully scheme will help in getting the ball to these players.
Baldwin doesn't look to be much help, at least so far this pre-season. That will allow defenses to concentrate more on Bowe.
Baldwin was getting separation... just couldn't catch a cold.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Did anyone care about Steve Young's first 4 NFL years and should they have? How about Rich Gannon's first several years? It's all about the what-have-u-done-4-me-lately.

That was a serious post hidden by a joking smiley, put together is still as ridiculous as can be. But I'm still rooting for the kid.

You compared Alex to a HOF QB. And two, its double the time. I know you like the kid, which is fine, but make sure your comparisons are solid if you make them.

It's mind boggling to me that players can't be compared to each other. Why? If someone says Alex Smith is better than Montana it helps us understand their limited credibility. But on the other hand, pointing out that Steve Young stunk untill he had been in SF for two years--meaning five years of conflict and mediocrity in the USFL, Tampa Bay and SF until he was able to break out and become great, seems reasonable. Who knows the future? Perhaps Smith will reset himself and become a HOF QB...I doubt it but we don't know and folks jumping on every comparison seems...needlessly hostile and judgmental.

People like to assume that a comparison is always to be made in wholes.
It allows them to attack and antagonize.

It is forbidden to find any parallels between situations, if one player is far-and-away the better player.
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/8/19/4635832/jamaal-charles-injury-improving-preseason-playing-time-kansas-city-chiefs

Late last week Pro Football Talk reported that the Chiefs plan with Jamaal Charles is to sit him the rest of the preseason and make sure he's ready for Week 1, the first game that counts. Over the weekend Charles, who did practice on Sunday and said he was still a little sore, seemed to indicate that he was preparing to hopefully play this weekend, and his offensive coordinator, Doug Pederson, said it was "crucial" to get him some time because of all the new parts in Kansas City this season. So Jamaal could play this weekend at Pittsburgh? Maybe.

Nick Jacobs @Jacobs71
Jamaal Charles did practice today. He was in all drills. Ran well. No issues. He looked fine to me before I left.
Some cool comments from Alex's former teammates and HC (FWTW)...

49ers RB Frank Gore:
"It was strange. He did a pretty good job tonight. I am happy he's on a team that has great weapons. When they [the Chiefs] have a quarterback, they can do something. I am happy to see he is the man. Alex and I go back, we came [into the league] together. I just saw him go through so much. To see what he went through last year and now he's on what, I think, will be a good team. With the guys he has around him, I think he'll have a great year."
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/8/17/4630602/kc-chiefs-alex-smith-weird-49ers/in/4392323
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

And there are people around here who still think he's a top flight QB. What a joke. Limited QBs do not win.

This was a great call by Fangio on 3rd down.

It's surprising how Smith didn't recognize this blitz when he's supposed to be really good at pre-snap reads. And from this gif it seems like he actually seen Nnamdi coming, why not make em pay for the blitz?!
Yeah, he screwed up on that play. Pretty sure we could nit-pick plays from every QB that can make them look silly though. This isn't Madden where we the QB can actually see the whole field on our TV screen. He never looked back to the left... ooops.
[ Edited by Mr.Mcgibblets on Aug 19, 2013 at 8:29 AM ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:

And there are people around here who still think he's a top flight QB. What a joke. Limited QBs do not win.

This was a great call by Fangio on 3rd down.

It's surprising how Smith didn't recognize this blitz when he's supposed to be really good at pre-snap reads. And from this gif it seems like he actually seen Nnamdi coming, why not make em pay for the blitz?!

Smith always preaches ..take what the defense gives you, take what the defense gives you, take what the defense gives you...i guess he didn't want embarrass us that game

such a good dude
Yeah, he screwed up on that play. Pretty sure we could nit-pick plays from every QB that can make them look silly though. This isn't Madden where we the QB can actually see the whole field on our TV screen. He never looked back to the left... ooops.

CB blitz is the perfect play vs Smith. This leaves man on the WRs with the all LBs to handle the TEs and backs for the check downs. Force Smith to throw to receivers in man coverage.

I hope to see Baldwin that open in a Niners uniform. The dude is big.
Now that the Chiefs have AJ Jenkins, I'm saying 16-0 for the Chiefs!
Originally posted by GNielsen:

I hope to see Baldwin that open in a Niners uniform. The dude is big.

HUGE !
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Now that the Chiefs have AJ Jenkins, I'm saying 16-0 for the Chiefs!

he better put on some more weight and get used to blocking
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

steve young was good with niners, very bad with tampa----alex smith was bad with nolan, very good with harbaugh....my conclusion, coaching and having good players to work with makes a difference in how a qb performs...
Share 49ersWebzone