LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Too bad fellow poster Mcnugget didnt

I felt I kind of did. I mean, Steve Young was pretty miserable in Tampa Bay, but he turned out to be pretty good after solid coaching and an upgraded team around him. Alex was miserable his first year.. decent but unspectacular his 2nd year.. then injured the next 2.. then after being done playing with lousy HCs, looked pretty good under quality coaching and an upgraded team. Young's career is done... Alex still has years left to continue to trend upward. Will he? or is this the best he can be? Hell, I don't know.. nobody really does.

Your comparison is based on the assumption that Alex will continue to have the same success he had in SF. The inference being that Alex can succeed independently from Jim Harbaugh's coaching, which has not been proven in his 8 year career. This is a player that failed under 6 coordinators before a head coach/OC tailored a playbook to his limited strengths, and even with that most NFL pundits considered him the weak link on our offense.

Regardless of his status as a former 49er, a quick analysis of his career favors him receding in KC -- especially since he is now playing for a coach who relies HEAVILY on QB play for team success. Andy Reid's resume of success is mostly based on having quarterbacks that can lead their teams to victory, irrespective of their oline, WRs, oline, etc.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
I guess the 6 years before that dont count

Did anyone care about Steve Young's first 4 NFL years and should they have? How about Rich Gannon's first several years? It's all about the what-have-u-done-4-me-lately.

That was a serious post hidden by a joking smiley, put together is still as ridiculous as can be. But I'm still rooting for the kid.

Feel free to explain the ridiculousness, if you want. If not, then no problem.

You compared Alex to a HOF QB. And two, its double the time. I know you like the kid, which is fine, but make sure your comparisons are solid if you make them.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
You compared Alex to a HOF QB. And two, its double the time. I know you like the kid, which is fine, but make sure your comparisons are solid if you make them.

I guess you disagree with #1346 then. Okay.

No offense to Steve Young, who is easily in my top 10 of 49ers ever.
Originally posted by captveg:
Don't misunderstand me - I'm not saying the 49ers did anything wrong, as they had reason to work on blitz packages. I'm simply saying that the Chiefs didn't game plan to counteract any blitz packages, regardless of the type, because they are game planning for Week 1, not Pre-season Week 2.

I actually think the Saints DID do something wrong. They brought the house over and over from the very beginning. They blitzed multiple rushers constantly. It just seemed low class to me and I think they were trying to show up Harbaugh in his first outing. And, let's not forget that later that year we found out that the Saints were, indeed, a low-class outfit with no respect for the game. The Niners brought designed 1-db blitzes to put pressure on the other db's in a given package.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by captveg:
Don't misunderstand me - I'm not saying the 49ers did anything wrong, as they had reason to work on blitz packages. I'm simply saying that the Chiefs didn't game plan to counteract any blitz packages, regardless of the type, because they are game planning for Week 1, not Pre-season Week 2.

I actually think the Saints DID do something wrong. They brought the house over and over from the very beginning. They blitzed multiple rushers constantly. It just seemed low class to me and I think they were trying to show up Harbaugh in his first outing. And, let's not forget that later that year we found out that the Saints were, indeed, a low-class outfit with no respect for the game. The Niners brought designed 1-db blitzes to put pressure on the other db's in a given package.

I agree the Saints crossed a line the 49ers did not. But my comparison was that neither the 49ers' offense against the Saints nor the Chiefs' offense against the 49ers had game planned to answer for those blitzes.

I felt I kind of did. I mean, Steve Young was pretty miserable in Tampa Bay, but he turned out to be pretty good after solid coaching and an upgraded team around him. Alex was miserable his first year.. decent but unspectacular his 2nd year.. then injured the next 2.. then after being done playing with lousy HCs, looked pretty good under quality coaching and an upgraded team. Young's career is done... Alex still has years left to continue to trend upward. Will he? or is this the best he can be? Hell, I don't know.. nobody really does.

You're dating yourself...most people forget that this ever happened.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

You're dating yourself...most people forget that this ever happened.

Dating himself or retyping Wikipedia
"Dating yourself" How does that work? Do you take yourself out to dinner, buy yourself a couple of cocktails and hope you get lucky with yourself later?
Originally posted by Jcool:
Evan Silva ‏@evansilva

#Chiefs QB Alex Smith has 14 completions in preseason. 12 to RBs & TEs. 2 completions to WR (both McCluster). Bowe 1 target, incomplete.

KC fans, get used to it. Halfway through the season, the homers will say Bowe is actually a #2 receiver and Alex needs better weapons. Or they will say that the two need more time together to build trust and chemistry.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM ]

Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:

Hope his receivers learn to catch.

He didn't have a good enough angle to make the throw while hitting the receiver in stride, so he did the right/smart thing and threw the ball away instead of throwing a pic and/or getting himself and the receiver blew up. Sometimes you have to live to fight another day instead of always trying to put a cape on like Romo.

He doesnt even give his guys a chance. Typical Alex.

typical alex 19-5-1 past 2 years...maybe you would prefer typical mark sanchez...by the way why didnt you post the deep pass to baldwin where ashomoghua and baldwin feet tangled...that might have been a score but for the entaglement but i guess that didnt fit the agenda....i mean if that had been a niners going down on the route i dont think niners fans blame the qb

I guess the 6 years before that dont count

they count but how relevant are they to the qb he is right now?

By the way two were ruined by injury, 1 was pretty good under turner and the first was with a crappy team and a crappy coach
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9plNqVr2qRo 1:23 would have gotenn nujmber SIX
Originally posted by Joecool:
KC fans, get used to it. Halfway through the season, the homers will say Bowe is actually a #2 receiver and Alex needs better weapons. Or they will say that the two need more time together to build trust and chemistry.

I am already wishing he had better weapons, lol. I think it may be enough, but they have issues at # 2 wideout. Baldwin sucks. Many are whining about the weapons Kaep has, and they have better weapons than KC. Plus, Kaep is supposed to be so elite that he makes any receiver better, right? What happened to that concept?

Anyway, Alex got the ball to Crabtree 42 times in half a season. That's with SF having spread the ball around, having his favorite target VD, having Manningham and KW getting targets, and Jim's proclivity to run the ball as he does. Kaepernick targeted Crabtree about 30 times more than Alex.. but at the expense of VD. Even still, Alex had a 75% catch to target rate with MC, while Kaep had a 68%.

In KC, I suspect that Alex will get the ball more to Bowe than he did to Crabtree last year. They have solid TE group, but no one that Alex loves as much as he did VD. Fasano, Bowe, and JC will see the bulk of passes. I see Crabtree and Bowe in the same mold, but with Bowe having a better catch radius. In the early years of Crabtree's mishaps, I think Alex developed a lack of trust and faith in Crabtree... though I think Crabtree was earning that back in 2012 by stepping up his play.
Originally posted by Joecool:

I am already wishing he had better weapons, lol. I think it may be enough, but they have issues at # 2 wideout. Baldwin sucks. Many are whining about the weapons Kaep has, and they have better weapons than KC. Plus, Kaep is supposed to be so elite that he makes any receiver better, right? What happened to that concept?

Anyway, Alex got the ball to Crabtree 42 times in half a season. That's with SF having spread the ball around, having his favorite target VD, having Manningham and KW getting targets, and Jim's proclivity to run the ball as he does. Kaepernick targeted Crabtree about 30 times more than Alex.. but at the expense of VD. Even still, Alex had a 75% catch to target rate with MC, while Kaep had a 68%.

In KC, I suspect that Alex will get the ball more to Bowe than he did to Crabtree last year. They have solid TE group, but no one that Alex loves as much as he did VD. Fasano, Bowe, and JC will see the bulk of passes. I see Crabtree and Bowe in the same mold, but with Bowe having a better catch radius. In the early years of Crabtree's mishaps, I think Alex developed a lack of trust and faith in Crabtree... though I think Crabtree was earning that back in 2012 by stepping up his play.

no enough weapons already? He has Bowe, Charles, McCluster, Fasano, Moeaki, etc. He has plenty of weapons. You are posting like Baldwin is his only option. Come on man.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
"Dating yourself" How does that work? Do you take yourself out to dinner, buy yourself a couple of cocktails and hope you get lucky with yourself later?

Be sure to wear a condom. You don't know where you've been and you don't want to get yourself pregnant.
Share 49ersWebzone